Posted By: Ruth Groesbeck McDowell (email)
Date: 3/5/2018 at 16:26:27
From "History of Union County, Iowa - From the Earliest Historic Times to 1908" by George A. Ide
Philip Stalcup is the owner of a farm on section 24, New Hope township, where he has lived since 1895. He has been a resident of Union county, however, from the age of three years and was born in Madison county, at Peru, Iowa, October 16, 1865. His father, Wesley J. Stalcup, was a native of Indiana, where he was reared, and in early manhood turned his attention to farming. He was also called to public office there, filling the position of county sheriff. Removing west of the Mississippi, he first established his home in Daviess county, Missouri, where he remained for only a brief period, removing thence to Madison county, Iowa. He opened up a farm near Laporte, where he resided for several years, after which he operated a saw mill for a number of years. There were no idle moments in his life and, on the contrary, his diligence was continuous and success attended his efforts. He was married in Madison county to Miss Mary Spurgin, who was a native of Tennessee but was reared in Iowa. Following his marriage Mr. Stalcup began farming in Madison county, where he improved land and carried on his general agricultural interests until 1868. In that year he removed to Union county, settling in Dodge township, where he improved a farm of eighty acres. Prospering in his undertakings, he afterward purchased four hundred acres upon which he resided until the spring of 1908 when he retired and moved to Lorimor.
In the family of Mr. and Mrs. Wesley J. Stalcup were nine children, eight of whom reached years of maturity. Philip, the third in order of birth, had a twin brother, Stephen. They were reared upon the old home farm and as pupils in the public schools acquired their education. After reaching manhood, Philip Stalcup determined to follow as a life work the occupation to which he had been reared and purchased a farm of one hundred and sixty acres in New Hope township, where he carried on general agricultural pursuits for three years. On the expiration of that period he disposed of his property and cultivated a rented farm for a year. In 1894 he bought eighty acres where he now resides and has added to this and made many substantial improvements thereon. He early erected a good barn and other substantial outbuildings and has added sheds and cribs, a chicken house and other accessories which constitute this one of the model farms of the locality. Adding to his original purchase, he has on two different occasions bought forty-acre tracts of land and now has one hundred and sixty acres in one body. His farm is surrounded with a hog-tight fence, which also divides the place into five fields. He raises and deals in thoroughbred Poland China hogs, to which he has given his attention for several years, and recently he held his first auction sale. He raises only registered stock, keeping about one hundred head of hogs upon his place each year. He also raises thoroughbred Scotch shorthorn cattle, which at a former date he fed extensively. He has given some attention to the raising of good grades of Percheron horses and has made a specialty of raising black Lang Shan chickens for the past thirteen years. He keeps only those of the highest breeds and has for years exhibited his poultry at various fairs, where he has won a notable and gratifying number of prizes. He is now well known as a fancier and breeder of fine poultry and has sold many prize chickens at high prices.
On the 19th of December, 1889, Philip Stalcup was married to Miss Clara A. Sweet, a native of Stark county, Illinois, and a daughter of Sylvester Sweet, who, removing to Iowa in 1873, became identified with farming interests in Union county. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Stalcup have been born three children: Loren and Leatha, who are attending school in Lorimor; and Blanch, at home. Mr. Stalcup has voted the republican ticket since age conferred upon him the right of franchise yet he does not consider himself bound by party ties at local elections where no issue is involved. He has been a delegate to several county conventions and for three terms has filled the office of justice of the peace. He belongs socially, to the Modern Brotherhood of America at Lorimor, in which he has held several offices, and Mrs. Stalcup has also been an officer in that organization. They are both consistent and faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Stalcup has made his home in the county for forty years and has therefore witnessed the greater part of its growth and progress as it has emerged from pioneer conditions and taken on all of the evidences of a modern civilization. He has advanced and prospered with the growth of the county and though he began life empty handed, he is now the owner of a good farm and valuable stock-raising interests, making him one of the representative business men of the community.
* * * *
Union Biographies maintained by Kathy Parmenter.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen