Riverview Country Club
RIVERVIEW COUNTRY CLUB OPENING IN 1916
Posted By: Sharon Elijah (email)
Date: 5/8/2019 at 09:10:28
30 August 1916 - The Clinton Advertiser
Maquoketa, Ia. Aug. 30--One of the most elaborate social functions of the season was the opening of the Riverview Country Club last night, which was attended by about seventy-five couples.
The club house, which is one of the most beautiful in the county, is situated one and one-half miles east of town at Pinhook. The beautifully equipped club house was illuminated with oriental electric lights, through the driveways and all through the interior. The spacious verandas and the ball room were gaily decorated with midsummer flowers, making a pretty setting for the dancers.
All went out with well filled baskets and enjoyed a delicious picnic supper, eaten in groups about the porches which surround the club house. After the supper hour, while the ladies were clearing away the tables, the gentlemen listened to an address delivered by County Attorney Clarence Ely. Following this the entire party went in boats across the Maquoketa river and watched a display of fireworks. Returning to the club house dancing was enjoyed until a late hour. The Snow White orchestra furnished excellent music for the dancing, and also gave a musical program during the supper hour. The party was a most successful one and these social affairs will be continued during the winter months.
The stockholders of the club are Hurst Brothers, W. C. Swigart, Ralph Stephens and Otto Krumviede. The plan of the stockholders is to incorporate for $1,500 and shares will be sold for $25 a share.
Jackson Documents maintained by Nettie Mae Lucas.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen