Vincent M. Conrad
Vincent M. Conrad, who still resides in the vicinity of the old Indian town, came to the county first in 1850, when he made a claim and built a cabin, and returned to Dubuque county, expecting to come back here in the spring of 1851, but was prevented from doing so in that spring on account of the high water. He came, however, in 1852 and took possession of the cabin he had left, which was on the farm now occupied by Jacob Stevens. Mr. Conrad recollects attending an election while in the county in 1850, but does not recollect the number of votes polled, In that year there was a hack run from Council Bluffs to Des Moines, via Cold Spring and the hack had no house at which to stop between Cold Spring and Winterset. The driver and his passengers, if he had any, camped out, and their first camping place after leaving Cold Spring or Indiantown was at what afterward was called Hedge's Grove, now known as Gaylord's Grove, in Union township, During the winters of 1852-3-4 a dancing school was regularly conducted at Mr. Conrad's house, where old and young who "thought it no sin, stepped to the notes of the sweet violin."
From "History of Cass County, Iowa Together With Brief Mention of Old Settlers," by Lafe Young, Atlantic, Iowa, Telegraph Steam Printing House, 1877, pg. 6.