[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

David E. Lewis


Posted By: Jennifer (email)
Date: 3/24/2023 at 13:39:50

Obit Y Drych, Utica, NY, 7 Jun 1883 (translated from Welsh)

D.E. Leiws Meets with Fatal Accident In a Coal Mine in Givin, Iowa.

Given, Iowa. June 1. We are truly sorry to send word of the accident and death of the ardent Welshman, E.E. Lewis. On May 22nd at 4 o'clock he fell from the cars, resulting in is death on the following Thursday at 2 o'clock. He was buried on Friday afternoon in Beacon Welsh Cemetery. Officiating at the funeral were the Reverends Hughes and Wilson. The large crowd that gathered was a sign of how greatly he was respected by his coworkers and neighbors.

He was the son of Rosser and Mary Lewis. He was born in Cilfach-yr-incil in Llanwyno parish, Glamorganshire, South Wales. His father had died early, leaving Mrs. Lewis with four very young children to mourn his loss. The widow and children lived in Mountain Ash and Aberaman for years. From there, they moved to Treherbert, from which place they came to this country about four years ago. Dafydd married Lizzie, daughter of D[avid] Weeks, in April 1879 , and they came to this country within three months afterwards, according to his mother and her family. They were for some time in Centralia, Pa., where they lived for three years.

He became a member of Carmel chapel, Treherbert, by the rev. J. Rees, about a year before his marriage, and he stayed on the religious ground from then on, until his grave when he knew that he would be gong to his rest from his labor. I was with him about five minutes after the accident happened, and the first thing I heard after going to him was his fervent prayer as he gave himself into the care of God. I know that he, and everyone of us knew, that he could not live, but in spite of that, there were three of the best doctors serving him. But, in spite of great mourning, he died. He had severe internal injuries, which became inflamed about midnight, bringing an end to his suffering. "In the midst of our life is death." Yet it is a comfort to us today, in our grief, to remember that he was prepared for the serious time.

He possessed great musicality and the ability to sing and was for many years in Saron choir in Aberamon under the direction of M.O. Jones. He was at his happiest when singing some solo, duet, or anthem. he sang in recent concerts with prof. A. Powell and did his best in every respect. But to see him today in his grave, leaving a young widow and an 18 month old daughter, and many relations and friends to grieve his loss. A little while before the funeral, Little Ann got down from her mother's lap and went to the coffin, striking it with her littlle hand and crying, "Dada, dada," which roiled up the feelings of all who heard her. As fond as he was of little Ann, he did not answer her as before. If tears could redress death, D. Lewis would be alive today and if wailing and groaning could raise the dead, he would awake. He died in the midst of his life, at 30 years of age, making a sudden farewell to his wife, his child, his mother, his brothers and sisters, all of whom were present around this bed when he died, and together beside his grave [The above is to be taken up by Dorlan y Gwelthlwer.} ..D[avid] Weeks.


Mahaska Obituaries maintained by Susie Keller-McCain.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]