WALKER, HOLMES, PATTERSON, FLETCHER, CLAY
Posted By: County Coordinator
Date: 4/4/2020 at 22:49:08
DAVID WALKER, the third son and sixth child of David Walker, and Jane Holmes, his wife, was born in Adair County, Kentucky, July 10, 1802. His mother was born in Ireland, as was also his great grandfather John Walker, who came to this country in 1826. John Walker was of Scotch extraction. Three of Mr. Walker’s uncles served in the war of the Revolution. One brother served in the war of 1812, and died before he was mustered out. Mr. Walker’s father was an agriculturist; and although living in a slave State, he obtained his livelihood without the aid of slave labor; being an abolitionist, he had no slaves on his plantation.
Mr. Walker’s education was obtained in the common, but not free schools, of Kentucky. Being the only son at home, young David was obliged to spend most of his time on the farm attending school only in the winter. Having an excellent memory, he got along remarkably well; and, considering the short time spend and the disadvantages under which he attended, he obtained a good education. In 1829, Mr. Walker, with his mother, his father having died two years previously, left Kentucky, and moved to Sangamon County, Illinois. He remained in Illinois until 1837, when he came to this county, making his home in West Point Township, where he now resides. While in Illinois, his mother died, at the age of sixty-four. In 1828, Mr. Walker was joined in marriage to Nancy Davis Patterson. By this union, they have had eight children, six of whom are now living - three sons and three daughters. In 1845, the cruel hand of death removed from his side his beloved wife, its first visitation in his family. She lived an earnest Christian, and her death cast a feeling of sadness over a large circle of friends. In 1847, Mr. Walker was married to Elizabeth Fletcher. Four children have been born two of whom died in infancy. In 1829, Mr. Walker became a member of the Presbyterian church. In 1846, he was chosen elder. He is the oldest member of the Presbyterian church in this State now living. He was a delegate to the first synod held in this State. Probably no person has done more to build up West Point than Mr. Walker. In 1837, a warm contest, which lasted five years, was carried on between the towns Fort Madison, West Point, and Franklin, for the location of the county seat. In this contest he spared neither labor nor money to have it located at West Point. He at first subscribed two hundred and fifty dollars, but they did not succeed. Again he subscribed and paid one hundred dollars, and this time they succeeded. A house was built, and courts held for three years when it was moved to Fort Madison.
In 1838, he took a warm interest in the erection of a church, at West Point which was among the first brick churches in the State. Seeing the great need of a railroad in his township, Mr. Walker early began working to have one built from Fort Madison to West Point. He subscribed two hundred dollars, one hundred and ten of which he paid. The road was graded, but never completed, although there is hope for it in the future.
Mr. Walker was formerly a Whig, polling his first vote for Henry Clay. When that party settled its issues, he became a Democrat. He does not adhere to his party, but to certain principles, which must be advocated by the candidates for whom he casts his votes.
Mr. Walker is an active member of the “Old Settler’s Society,” of Lee County.
Coming to this county at an early day, Mr. Walker has identified himself with every improvement, and taken an active interest in its growth. Beginning life in good circumstances, he early became the possessor of a good farm. This he has ornamented with all the improvements that make life comfortable.
Illustrated Historical ATLAS of Lee County, IOWA
A. T. Andreas
Transcription by Mary H. Cochrane, Volunteer
Lee Biographies maintained by Sherri Turner.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen