[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

New YWCA Home to Open


Posted By: Nettie Mae (email)
Date: 12/2/2023 at 11:55:02

Source: The Clinton Advertiser, Clinton Iowa, Nov. 18, 1920, Page 1

The new home of the Y.W.C.A. on Seventh avenue is expected to be ready for occupancy on the first of the year and every effort is being made to rush the work to completion. When the building is ready for the inspection of the public it is safe to assume that it will be as comfortable as any like institution in the country and while it has meant a great deal of hard work on the part of those in charge they will feel well repaid when they view the completed structure.
On the first floor of the building will be located the general information office, reception room, a small hall not unlike a sitting room containg couches, chairs, etc.,a tea room, which isa charming innovation and which is to be used for smaller parties in case the cafeteria is in service. New chairs and tables have been provided for this room, which have been painted to match the woodwork and it presents a very harmonious whole. The cafeteria is also on this floor and has a well equipped serving room and everything necessary to give quick service to the public; also a cloak room, the secretary's room and a gentlemen's lavatory.
The Second Floor
On the second floor are located the offices of the general secretary, the girls' secretary and physical director, an assembly room, class room, girls' club room, with a kitchenette attached, for which the Girl Reserves are furnishing the dishes, draperies, furnishings, etc. themselves; linen closets and an examining room for applicants to the gymnasium, all of which are well equipped.
The Third Floor
On the third floor are the sleeping rooms and dormitory, with accomodations for fourteen women and girls, all of which are freshly painted and papered and serviceably furnished. Each room contains an ample wardrobe, chiffonier, rocking chair, straight chair, bed and table. One of the large east rooms onthe third floor has beenfixed up as a dormitory and contains three beds, a big wardrobe and is furnished like a sitting room. There is also a kitchenette in connection with the dormitory, where the girls or women can cook their own meals. Business women who are strangers in the town can stay at the rooms until such time as they are able to get acquainted and find suitable quarters and there will be certain rooms reserved for transients, so altogether the system is just about as complete as it can be. The rest room is also on the third floor.
Things That Are Needed
Mrs. W. W. Blunt chairman of the house committee, has been doing some very efficient work and although much has been accomplished there is considerable yet to be done. She states that the things that are needed the worst at the present time are a gas plate, a few willow chairs that could be painted and an army cot for the physical director's office and one having any of these things can communicate with Mrs. Blunt and they will be gratefully received.
The College club has donated a beautiful mahogany table to the assembly room and Mrs. Gates has given a large rug to the same room. The Sowers' club has also made a generous donation and every cent of this money will be put to good use.
Gymnasium in Rear
Later on the plans are for a gymnasium to be equipped in the rear building, with a swimming pool, shower, baths, etc., which is larger than the national requirements, and on the second floor will be an entertainment room, which will seat 300 comfortably.
When completed the new Y.W.C.A. will be a a credit to Clinton and a building and equipment of which any city might be proud. It will add prestige to the city, as institutions of that kind always do and the people await the opening with a great deal of interest.

(The book "Clinton, Iowa An Architectural Heritage" tells us this about the history of the YWCA building built for lumber baron Lafayette Lamb: "Built in 1877 with red brick, mansard rood, and turreted tower, the wood stud-framed building was rebuilt in 1906. The original brick veneer was removed and the gray cement brick of the Iowa Granite Brick company installed. The roof was rebuilt as a flat roof and the tower was removed. Built as the mansion of a lumber baron, the house was donated to the YWCA in 1920. Subsequently, many alterations were made and additions built.")


Clinton Documents maintained by John Schulte.
WebBBS 4.33 Genealogy Modification Package by WebJourneymen

[ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]