Joseph Northgraves built the house in Benton township now occupied by Geo. E. Williams, in 1854, but did not occupy it until 1855, passing the interval between the building and the occupancy, in Cincinnati, his former home. His daughter, Ellen, now Mrs. Albert Wakefield, of Grove City, taught school at Hamlin's Grove, Audubon county in the spring of 1856, which was the first school taught in that settlement.
From "History of Cass County, Iowa Together With Brief Mention of Old Settlers," by Lafe Young, Atlantic, Iowa, Telegraph Steam Printing House, 1877, pg. 37.