[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Hitchcock, Charles Henry 1832 – 1898


Posted By: Joy Moore (email)
Date: 11/3/2020 at 15:38:26

Source: Decorah Republican June 9, 1898 P 1 C 5, 6

After an illness of nearly three months Major Charles Henry Hitchcock died at his home in this city, Monday afternoon, June 6th, at three o’clock, from valvular disease of the heart.
Major Hitchcock was born in Binghampton, N. Y., April 2d, 1832 hence at the time of his death had but recently passed into his sixty-seventh year. When he was about fourteen years of age the family moved to McHenry Co., Ill. Here he grew to manhood and was married to Miss Caroline L. Hughes at Woodstock, Oct. 21st, 1853. They continued to reside in Illinois until 1856, when, in the month of May, they came to Iowa and settled in Winnesheik Co. After a residence here of about two years and a half they returned to Illi¬ and remained until in November, 1865. During this time the civil war broke out and he became a volunteer from Illinois. During his last illness, after he realized that recovery was impossible, he dictated his war record to daughter, to be transcribed on the book of Col. Hughes Post. From this we learn that Charles Hitchcock enlisted in Co. H 95th Illinois Volunteer Infantry, August 9th, 186{?}. Received commission as Captain of Co. H. 58th U. S. Colored Troops. Resigned on surgeon’s certificate for disability, August, 1864. Raised a company for 153d Illinois Infantry (Co. K) in 1865. Served a detached service on Gen. Lowell H. R{?}sean's staff as Inspector General of the district of Middle Tennessee. Transferred to the staff of Gen. R. W. Johnson. Breveted major by the President of the United States to rank from the 8th day of March, 1865. Mustered out at Springfield, Ill., Sept. 21st, 1865.
At the close of the war his thoughts turned westward and once more he came to Iowa, this time to make his home permanently. The family settled in Fremont township and Maj. Hitchcock engaged in farming, and taught school in the winters, until 1872 when he was elected sheriff on the memorable "ticket that wins." This office he filled for one term and was then elected justice of the peace, which office he continued to hold until he went to Washington, having secured a position as doorkeeper In the House of Representatives. Two years later he was transferred to a doorkeepership in the Senate, and here he remained for fourteen years. On February 10th last he was appointed inspector of streets at the nation’s capitol, a position he was compelled to relinquish six weeks later on account of illness. For the better part of a month he was seriously ill, but convalessed sufficiently to allow him to get home. He arrived in Decorah April 23d but he failed steadily until the end came on Monday.
Major Hitchcock was also one of the charter members of Col. Hughes Post and its first commander, serving about six months.
To Maj. and Mrs. Hitchcock three children were born—Helen. Harry and Frank. Harry died Aug. 23d, 1895.
Maj. Hitchcock was the last of a family of three brothers and one sister. The sister, Mrs. J. H. Pierce, died three years ago; Arthur C. Hitchcock died Aug 15th, 1897, and Courtland, residing in Oregon, Sept. 30th, 1897.
The funeral services were held yesterday afternoon at two o’clock, G. A. R. honors, Rev. H. H. Green officiating.
In the death of Maj. Hitchcock a jovial, good hearted man has passed—an indulgent father and husband.

Phelps Cemetery

Winneshiek Obituaries maintained by Bruce Kuennen.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]