Jefferson Goodale, of Pymosa township, settled there in July, 1853, being so far ahead of all others in that neighborhood that it must have been lonesome for a while. His sons F. C. and A. Goodale returned from California in 1854. Frank Everett, Mr. Goodale's son-in-law, came back from California in 1853. Miss Hannah Goodale, (now the estimable wife of H. C. Johnson, of the Messenger) taught the first school in that settlement in 1858.
From "History of Cass County, Iowa Together With Brief Mention of Old Settlers," by Lafe Young, Atlantic, Iowa, Telegraph Steam Printing House, 1877, pg. 12.