C. W. BAKER
C. W. Baker commenced the general merchandise business in 1869, at the east end of town, and removed to the east side of the new square in 1880. He handles clothing, gents' furnishing goods, boots and shoes, jewelry, etc. C. W. Baker was born in Maine, in 1823. He came to Iowa in 1853, and to Cass county early in 1858, locating in Lewis. In February, 1858, he made the first set of harness ever made in Cass county, for Dr. Carey. He was married in Lewis, January 1, 1862, to Sarah Allen. They have two children. He is a member of the Masonic Order.
The business now carried on by Perkins & Wherry was established by Alexander McKinney. In February, 1881, D. M. Perkins bought a half interest, and March 10, 1882, the other half. On May 28, 1882, J. P. Wherry purchased a half interest in the business, and no changes have been made in the proprieship [sic proprietorship] since that time. They handle a general stock, including dry goods, groceries, boots and shoes, crockery, flour and feed. Their building is 20x70 feet.
Contributed by Lisa Varnes-Rex from "History of Cass County, Iowa. Together With Sketches of its Towns, Villages and Townships, Educational, Civil, Military and Political History: Portraits of Prominent Persons, and Biographies of Old Settlers and Representative Citizens." Springfield, Ill.: Continental Historical Company, 1884, pg. 535.