In the winter of 1854-5, John R. Kirk, R. D. McGeehon, and Peter Kenoyer, put in sixty days in succession in building bridges and otherwise working and putting in passable condition, a road from Mr. Kenoyer's (near Wiota now) to Turkey Creek, near Lewis. This they did without pay, for the public good, Dr. G. Morrison and others did the same work from Mr. Kenoyer's eastward to Mr. Copic's in Guthrie county, (now known as Dalmanutha).
Peter Kenoyer was one of the old settlers. He improved the place in Franklin township where Mr. Dalzell now lives. Mr. K's home is now in California.
From "History of Cass County, Iowa Together With Brief Mention of Old Settlers," by Lafe Young, Atlantic, Iowa, Telegraph Steam Printing House, 1877, pg. 25.