Rev. George B. Hitchcock
The Congregational church at Lewis, was organized April 11. 1855. The first pastor was Rev. George B. Hitchcock. The original members were: By letter, David Chapman, Polly Chapman, Charles Baldwin, Olive J. Baldwin, George B. Hitchcock, Caroline Hitchcock, Mary M. Tucker. By profession: Samuel Mahan, Henry Myers, Elihu Meyers, and Amasa Chapman. Deacon, David Chapman. Trustees: George B. Hitchcock, H. Meyers, C. Baldwin; Clerk, C. Baldwin; Treasurer, S. Mahan.
From "History of Cass County, Iowa Together With Brief Mention of Old Settlers," by Lafe Young, Atlantic, Iowa, Telegraph Steam Printing House, 1877, pg. 64.