Carroll County IAGenWeb


A Record of Settlement, Organization, Progress and Achievement



Transcribed and donated by Marilyn Setzler.



There are two events in the history of the city of Carroll of a significance sufficiently important to apply in the broadest sense to the history of the county. The first epoch dated from its selection as the county seat by a vote of the electors in August, 1867, and the subsequent transfer to Carroll from Carrollton of the archives and miscellaneous baggage belonging to the courts and county—an event which took place at 10 o'clock on the morning of April 28, 1868, being the time of the arrival of the said impedimenta at its destination. Of this nothing further may be said at present.

The first epoch closed and the second began with the great Carroll fire of September 24th, 1879, when, after three hours of furious besetment, all that there was of the wooden hamlet of the early and frontier period perished from the earth.

The Carroll of this day was composed of about twelve hundred people, who had built for themselves a town of flimsy and compactly grouped wooden houses, most of them one story in height. A more complete tinder box could not have been invented by the ingenuity of man. Fourth and Fifth streets, between Adams and Main, were closely lined with these structures, many of them packed to the sidewalks with valuable stocks of merchandise. These endured at the sufferance of the merest chance from day to day. There were no facilities for fighting fire in case of an outbreak beyond the water to be found in wells and no vehicle for its application beyond the ordinary bucket or pail. An event so inevitable as the destruction of Carroll by fire presented itself at a convenient opportunity. A match was carelessly thrown. There was no water at hand. The fire was not aided by especially favorable environments. The morning was without wind and it was not fanned by this natural ally aside from the drafts created by its own intense combustion. Eugene R. Hastings writes so graphic a picture of the event from the scene itself that his story is here repeated in full:

When the freight train with Frank Crow as engineer pulled into Carroll last Thursday morning, about four o'clock, the people of the town were enjoying that profound repose which hard work and clear consciences bring. They were destined to be rudely awakened from their dreams, and Mr. Crow was to be the instrument, though neither he nor they anticipated such an event ten minutes before. From his engine Mr. Crow saw a bright light in Henry Schappman's saloon on Fourth street, and at once concluded that the building was on fire. He jumped off and ran to it and on looking in through the front saw a blaze behind the bar, which could it have been reached then, with two or three buckets of water, would have been easily subdued, but no water was available just at that moment when it would have been worth five thousand dollars a quart. The engineer did the next best thing; he shouted fire with all his might and roused a few men, among whom was S. M. Town, who attached a hose to the hydrant and attempted to get a stream on the flames, but without success. Mr. Crow then ran to his engine and sounded the steam whistle continuously, making an unearthly noise and effectually arousing the sleeping inhabitants of the town. The fact that Carroll was a wooden town peculiarly liable to a general conflagration, has always rendered our people anxious and uneasy on account of fire, and the unusual alarm was quite sufficient to suggest the possibility to most people that a fire had started, while the few sleepy ones wondered why the coal heavers did not attend to that engine. In a few minutes the frightened people gathered in the streets. The fire was still confined to the Schappman saloon, but it was already beyond control. A hand engine would have been easily able to extinguish it, but it is well known that Carroll has no fire apparatus whatever. In an incredibly short space of time the south side of the building was wrapped in flames. A glance was sufficient to show that all the conditions existed for a general conflagration.

The blazing building was situated in the southern part of the business portion of the place. The wind blew steadily from the south and although it was light it proved sufficient to carry the flames directly into the heart of the town. To the north, east and west were two almost solid blocks of wooden buildings. The long drouth had dried everything so thoroughly that each of them was a tinder box of the most inflammable description which a spark could kindle. The wells and cisterns were generally dry or nearly so. There were no ladders and but few buckets available. There was no organization, each person acting on his own account. In fact it was apparent from the first that our pleasant and prosperous little city was doomed to suffer the greatest disaster in its history—a calamity in its scope and extent, as compared with the size and resources of the town, almost without parallel in the history of fires. With this condition of affairs there was but one thing for our people to do, and that was to save as many goods as possible. The area of buildings directly in the path of the fire was crowded with valuable stocks of goods. A large number of families lived in the upper stories of these buildings. At once every man who had property in danger commenced the work of removing it to a safer place. Then ensued a scene which baffles description.

The flames gathered renewed strength and power, leaped heavenward, painting a dusky hue in tinted colors. The clouds of smoke drifted over our doomed city. The streets were thronged with hurrying people bearing goods and valuables of every description. The public square was covered with a confused mass of things carried there for safety. Every street outside the immediate range of the fire was covered with goods. Men and women seemed endowed with superhuman strength and in the short space of an hour and a half more work was done than was ever accomplished in Carroll in three times that space at any occasion before. Thousands of dollars worth of goods were thus saved, as will appear more fully from detailed accounts given further on.

The fire rapidly extended further northward till Schappman's entire building, from Fourth to Fifth streets, was ablaze. The buildings adjoining it on the east and west, of course caught immediately, and the fire worked gradually in both directions. On the east of this building on Fourth street was Efferts' store and the large building owned by J. M. Drees and occupied as a harness shop by L. T. Anderson, on Fifth street to the east, Mrs. Kniest's building, occupied by a restaurant and a millinery store, and next came Kentner's grocery store. On the west side it was adjoined on Fourth street by the saloon of B. H. Brees and on Fifth street by Haff's boot and shoe store. These buildings were all on fire inside of twenty minutes.

Some hopes were entertained that the fire might be confined to the block where it originated, but the more observant felt certain from the first that the eighty-five foot width of Fifth street would be no barrier to the flames impelled directly across by the wind which was considerably augmented by the fire. These well grounded fears were soon realized. The awning of Mrs. White's building, just in the center of the block, on the north side of Fifth street was the first to catch and the building was soon wrapped in flames. Blazing brands struck on the front of Hatton's drug store and it also soon succumbed. As on the other streets the fire worked rapidly northward, extending more slowly to the east and west.

No hope now remained of saving anything south of Sixth street. Hoyt's large two-story frame on the corner of Fourth and Main and Burke's hotel, a large and inflammable wooden structure, on the opposite corner of Fifth street were soon burning. The fire here raged in its greatest fury. The fire seemed to touch the sky and the roaring and crackling of the flames were deafening. Griffith & Deal's law office, just across Main street from Hoyt's, was in imminent danger. More than this, every one saw that if the fire effected a lodgment there all that block of buildings, including the Hovey House and Olmstead's livery stable, must inevitably go. Fortunately the trees around this office protected it to a great extent. Between them the side of the building was scorchingly hot. Water was continually kept on it and the roof, and through the most exhausting and energetic work it was kept from igniting, and that portion of the town was saved. From Burke's hotel the fire went up the west side of Main street with race horse speed. Culbertson's bank building, belonging to E. R. Hastings, formerly occupied by the Herald and the postoffice, the wagon shop and Whitman's livery stable, with all the intervening buildings, disappeared in smoke. Meanwhile on the western limits of the fated blocks the fire raged with increasing fury. The wind freshened and shifted a little to the east. This increased the danger and rendered the work of arresting the fire more difficult and dangerous than it would otherwise have been. Keckevoet's large frame building on Adams street, extending from Fourth to Fifth, was the point of greatest danger. A dozen or more men were engaged all the time in carrying water, and one or more hand pumps with hose were playing on it, while wet blankets were kept on the roof. The side of the building blistered with water thrown on it was immediately converted into steam. When Mark's store and Thompson's grocery were burning it was hot work to save Keckevoet's. The importance of arresting the fire may be appreciated when it is understood that if it had burned the entire northwestern portion of the town would have been imperilled. It is hardly possible that the brick building of the Carroll County Bank, occupied also by the Herald and the postoffice, could have been saved. At a glance their blackened fronts will show how nearly they came to going. Beyond all question much of the credit of saving them belongs to G. W. Wattles of Glidden who happened to be in town. He stood on top of the Beatty building, facing heat which was almost overpowering, and with the greatest skill used and economized every drop of the scanty supply of water it was possible to furnish him. For cool courage and discretion we have never seen Mr. Wattle's work surpassed. We trust that our people will appreciate the work rendered by him.

While all this was in progress a blazing brand carried by the wind struck in the tall spire of the Presbyterian church beyond the reach of help. The pastor, Rev. T. S. Bailey, was waiting there with water, but it was, impossible to reach the fire. Soon the stately spire was ablaze and in a few minutes the neat, tastful chapel was in ruins. There were many sad hearts as it went down. It represented so much of self denial and labor, of hope deferred and then realized, of sacred and happy associations that it was a painful sight to see it go.

At six o'clock in the morning the fire was over. It had not been controlled, but it had burnt out to the limits of the thickly portions of the town, and the wind having fallen, its further spread was arrested without much difficulty. The church being brick proved an effective barrier and the residence of Mr. Cudwirth just north of it was not injured. Great care was necessary to prevent the numerous hay stacks and buildings catching fire from the blazing brands that still filled the air.

The sun rose upon a scene of desolation where a few hours before had stood the business portion of one of the most thriving little towns in the state; there was nothing but the blackened and distorted debris of the conflagration. The streets were filled with merchandise and valuables of every description. Bales of goods, show cases, household effects—in short, articles of all kinds were scattered here and there and everywhere. The public square on its south and east slopes covered with law books, tables, furniture, bedding, clothing and many other articles. Soon merchants and others appeared with teams and began claiming their goods, and very soon order came out of confusion and everything was removed to places of safety. Even at this time one could not fail to be impressed with the indomitable pluck and cheerfulness with which our business men faced their misfortune. While the fire was raging all the valuable rooms in town which were spared were engaged and contracts with carpenters for rebuilding were made. Few if any gave up to a feeling of discouragement, but everywhere the feeling seemed to be that there was no use in wasting time in vain regrets, but that the only thing to be done was to face the situation, resume business and earn back by honest labor the money and property which had gone up in smoke. It gave us renewed confidence in the future of the town when we saw its representative men wiping the cinders out of their eyes and pushing arrangements for resuming their business within two hours after they had lost thousands of dollars. While the fire was proceeding northward the intense heat caused it to cross Fourth street to the south. The new two-story building being completed by John B. Cooke caught fire at the corner. Possibly could enough assistance have been secured this building would have been saved, although its height would under the most favorable circumstances have rendered it a work of difficulty. As it was, the building burned, as did also an old warehouse filled with barley standing only a few feet from the depot. It took hard work to save the depot itself, and Mr. Town's family began moving out. The large agricultural warehouse belonging to J. B. Cooke also caught fire and was burning briskly along the south and east sides. A few determined men with buckets formed a line and extinguished the fire after it had gained a foothold which made it appear almost a hopeless task. We believe that it is generally conceded that the work in putting out this fire was the best done, and certainly it was a plucky performance. By arresting its spread the Arts' warehouse, Wayne's warehouse, and Jones & Parsons' elevator were saved. These were filled with grain, the latter containing fully fifteen thousand bushels. One can see at a glance how important and valuable the work was. Jones & Parsons had not a dollar of insurance upon their elevator or its contents, and it may well be supposed that they were somewhat excited and uneasy when its fate hung in the balance.

It has been an exceedingly difficult task to get a statement of the losses. In the first place it is impossible, without referring to books and details, for our merchants to do more than approximate the value of the stocks on hand, and then the amount of salvage is not as yet definitely ascertained, except in a few instances. We make this explanation in order that our readers may understand that the figures are not strictly accurate, but only the nearest possible approximation. Commencing on the south side of Fourth street the first building injured is Guthrie & Bowman's office; the west end was on fire and the damage will not exceed twenty dollars. The next west of this was a grain warehouse belonging to F. M. Cowie of New York. It was entirely destroyed, but being old, dilapidated and leaky its value was merely nominal, possibly $100. It was full of barley and rye belonging to Jones & Parsons, a portion of which was saved in a damaged condition. Their loss is probably $500, with no insurance. Cooke's new building next was a large two story frame which was just being finished. It was worth about $1500 and was entirely destroyed. No insurance. Thomas F. Barbee, an attorney, occupied an office in the upper story and lost a part of his personal property, value not stated, and no insurance. Cooke's warehouse was considerably injured, perhaps to the amount of $200. It was insured for $600 which will more than cover the loss. The railroad water tank was considerably injured, perhaps to the extent of $25. This completes the loss on the south side of Fourth street.

On the north side of Fourth street was a small frame building occupied by H. Lueck—with all the others on that side, down to Adams street it was destroyed. Loss about $750. Next was a two story frame owned by Wm. Gilley, occupied by Mr. Starr as a barber shop. Loss on building, $500. Mr. Starr succeeded in saving most of his personal effects, losing perhaps $75. A restaurant run by Eli Griffith came next; loss in stock light. The building belonged to J. M. Drees, and was worth about $100. Anderson's harness shop was next. Mr. Anderson succeeded in saving most of his ready made harness, but lost most of his stock. He resided over Efferts' store and succeeded in saving most of his household goods. Seventy-five dollars in money made up a portion of his loss which will probably reach $900. He was insured for $500. Efferts' general store was in a building worth about $700. It belonged to Mr. Efferts who also had a stock of goods worth about $2,500. A portion of the dry goods was saved, the loss on the stock being about $1500 or $2,000, or altogether nearly $2,500 without insurance. The building belonged to Henry Schapman and extended through to Fifth street. The south end was used by him as a saloon and here it was that the fire was first discovered. Little if anything was saved from the saloon. Mr. Schapman estimates his entire loss at $2,700 without any insurance. B. H. Drees' saloon came next. The building was owned by Mr. Zimbleman of Boonesboro and was worth about $1,000. Mr. Drees estimates his loss on saloon fixtures at about $1,200. The next building was owned by J. C. Kelly. John Brechwald occupied it as a butcher shop and residence and Thomas B. Reese with his drug store and also his residence. The building brought in a fair income, and taking that into consideration might have been worth $1,000. A portion of Mr. Reese's stock was saved, but he places his loss at $2,000, upon which there was $500 insurance. Nick Schaub's saloon was the next building, a small frame worth about $300. His loss on fixtures was slight. W. J. Bohnenkamp had a building occupied with agricultural implements and as an office. His loss will probably reach $800; insured. Proceeding west we then come to Staak's billiard saloon worth $500 and insured for that amount. Most of the contents were saved. On the corner of Fourth and Adams street was a building owned by Mr. Thompson, Sr., occupied by his son, James Thompson, as a grocery and residence; worth about $1,000 and not insured. Mr. Thompson had only about $2,500 in stock. There were considerable goods saved and it is probable that the insurance carried, $1,300, will cover his entire loss.

Having completed the tour of Fourth street we will commence with Hoyt's building, corner of Fifth and Main streets, and again take each building in detail, proceeding thence to Adams street on the west. The large two story frame of Hoyt Brothers had just been rebuilt throughout. The upper story had just been fitted up in four rooms used by Mr. Burke as a part of his hotel. The lower story was filled with a fine stock of general hardware. The building was valued at a thousand dollars and the stock at four or five thousand. The total salvage is very small, not over $200. The total loss to these gentlemen will hardly fall below $5,000 and may exceed that amount considerably. Fortunately the business lots could not burn. They are among the best in town and very valuable. Near this building, fronting on Main street, was a small frame occupied by Bailey and Fisher's law office. It was worth about $100. The building owned by William Gilley and occupied by the law office of H. W. Macomber came next. The building including bank vault was worth about $800. Mr. Macomber saved all his books and papers and about all his furniture. He lost about $35 worth of hard coal and other things which would make his loss run up to about $t00. The large frame building belonging to J. M. Drees and occupied below by Kentner's grocery store and above by Mr. Drees as a residence, extended to Fourth street and was worth about $2,500. His loss he estimates at $3,000 with insurance of $2,000. Mr. Kentner had a stock of groceries worth in the neighborhood of $3,000. He saved only a small portion. His loss on the stock was about $2,000, insurance $1,000. The next building was a double frame, owned by Mrs. Kniest and occupied below by a restaurant and millinery store, while above lived Mr. Snart and S. P. Hart. Mr. Snart owned the restaurant and saved a portion of the stock, losing $100 upon which he carried no insurance. The millinery store was owned by Mrs. Bemis. Her loss will reach about $150. The families in the building lost a portion of their household goods, perhaps $50 each. The building was worth about $500 and was insured for the full amount. The next building, as has been stated, belonged to Henry Schapman and extended through to Fourth street. The north two-thirds were occupied by Brooks & Holmes, clothiers and merchant tailors. A limited portion of their stock was saved. Their loss will probably reach $2,500, upon which they have $1,500 insurance. The boot and shoe store of E. L. Haff & Co. came next. The building was worth $450 and was insured for $300. O. A. Kentner had purchased it only three days before and the loss above $300 comes on him. He also lost about $50 worth of lumber which he had hauled up preparing to build an addition. The next building, occupied by Mrs. W. R. Mills, milliner, was owned by J. C. Kelly as was also the one adjoining occupied by S. Walz, shoemaker. Loss on both $500; not insured. Mrs. Mills lost $600 worth of goods upon which there was no insurance. The large two story frame owned by Mr. Herman of Boone was worth perhaps $1200 upon which there was $1,000 insurance. Pohlmann's elegant drug store occupied the lower story. Mr. P. loses stock to the value of $2,500 upon which there was $2,000 insurance. This is the second time within nine months that Mr. Pohlmann has been burned out. The upper story was occupied by the Masons and Odd Fellows Lodges. These orders had each an insurance of $500 upon furniture, jewels, paraphernalia, etc. It is probable that the loss is thereby covered fully.

The adjoining building belonged to D. F. Gifford of Sac City, and was worth about $400; probably not insured. It was occupied by G. E. Anderson as a restaurant and residence. He saved very little of his household goods and none of his stock. His loss will reach $1,000—not insured. Stevens & Ludwig, general merchants, owned and occupied the next building. Their loss on stock and building will not be less than $1,800, upon which they carried $2,000. L. Schoeppe occupied the next building as a harness shop. The loss was trifling, the building being worth but little.

The large general store of C. Mark was the last to burn on this side of the street, it standing on the corner. The building was worth about $600 and was insured for $500. Mr. Mark had a large stock of goods, probably amounting to $8,000. A good portion of these was saved by the exertions of his clerks, Mr. Mark himself being absent in Chicago at the time. They were favored in this respect by the slowness of the fire in reaching them. He lost about $3,000 on his stock, upon which he had insurance to the amount of $1,500.

On the north side of Fifth street, commencing at the corner opposite the public square was the large frame with brick addition known as Burke's hotel. The building contained kitchen, dining room, office, parlor, sample room, besides 21 bed rooms. The frame was old and somewhat dilapidated but the brick addition was good. The loss on the building was about $2,500. It belonged to William Gilley and was not insured. Burke lost largely on carpets, furniture, etc., but as considerable was saved it is not possible at this time to make an accurate estimate of the amount of the loss. It will hardly fall below $1,200, but the insurance carried was $1,750. At the time of the fire the hotel was doing a fine business, and was deservedly one of the most popular houses in the state. Mr. Burke will doubtless suffer more from suspension of business than from actual loss by fire, above insurance.

Dr. Lane's building was a two-story frame built a couple of years ago. worth about $600, insured for $400. It was occupied above by Dr. Lane and George W. Bowen, attorney. These gentlemen saved most of their personal belongings, their joint loss amounting to about. $150. Mr. Bowen's notes were burnt, but his collection register was saved. H. F. Flinn, jeweler, occupied the lower story. He saved the greater portion of his goods and tools. His large safe and a number of other articles were ruined. His loss may reach $400. Nockels & Betzer's building was a large two story frame. J. W. Scott, attorney and justice of the peace, and E. M. Betzer, attorney, occupied the upper rooms and saved most of their books and furniture. The building was owned by Messrs. Nockels and Betzer and was worth about $1,000; insured for $700. John Nockels, merchant tailor and clothing merchant, occupied the lower floor with his clothing store, and part of the upper with his tailor's workshop. A portion of his stock, including most of his piece goods, was saved. Mr. Nockels estimates his stock at $14,000. He thinks his loss will reach $8,000 upon which there was $2,000 insurance.

Wetherill's hardware store occupied a well built wooden one story frame with a large warehouse in the rear. Both buildings were worth about $1,500 with insurance of $700. The stock of hardware, belonging to John L. Wetherill, was valued at $7,000. Less than $500 was saved. There was $2,000 insurance on the stock. Kuen & Christen, druggists, occupied a building belonging to Wetherill Brothers. This was insured and the loss has been satisfactorily adjusted by the payment of $307, which was the first loss paid. Kuen & Christen had an elegant store, well stocked. Their loss will probably reach $2,500 upon which there was insurance of $1,000. Scott & Beall, merchants, occupied a two story frame owned by J. W. Scott. It was worth perhaps $600, insured for $400. The loss of stock is estimated; insured for $1,000. Mrs. White's building was worth probably $700, not insured. She was solicited to insure the day before the fire. But remarked that the building had stood for seven years, and she guessed it would stand a while longer. It stood less than 18 hours longer. J. A. Rohner, photographer, occupied the upper story of the White building. His loss, about $400, is not covered by insurance. Hatton's drug store was noted throughout this part of the state as a model establishment. Most of the show cases with the goods they contained were saved, but not much else. His loss on stock will reach $5,000, with insurance of $1,750. Mr. Hatton owned this building and the one adjoining it. The loss on both was about $1,600, with insurance of $750. Dr. Wright's office and residence was over Hatton's store. He saved a good portion of his medical library and most of his furniture. His piano and fine set of surgical instruments were destroyed. His loss may reach $1,000, with only $500 insurance. W. R. Mill's grocery was the next establishment. His loss was $2,000, complete on stock, and was insured for $1,000. The policy would have expired in two days. He lived up stairs and lost most of his household goods, including a valuable library. His loss was quite $1,000. Atkinson's hardware store was in a building owned by F. E. Dennett. Loss on building $2,000, insured for $1,000. Mr. Atkinson estimates his loss at $2,000, insured for $1,000. Mr. Dennett succeeded in saving a good portion of his household goods, but will probably lose $500 on them. D. Wayne & Co. succeeded in saving quite a quantity of goods. Their loss on building is about $1,500, insured for $1,000. Loss on stock $1,225, fully insured. The corner building was owned by F. E. Dennett and occupied by him in his agricultural implement business. Loss about $1,000; not insured. Mr. Dennett's loss on other goods, including buildings, will probably reach $5,000.

On Main street, adjoining Burke's hotel, was Culbertson's bank of Carroll. Loss on building $1,000, not insured. Mr. Culbertson saved all his books and papers. The vault contained a large number of books, including complete abstracts of real estate in Carroll county, also a burglar proof safe with time lock worth $1,100, and containing $7,000 in currency. The vault was opened Sunday morning and everything was found intact. The paint in the safe was not even blistered nor was the smell of fire to be detected in the canvas covered books.

The next building north belonged to E. R. Hastings, and was formerly occupied by the Herald printing office and the postoffice. It was used as a school room; the loss on building was $500; insured for $400. The independent district loses furniture to the extent of $200, with no insurance.

A small frame building owned by J. H. Underhill came next. Loss $300; not insured.

John D. Schmidt's carpenter shop and residence burned next. Value $300; insured.

Hamilton's blacksmith shop was not worth to exceed $100.

The wagon shop and residence belonging to Jacob Dacewitz were both destroyed. His loss is about $1,500; insurance $480.

Whitman's livery stable was the last building to burn on Main street. All the stock and carriages were saved. The loss on building, feed, etc., may reach $800 and is divided between M. Hunter of Exira and Mr. Whitman. There was no insurance.

On Adams street a small frame building belonging to W. T. Minchen and worth $100 was destroyed.

August Staak lost his house to which he was building an addition. His loss is not far from $500. Mr. Jensen, tailor, lost a small house. He says that $200 would replace his loss.

The Presbyterian church cost between $2,500 and $3,000. It was handsomely furnished and well finished. The organ, pulpit and pulpit chair were saved through the efforts of Mr. Bailey, the pastor. The bell fell from the steeple, but is uninjured. There is an insurance policy on the building in favor of the Church Erection Board, which advanced that amount, and will doubtless reappropriate it toward rebuilding. It is thought that the foundation is not materially damaged and that a portion of the brick can be used inside of the new walls. The loss will be $1,600 above insurance and possibly will be more.

The above, we believe, covers every important loss by the fire. It is possible, however, that some may have been overlooked. In the confusion following a fire like this anything like collecting authoritative data has been the work of great difficulty. But mistakes and omissions may be corrected later.

Then the writer goes on to say where firms driven from business by the fire have relocated for the continuance of their business. After mentioning the number that had already begun to erect buildings for immediate use, it was stated that the following firms had located in places named:

George Efferts, rebuilt.

E. M. Betzer, in the court house.

Dr. Lane, at his residence.

O. H. Manning, in court house.

C. M. Lueck, shoeshop rebuilt.

W. R. Mills, Cooke's building.

Cyrus Mark, in Sutton building.

J. W. Hatton, Cooke's building.

G. E. Anderson, Cooke's building.

Seb Walz, shoeshop, in Keckevoet's.

Nic Beiter, new building, in old location.

James Thompson, in Jones' lumber shed.

Scott & Beall, rebuilding in old location.

F. Flinn, in Griffith & Deal's bank.

Brooks & Holmes, in Griffith & Deal's.

T. B. Reese, next door west of postoffice.

L. T. Anderson, in Patty's basement.

Bank of Carroll, in Bowman & Guthrie's office.

Mrs. C. M. Mills, next door to Iowa House.

Dr. Wright, in Herald editorial rooms.

S. Whitman's livery, opposite Colclo house.

D. Wayne & Co., next south from Colclo house.

M. A. Hoyt & Brother, in Guthrie & Bowman's office.

J. R. Atkinson, in building back of Iowa house.

Mrs. Bemis, millinery, in R. K. Town's furniture store.

J. L. Wetherill, hardware, next door to Griffith & Deal's bank.

After the Carroll fire a meeting was held by the city council, and an ordinance passed, as follows:

"That the building or use of any building, the outer walls of which are not composed of brick and mortar or of iron or all stone and mortar, and the roof of which is not of metal or slate is hereby prohibited, declared unlawful upon the following blocks of said town: Blocks No. 15, 16, 17, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, in the official plat of said town, except under a permit granted by the council, and said blocks are hereby decreed to be known as the fire limit within said town, and all buildings within the said fire limits except permitted otherwise by the council shall have iron shutters on all openings, doors and windows towards adjoining buildings in the same block. No license for the sale of beer or wine bought or kept by the pool hall or bowling alley shall be granted except the same is to be in a building, the outer walls of which shall be of brick and mortar. Any permit excepting to this ordinance shall state the time for which it is granted, and shall not be granted for more than fourteen months, and shall be only issued upon filing with the recorder an agreement binding the person to whom it is issued to remove said building out of the fire limits on or before the expiration of said permit, and giving to the authorities of said town all right to so remove at his expense in case of his failure so to do and waiving the right to claim any damages occurred through or by reason of said removal."

A week later Mr. Hastings writes:

"It is entirely within bonds to say that most of our people having lost in the fire were most agreeably surprised at the manner in which they were met by the adjustors of the various insurance companies. Up to that time it had been common talk that the insurance companies would try and cut down losses to the lowest possible figure, but it proved that the adjustors used their efforts very properly to ascertain the actual amount lost and making payment on policies to the amount ascertained to have been lost. Nearly all of the losses have been settled, and the amounts received from the insurance companies in the neighborhood of $40,000 to $50,000."

Marvin Hewitt of the C. & N. W. Ry. on learning of the fire wrote a letter to 0. H. Manning, in which he says:

"Our company will undertake to transport stone and brick to be used in the erection of buildings on sites destroyed by the great fire at Carroll at one half the existing rates for such material."

This is a large concession. The regular rate from Boone to Carroll is $17 for a car of 10 tons, and the reduction will make the cost of shipping $8.50. Material will be hauled at regular rates, and one half the amount refunded on certificate of the agent at Carroll that it has been used for the purpose stated. It is also ascertained that Station Agent Town has been ordered to make a reduction of 25 per cent on all freight shipped during the month of October on stocks to replace those destroyed by fire.

The rapidity of Carroll's recovery from the calamity is told in a later newspaper account as follows:

"It is not quite seven weeks since the fire swept out of existence nine-tenths of the business portion of Carroll destroying completely that portion of buildings and the stocks they contained. It will be of interest to learn how much has been done in the way of repairing damages, and restoring business to its former condition. Permanent buildings have been put up by the following:

"Thos. F. Barbee, C. M. Luck, Eli Griffith, restaurant; L. T. Anderson, harness; Geo. Efferts, dry goods and groceries; Henry Chapman, saloon; B. Drees one story brick saloon; Nich Shaub, saloon; A. Staak, J. E. Thompson, M. A. Hoyt & Bro., H. W. Macomber, O. A. Kentner, Mrs. Beman, milliner; Mrs. W. R. Mills, milliner; G. E. Anderson, restaurant; Stevens & Ludwig, Burke's hotel rapidly pushing toward completion; H. F. Flinn, John Nockels, John Wetherill, Knew & Christian, druggists; J. A. Rohner, photographer; J. W. Hatton, W. L. Culbertson, Hamilton & Daczewitz, C. S. Whitman. It is probable that never before did a town meet with such disaster and recovery therefrom so general and rapid." 

[Transcriber's Note]

Throughout this chapter, there are many names related to the fire and some have various spellings.  The list below is an attempt to recognize those names.

 Schappman, Schapman, Chapman

C. M. Lueck, C. M. Luck

Nich Schaub, Nich Shaub

Mrs. Bemis milliner, Mrs. Beman milliner

Kuen & Christen, Knew & Christian

Dacewitz, Daczewitz   


~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Return to 1912 History Table of Contents