Newton Newspaper History
ALLUM, BENHAM, BESACK, CAMPBELL, PATTON, ROBINSON, RODGERS, SAGE, WELKER
Posted By: JCGS Volunteer
Date: 2/15/2020 at 14:46:18
A Bit of History
The Newton Journal is the successor to quite a number of newspapers many of which the present generation has never heard.
In 1855, fifty-eight years ago, Besack and Welker established the Express. Frank T. Campbell bought Welker’s interest and soon after A. K. Campbell bought J. B. Besack’s interest and the name was changed to the Free Press.
In 1861 F. T. Campbell left his interest in the hands of his brother and in 1865 he came back and took over the entire interest but in 1867 sold to Patton and another Campbell.
In 1870 they sold to W. S. Benham who later sold to Sage and Robinson.
In 1868, J. B. Besack bought the material of the Banner, a paper which has ceased publication and started the Republican but it failed. In 1874 Besack Allum and Tommy Rodgers out of the Republican built the Headlight.
In 1877 the Free Press and Headlight were consolidated and the name changed to Journal and Journal it is today.
Source: Newton Journal; April 30, 1913
Jasper Documents maintained by Barbara Hug.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen