William S. Townsend
Wm. S. Townsend removed from the Iranistan settlement to Edna Grove, about the year 1852, and made some improvements on the farm where Edward Porter now lives. Townsend broke the first ground in that part of the county, and was foolish enough to grub out a part of the grove for a small field, when thousands of acres of beautiful, uncultivated prairie lay all around him. Edna township was named for Townsend's wife. A post office was established at Edna Grove in 1855, and Townsend was the postmaster. The mail was carried once-a-week from Afton to Lewis via Edna. The post office was discontinued a few years ago, or in fact was changed to Newlon's Grove, seven miles distant.
From "History of Cass County, Iowa Together With Brief Mention of Old Settlers," by Lafe Young, Atlantic, Iowa, Telegraph Steam Printing House, 1877, pg. 21.