Samuel Smith opened a farm in the south part of the county in 1856 --- Abbott opened another in the same year. Wm. S. Newlon was also one of the early citizens of the section.
From "History of Cass County, Iowa Together With Brief Mention of Old Settlers," by Lafe Young, Atlantic, Iowa, Telegraph Steam Printing House, 1877, pg. 37-38.