[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

Andrew Johnson 1889-1918


Posted By: Merllene Andre Bendixen (email)
Date: 7/21/2013 at 14:06:24

The funeral services of Andrew Johnson who died on the water while on his way to France, was held Tuesday afternoon at the Lutheran church near the lake. He was among the big bunch who went to Camp Pike from here on July 22. This makes another lad who has made the supreme sacrifice for his country. (Vindicator and Republican, Estherville, IA, October 30, 1918)

Funeral of Andrew Johnson
The remains of Andrew Johnson, who died of pneumonia while on the way to France, arrived in Graettinger Monday evening accompanied by Private Giebel of Hoboken, New Jersey. The funeral was held on Tuesday afternoon. Services were conducted at the home of Ole Johnson of High Lake township, father of the deceased. From there the remains were taken to the Riverside church where brief funeral services were held. Rev. Paulsrud of Randall, Iowa, pastor of the Riverside church, officiated at the funeral services. Interment was in the East High Lake cemetery. The pall bearers were Martin Refsell, Sam Bondhua, Martin Natterstad, Chester Anderson, J.M. Woldun and Paul Johnson.

The deceased was well known in Graettinger and had a host of friends here as well as in his home community. At the various places where he was employed in this locality he was regarded as a deserving, high minded young man and he was always faithful and industrious. When called to the defense of his country he went with a determination to uphold the honor and the dignity of the United States and to do his share in frustrating the designs of Germany to secure world power. Though he did not have the honor of dying on the battlefield he gave his life for his country and his name will be placed on the honor roll of our departed heroes. He is a son of Ole Johnson, one of the respected and honored citizens of High Lake township, and the heart broken father and the other members of the family have the deep sympathy of the entire community in the heavy burden they have been called upon to bear. (Graettinger Times, Graettinger, IA, October 31, 1918)

The soldier who accompanied the remains of Andrew Johnson from Hoboken, New Jersey to Graettinger Monday says that at one pier at Hoboken there were 900 caskets. At another pier there were 25 caskets for Iowa points. On the same train he left New York one soldier was accompanying a body to Honolulu and another a body to Alaska. Pneumonia has claimed many victims in the army and in the navy. (Graettinger Times, Graettinger, IA, October 31, 1918)

Chas. Strom and wife returned last week from Wallingford where they attended the funeral services of Mrs. Strom’s brother, Andrew Johnson, who died of influenza on board a transport en route to France. His body was returned on the next boat and forwarded to Wallingford. We are printing the obituary printed in the Greattinger [Graettinger] Times, as the soldier was the son of Ole (Olson) Johnson, the son of John Olson, who lived for many years north of LeGrand near the quarries.

The remains of Andrew Johnson, who died on pneumonia while on the way to France, arrived in Graettinger Monday evening accompanied by Private Giebel, of Hoboken, New Jersey.

The funeral was held Tuesday afternoon. Services were conducted at the home of Ole Johnson, of High Lake, to whom word had come from the war department stating that his son, Andrew Johnson, died on the way to France October 2nd, and the body had reached an Atlantic port, and would arrive here Monday or Tuesday. The cause of his death was Spanish influenza, which developed into pneumonia. The young man was 29 years, six months and 17 days old at the time of his death. He was a carpenter by trade and for the past several years was employed in Graettinger working for Messrs. Seele, Axelton and Gabrielson. He was a faithful, hard working young man and his employers have only the highest words of praise for him. He was rather quiet and always attended to his own affairs. He was in every way deserving of the high regard in which he was held by his friends and acquaintances.

He left Estherville with the Emmet county contingent in the July draft and received his preliminary training at Camp Pike, Arkansas. From there he was transferred to a New Jersey embarkation point and sailed for France the latter part of September. On the troop ship he contracted the dreaded malady that caused his death. Besides his relatives in this country he is mourned by a brother in France, Private John Johnson, who is serving with the U.S. colors.

The sympathy of the entire community is extended to Mr. Johnson and the members of his family in the sorrow that has come to their home. – Graettinger Times (Le Grand Reporter, Le Grand, IA, November 8, 1918)


Emmet Obituaries maintained by LaVern Velau.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]