Wm. Waddell, who came to the county April 12th, 1858, was born in Stuben county, New York, in 1834, and consequently is in his forty-second year. He came out for the purpose of entering a piece of land, holding a warrant for 160 acres. With that warrant he entered the n. w. qr. sec. 26, 75, 35 (Union township) on which there are at present two improved farms. His first employment after locating at Lewis, was that of attendant for a brick layer. During the summer of 1858, he was with K. W. Macomber and others surveying and sectionizing three or four northwestern counties of the State; then he clerked in a store, and in December of the same year he began teaching the Lewis school. In 1860, he was married to Miss Belle Johnson, daughter of Capt. Thos. B. Johnson. In 1862 he was elected County Clerk, serving six years. In 1869 he was elected County Surveyor but soon resigned. In February, 1870, he took the place of cashier of the Cass County Bank, then just organized, which position he continues to fill. In Mr. Waddell's successful and honorable career, and in the career of others of our prosperous old settlers herein mentioned, the young men who read these pages may find encouragement to worthy emulation.
From "History of Cass County, Iowa Together With Brief Mention of Old Settlers," by Lafe Young, Atlantic, Iowa, Telegraph Steam Printing House, 1877, pg. 38-39.