1886 Biographical and Historical Record of Wayne and Appanoose Counties, Iowa

Chicago: Inter-State Pub. Co.,

Thanks to the courtesy and hard work of Polly Eckles


JAMES O. ANDREWS, one of the early settlers of Taylor Township, is a native of Giles County, Tennessee, born in August, 1835, the eldest of a family of eight children, four of whom are living.   His father, Silas Milton Andrews, was born in Maury County, Tennessee, February 15, 1808, and was there married in 1834, to Louisa Woods, a native of Giles County, Tennessee.   He moved to Appanoose County, Iowa, in 1851, and located on sections 16, 21 and 15, Taylor Township, on land he had entered the year previous.   He built a small log house, off which the roof was blown during a wind and rain storm that same year.   He was by trade a saddle and harness maker, and for some years after coming to Iowa worked for John Vierling, of Moravia.   He then abandoned his trade and devoted his attention to agriculture, living on his farm until his death, which occurred September 17, 1885.   His widow now makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. Tucker.

James O. Andrews was educated in his native State.   He was fifteen years of age when he came to Iowa with his parents, and being the eldest son, his services were required in assisting to improve a frontier farm.   He has been an enterprising, industrious farmer, and now has 200 acres of valuable land, all well improved, and his residence and farm buildings are among the best in the township.   He has paid considerable attention to stock-raising, having some of the highest grades of cattle and swine.   He has taken an active interest in his township, and has held various official relations.   For fifteen years he was justice of the peace, serving continuously until defeated by the Grangers.   He has been treasurer and clerk of his township several years each.   In politics he is a Republican.   He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.   He was married in 1856 to Cordelia, daughter of Edward Callen, one of the first settlers of Appanoose County, coming here from Tennessee in 1849.

JOHN ARVALT, one of the original thirteen who organized Johns Township, was born in Bartholomew County, Indiana, January 23, 1824, the eighth of a family of twelve children of Michael and Sarah (Tips) Arvalt, natives of North Carolina, the former born in 1788 and the latter February 22, 1791.   The father was a farmer by occupation.   He was a soldier in the war of 1812 and died at the age of forty-eight years.   The mother died December 14, 1884, of cancer in the throat.   John Arvalt was but twelve years of age when his father died.   He remained with his mother until twenty-four years old, when he was married to Clarinda Ackerman, a native of Ohio.   In the fall of 1849 he moved to Appanoose County, Iowa, and settled in Johns Township, near the present home of Jesse Day, entering 160 acres, eighty of prairie and eighty of timber land.   Eleven years later he moved to section 19, where he now lives, where he owns 160 acres of choice land well improved.

Mr. Arvalt has served as trustee of his school district seventeen years.   He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church and has been a class-leader over thirty years.   In politics he is a Republican. His family consists of eight children: Francis M., Evaline (wife of W. M. Morland), Nancy (wife of L. A. Blair), William D., Mahala (wife of H. C. Wells), John, James F. and Charles.

E. G. ASHBY, Superintendent of the schools of Appanoose County, was born in Knox County, Illinois, October 4, 1840, a son of Daniel C. and Nancy F. (Gaddis) Ashby, the former a native of Kentucky, of English descent, and the latter of Pennsylvania, of Irish descent.   When he was four years of age his parents moved to Parke County, Indiana, and there he was reared.   In 1857 they moved to the vicinity of Centerville, Iowa, and here he has since made his home.   In 1861 he enlisted in Company D, Sixth Iowa Infantry, and served until July 20, 1864.   He participated in the battles of Shiloh, Vicksburg, Black River, Jackson, Mission Ridge and Atlanta campaign, his last battle being Kenesaw Mountain.    At the battle of Mission Ridge he was slightly wounded.

After his return home he resumed farming, teaching school in the winter until November, 1885, when he was elected superintendent of schools of Appanoose County.   In 1883 he went to Pierre, Dakota, with the intention of settling, but a cyclone swept away his property, and he returned to Iowa, after being gone only one season.   August 31, 1865, he married Sarah E., daughter of Jeremiah and Elizabeth (Pollard) Hollingsworth.   The have seven children: John C., Flora E., Melville S., Clara, Willie, Eva and Bessie.   Mr. and Mrs. Ashby are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.

J. C. BARROWS, of the firm of W. O. Crosby & Co., publishers of the Centerville Citizen, was born February 16, 1845, at Prescott, Ontario, the son of Earl and Margaret ( Adams ) Barrows.   He came to Iowa with his parents in 1856, when eleven years old.   From July, 1863, until the close of the war he served in the Eighth Iowa Cavalry, and since then he has been a resident of Appanoose County.   In 1881 he purchased the Times office of B. S. Spooner, and in 1882 he consolidated that paper with the Citizen, taking the position of associate editor and business manager of that paper.   Mr. Barrows was married December 28, 1870, at Centerville, to Miss O. A. Swearingen.   His children are: Blanche, aged fourteen; Earl, aged twelve, and Flossie, aged four.   He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and the G.A.R.

JAMES CAIN BEVINGTON, cashier, Centerville National Bank, and city treasurer of Centerville, was born near Millersburg, Holmes County, Ohio, February 1, 1851.   He came to Iowa with his parents, Matthew and Lucinda (Cain) Bevington, in the fall of 1864, they locating at Mount Ayr, and in 1866 he came with them to Centerville, where he was employed as a clerk in the store of J. A. Breazeale for five years.   In 1873 he took a course at the Commercial College, at Keokuk, after which he was employed as bookkeeper in the store of C. R. Stanton, of this place, until 1885, and during this time he became associated with Mr. Stanton and S. W. Lane, they carrying on the mercantile business under the firm name of Stanton, Lane & Co.   In May, 1885, he accepted his present position as cashier in the Centerville National Bank.   He was elected to the office of treasurer in March, 1884, and re-elected in 1885 and 1886.   Mr. Bevington was married March 12, 1874, at Centerville, to Miss Margaret E. Evans, a daughter of William and Margaret (Vestle) Evans.   Mrs. Bevington died at Centerville, May 6, 1883, leaving two children: William W. and Lois J. Mr. Bevington is a member of the Odd Fellows order, and is past grand of Centerville Lodge, No. 79.

HENRY WESTON BLACHLEY, dentist, Centerville, Iowa, was born at Independence, Washington County, Pennsylvania, October 19, 1849, a son of Oliver B. and Ellen Jane (Creacroft) Blachley, of English ancestry.   In 1864 he accompanied his parents to Fredericktown, Ohio, and there, in 1867, began the study of dentistry.   In the fall of 1867 he located in Centerville, where he has built up a good practice.   May 27, 1875, he was admitted as an active member of the Iowa State Dental Society, receiving the honors in a competitive examination of a class of seventeen.   He was married March 5, 1873, to Lillian, daughter of Caleb and Eliza (Baldridge) Wentworth.   They have three children: Olive Beryl, Carl and Tracy. In politics Dr. Blachley is a Democrat.   He is a member of the Odd Fellows order, lodge, encampment and temple.

D. CAMPBELL BRADLEY is a native of Centerville, born August 13, 1858, the eldest of three sons of William and Amanda ( Campbell ) Bradley.   He was reared in his native city, and after receiving a fair education in the common and high schools he attended Monmouth, Illinois, College, from which he graduated in 1879.   After his graduation he returned home, and became the proprietor of the Dennis flouring mill, near Centerville, which he owned till 1881, when, selling out, he engaged in the mercantile business at Centerville until 1883.   Discontinuing that he began dealing in and shipping live stock to Eastern markets, which has proved a successful undertaking.   He is a stockholder in the First National Bank of Centerville, and January 1, 1886, was chosen one of its directors.   In politics he casts his suffrage with the Democratic party.   He is a member of the Odd Fellows order, Lodge No. 76, and Encampment No. 24, and also of Lodge No. 64, K. of P.   He was married December 9, 1885, to Cora, daughter of Hon. D. P. Stubbs, of Fairfield, Iowa.   He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church.

EDWARD BROSHAR is a native of Indiana, born near Napoleon, Ripley County, September 26, 1838, a son of Zachariah and Mary (Lindebaugh) Broshar, the former a native of Indiana, of French descent, and the latter of Kentucky, of German descent.   His parents came to Iowa in 1855, and located on a farm in Chariton Township, Appanoose County, where the mother died in the spring of 1862, age about fifty-one years.   The father still lives on the old homestead with his son Levi, at the advanced age of eighty-two years.   They had a family of six children, of whom one died in infancy and five are living.   The living are: Sarah, Mary Elizabeth, wife of Lewis Main, of Chariton Township ; Edward, Levi, and Nancy Ellen, wife of George Funkhouser, of Ringgold County, Iowa.   Edward Broshar remained with his parents till maturity, and when he began life for himself engaged in farming on rented land.   August 15, 1861, he enlisted in the Union service as a private in Company M, Third Iowa Cavalry, and in the spring of 1864 re-enlisted as a veteran and served four years.   Soon after his enlistment he was appointed Duty-Sergeant, and served as such till mustered out.   He participated in the battles of Pea Ridge, Hartsville, Little Rock, Guntown, Tupelo, Mount Valley, Ebenezer Church, Selma, Columbus, and many others, numbering in all sixteen.   He was discharged at Atlanta, Georgia, August 9, 1865, and returned to Appanoose County, and resumed farming.

In politics he was a Republican till the organization of the Greenback party, and since then has cast his suffrage with that party.   In 1881 he was elected assessor of Walnut Township, and also held the same office in 1883 and 1884.   In 1882 he was elected to fill a vacancy on the county board and was elected to the same office in 1884, for a term of three years, expiring January 1, 1888.   He has also held several minor offices in the township and on the school board.   In July, 1859, he was married to Miss Minerva J. Funkhouser, of Chariton Township.   They have had ten children, of whom nine are living: Alferetta, wife of Lemly Hiner, of Kansas ; James E., Ella, Alice, Louis, Anna, Winnie, Willie and John.   A daughter, Gertrude, died in 1878, aged fourteen months.   Mr. Broshar is a member of John L. Bashore Post, No. 122, G.A.R.   He was reared in the faith of the United Brethren church, of which both his parents were members, and he and his wife are both identified with that denomination.

SAMUEL BROWN, proprietor of the City Flouring Mill, Centerville, Iowa, was born in New Comerstown, Ohio, January 15, 1818, a son of William and Sarah (Swearengen) Brown, natives of Ohio, of Scotch and English ancestry.   In 1839 he began farming in Jackson County, Ohio, and in April, 1853, came to Iowa and settled on a farm in what is now Sharon Township, Appanoose County, where he lived until 1883, when he exchanged his farm for the mill he now owns and conducts.   He was married in 1839 to Charlotte Smith. They have six children: Allen Luther, John A., Lafayette, Samuel Preston, Alfred M., and Alvina, wife of John A. Rands.   Mr. Brown has been justice of the peace of Sharon Township six years, trustee twelve years, road supervisor several years, and township supervisor one year.   In politics he is a Democrat.

ANDERSON D. CALLEN, one of the early settlers of Taylor Township, Appanoose County, residing on section 20, was born near Knoxville, Jefferson County, Tennessee, November 11, 1826.   His father, Henry Callen, was born in Virginia in 1786, and when quite young was brought by his parents to Tennessee, where he was married to Elizabeth Douglass, of Jefferson County.   Five sons and three daughters were born to them; five children are still living.   They lived on a farm in Jefferson County till 1847, in which year Mr. Callen came with his family to Iowa.   After living about a year in Van Buren County, he removed to Appanoose County, locating in the southwest corner of Taylor Township in 1849.   He soon after sold his farm in this township, and settled in Chariton Township, on the Chariton River, where he spent the remainder of his life.   He died in 1853, his wife having died eighteen days before her husband.

Anderson D. lived on the homestead with his parents till reaching maturity, his education being obtained in the subscription schools of his neighborhood.   He was married in Appanoose County, in 1854, to Mary J. Chambers, the eldest daughter of John and Nancy Chambers, who came from Indiana to this county in the fall of 1852.   Her parents are now deceased, the father having died in Missouri, and the mother dying in this county.   The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Callen has been blessed with eight children: John A., William H. (married), Christopher S., Albert S., Jonathan E., Eliza E., Frances M. and Mary L.   After his marriage Mr. Callen lived a short time in Taylor Township, when he removed to Douglas Township, where he made his home for twelve years.   He then settled on the farm where he has since resided, which contains eighty acres of good land fairly improved.   He has made farming his principal avocation through life, although for two years he worked at the carpenter's trade.   He was bereaved by the death of his wife, who died in July, 1880.   Mr. Callen served two years as trustee of his township.   He was elected justice of the peace, but refused to qualify. Mr. Callen and his daughters are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he is class-leader.   His wife was a member of the same church.   Henry Callen, father of our subject, was a soldier in General Jackson's army in the war of 1812, and his son, Albert H., served in the war of the Rebellion, being a member of Company D, Sixth Iowa Infantry.    He was killed at the battle of Resaca in 1864, after serving nearly three years.

PRYOR LEE CALLEN, one of the early settlers of Taylor Township, Appanoose County, was born near Knoxville, Seneca County, Tennessee, September 9, 1826, his parents, Edward and Martha (Cate) Callen, being natives of the same State.   They were married in Seneca County, where the father followed farming till the spring of 1843.   He then came with his family to Iowa, and after living in Van Buren County three years, he settled in Appanoose County on a farm of 160 acres, which he entered from the Government.   He improved his land, on which he lived till his death, his wife dying on the same farm some time after.   Both were devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal church, which he served as steward and trustee.   When they settled in this county they had but two neighbors, Reuben Denny and Lewis Hiatt, and many were the hardships and privations which they endured, but by their united efforts they became comfortably settled in life.   They were the parents of nine children, five sons and four daughters, all living but one son, John R., who was a member of Company G, Iowa Infantry, and died in the service of his country at Helena, Arkansas.

Pryor L., the subject of this sketch, received his rudimentary education in the subscription schools of his native State, and after coming to Iowa attended the schools of Van Buren County.   He was married when twenty-eight years of age to Lementine A. Hays, daughter of Alex. and Priscilla Hays, who were among the early settlers of the county.   Of the ten children born to this union, two died in infancy; eight are still living: Harry J., Preston A., Edward R., John L., Frank H., George P., Luella J. (wife of John B. Kinion), and Lora A., at home.   After his marriage Mr. Callen settled on his present farm on section 28, which contains 120 acres of valuable land, and engaged in general farming and stock raising, his stock consisting of cattle, hogs, horses and mules.   His horses are of the Norman breed.   He devotes considerable attention to the raising of mules, having some very fine ones on his farm at present.    Mr. Callen has served his township for many years as trustee.   Both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.   In politics he was formerly an old line Whig, but now affiliates with the Republican party.

DAVID C. CAMPBELL, President of the Campbell Banking Company, of Centerville, Iowa, was born near Hollidays Cove, Brooke County, West Virginia, January 14, 1834, the eldest of three sons of Alexander and Martha (McConnell) Campbell, natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania, of Scottish ancestry.   In 1855 his parents came to Iowa and settled near Winterset, Madison County, removing thence in 1868 to Appanoose County, to a farm in what is now Vermillion Township, where the father died in August, 1884, aged eighty-two years.   The mother is still living, and is now eighty-two years of age.   In 1852 David C. went to the gold regions of California, returning to Iowa in 1855.   In 1856 he entered the employ of William Bradley, for whom he clerked until 1860, when he became associated with him under the firm name of Bradley & Campbell.   In June, 1864, while still in the mercantile business, he with others organized the First National Bank, of Centerville, of which he was cashier until 1869, when he retired from the corporation, and in the fall of 1870 was one of the incorporators of the banking firm of D. C. Campbell & Co., which in 1874 was merged into the Farmer's National Bank.   In 1878 this bank was discontinued, and he organized the present Campbell Banking Company, of which he is president and cashier.   In 1860 he was elected clerk of the Circuit and District Courts of Appanoose County, and served one term.   He was married in Centerville in 1861, to Jane Bradley, who died in 1862, leaving one son: William Bradley, now of Chicago, Illinois.   In 1865 he married Miss M. A. Shonts.   They have two children: John A. and Charles P. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell are members of the United Presbyterian church.

WILLIAM CLARK, one of the early settlers of Independence Township, located on section 34, where he now resides, in the autumn of 1856.   His homestead, which contains 160 acres, is one of the best farms in the township, and in addition to this he owns forty acres on section 27, a half a mile from his home.   He has worked hard to make his farm valuable.   He has four and a half miles of fencing around his home farm, and his building improvements are excellent and in good repair.   He is one of the most practical farmers in the county, his farm showing the result of having a thrifty and painstaking owner.   He first visited Iowa in 1843 and entered eighty acres of Government land in Jefferson County, on which he located in 1846.   He improved his land rapidly and soon had a fine farm of 150 acres, on which was one of the best orchards in the county.   He sold his farm in 1856, and moved to Appanoose County.

He came to Iowa a poor man, and his present prosperity but illustrates what can be accomplished by industry and well-directed purpose, assisted by a good wife, a man's best gift.   In addition to prosperity he has gained the confidence and esteem of a large circle of friends and acquaintances, which is more to be valued than riches.   He and his wife are members of the United Brethren church, and live practical Christian lives, work and faith going hand in hand with them.   In his early life Mr. Clark was in politics a Whig.   In the days of Fremont he became a Republican, and in 1878 identified himself with the Greenback party.   Mr. Clark is a native of Pennsylvania, born near Philadelphia, May 15, 1816.   His parents, John and Elizabeth Clark, were natives of Scotland, and came to the United States in 1816, landing in this country about three weeks before the birth of our subject, and a few years later established his home in new Lisbon, Ohio, where our subject was reared, and there they both died, the mother in 1835 and the father in 1839, both aged about ninety years.   Of a family of thirteen children our subject is the sixth.   Of the others only Mrs. Christie Baker, John, Mrs. Ann Gammel and Margaret are living.   Mathew and David died while in the service of their country during the war of the Rebellion.   Mr. Clark was married September 18, 1841, at New Lisbon, Ohio, to Margaret Wallace, who was born in Ireland, June 16, 1818, and when six years of age accompanied her parents, Peter and Margaret Wallace, to the United States.   They have a family of eight children: John, of Lucas County, Iowa; Margaret A., at home; George, of Kingman County, Kansas; Eleanor, wife of Michael Haney, of Decatur County, Iowa; Sarah, wife of Hiram Haver, of Butler County, Kansas; Alpheus, of Wayne County; Laura, wife of James Carroll, of Decatur County, and William, at home.   Their first-born died in infancy.

LEVI CLEMMENS, farmer and proprietor of a meat market in Centerville, Iowa, was born in Lebanon, Pennsylvania, February 8, 1824. In his infancy his parents moved to Montgomery County, Ohio, and from there to Wayne County, Indiana, when he was about twelve [sic] old.   When fifteen years old he began to work for his own maintenance by chopping cord wood, and when seventeen began butchering in a country place in Wayne County, continuing it for eleven years.   In the spring of 1852 he came to Iowa and located in Bellair Township, Appanoose County, where he engaged in farming and butchering till 1876, when he moved to Centerville and opened his present meat market, where he has built up a good trade.   Mr. Clemmens is a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity, lodge, chapter and commandery, and the lodge and encampment of the Odd Fellows order.   He takes a great interest in the temperance movement, and is a member of Centerville Lodge, No. 79, I.O.G.T.   Mr. Clemmens was married March 19, 1848, to Miss Leah Switzer, of Wayne County, Indiana.   They have no children, but reared an adopted daughter, Arthela West, now the wife of E. G. Wentworth, of Essex, Iowa.   Mr. and Mrs. Clemmens are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.   In politics he affiliates with the Republican party.

HARVEY COCHRAN, Assessor of Caldwell Township, was born near Mount Sterling, Van Buren County, Iowa, November 4, 1843.    When he was eighteen months old his parents, John Wesley and Elizabeth (Richard) Cochran, settled in Appanoose County, locating in what is now Odell (sic) Township, where the father followed farming.    The father subsequently removed his family to a farm in Sharon Township, where he died in 1855.   He was a native of Kentucky, and of Scotch and Irish ancestry.   The mother is now the wife of John C. Wright, of Sharon Township.   She was born in the State of Ohio, and is of German descent.   Harvey Cochran began to maintain himself at the age of twelve years, being employed on a farm as chore boy, receiving his education by attending the district schools during the winter terms.   In March, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company F, Seventeenth Iowa Infantry, and while in the service was promoted to Corporal.   He participated in the siege of Corinth, battles of Iuka, Jackson, Champion Hills, siege of Vicksburg, Mission Ridge, Chattanooga, and Tilton, Georgia.   In March, 1864, he, with his regiment, veteranized by re-enlisting at Huntsville, Alabama, and was on the veteran corps when, October 13, 1864, his regiment was captured by the Confederate forces.   He was first imprisoned at Cahaba, Alabama, for a short time, when he was sent to Camp Lawton, at Milan, Georgia.   Three weeks later he was sent to Blackshire, Florida, and from there to Thomasville, Georgia, thence to Andersonville, where he was imprisoned till paroled April 18, 1865.   He was discharged at Davenport, Iowa, May 25, 1865, when he returned to Appanoose County, and engaged in farming in Sharon Township till 1879, since which he has resided on his farm in Caldwell Township.

January 28, 1868, he was married to Miss Rebecca McCoy, daughter of Gilbert and Sarah (Melott) McCoy, pioneers of Appanoose County.   Of the eleven children born to this union, two died in infancy.   The living are: Ella, Anna and Houston (twins), Belle, George, Lillia, Willie, Isa and one unnamed.   Both Mr. and Mrs. Cochran are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.   Mr. Cochran takes an active interest in temperance work, and is a member of Exline Lodge, No. 61, I.O.G.T., of which he is the present treasurer.   In politics he votes the Democratic ticket.   Mr. Cochran has held various township offices, and has served in his present position as assessor since November, 1884.   In 1879 he was nominated by the Republican party for the election of sheriff of Appanoose County, but was defeated by a small majority.

SANFORD S. COLE, an active and enterprising farmer and stock-raiser of Johns Township, Appanoose County, was born in what is now Tipton County, Indiana, near the town of Tipton, the date of his birth being March 22, 1840.   His parents, John B. and Sarah E. Cole, were both natives of New Jersey, removing from that State to Indiana.   They came to Appanoose County, Iowa, in the fall of 1855, and settled in Johns Township, where they lived till their death.   They had a family of ten children, six sons and four daughters, of whom five children are yet living.   Sanford S., our subject, passed his youth on a farm, and received his education at the district schools.   He came to Appanoose County with his parents in 1855, remaining with them till twenty-six years of age.   He was then married to Miss Mary J. Hught, second daughter of Samuel and Mildred Hught, who settled in this county in 1864.   Of the five children born to Mr. and Mrs. Cole two are deceased.   Those living are: Oscar M., Proctor C. and Grace C.   After his marriage Mr. Cole settled on his present farm on section 11, Johns Township, which contains 160 acres of valuable land, with good substantial barns and out buildings, and ten acres of good timber land on section 12.   He was here engaged in general farming and stock-raising, and was the first to introduce the thoroughbred short-horn cattle in his part of the county.   He remained on his farm till 1882, when he removed to Centerville and engaged in the drug business.   In the fall of 1885 he sold out his business at Centerville, and returned to his farm where he at present resides.   Mr. Cole has served acceptably as treasurer of his township.   Both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Bethel.

REV. ELIJAH COZAD was born in Lewis County, West Virginia, April 10, 1821, a son of Jacob and Rubia (Beman) Cozad, his father a native of Lewis County, and his mother a native of the State of New Jersey.   His father was twice married, and had a family of nine children, of whom our subject was the sixth, and the eldest of his second marriage.   In his childhood his parents moved to Greene County, Ohio, returning, however, to their old home in Virginia in 1833.   He was reared to the life of a farmer, receiving a fair education in his boyhood.   August 27, 1841, he was married to Miss Martha Law, who was born in Harrison County, West Virginia, November 26, 1818, daughter of William F. and Elizabeth Law.   When he was twenty-five years of age he united with the Methodist Protestant church, and in 1847 was licensed to preach, and in 1851 was ordained a minister.   In 1856 he visited Iowa, moving his family to the State in 1857.   He bought 230 acres of unimproved land on section 32, Independence Township, Appanoose County.   For fifteen years after coming to Iowa he was in the itinerant ministry, and then took a local relation, still devoting a great part of his time, however, to the work of a minister until 1881.   In 1883, while at work in the hay-field, he fell from his mowing machine and received injuries which resulted in partial paralysis.   January 23, 1879, the wife and companion of his youth was called to her heavenly home, leaving six children: Rubia, wife of William H. Nicodemus, of Centerville; Enoch, of Independence Township; David, of Smith County, Kansas; Elizabeth, wife of Enoch Law, of Independence Township; Ruhama, wife of John White, of Monroe County, Iowa, and Jacob W., at home.   July 5, 1882, he married Miss Martha Thornhill, a native of Harrison County, West Virginia, born November 2, 1847, a daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Thornhill.   Her father is deceased, and her mother still lives on the old homestead in West Virginia.   Mr. Cozad has been active in promoting all good works, and has been earnest in the building up of Christ's kingdom.   In the war against the whisky traffic, he has been an active and efficient worker, and has never been backward in denouncing gambling, profanity, Sabbath-breaking, etc.   Although at present his physical condition is weakened, his mind is active and vigorous, and with true Christian resignation and fortitude, believing that the Master “doeth all things well,” he is cheerful and uncomplaining.

CHARLES M. CROFT, proprietor of the Western Mills and woolen manufactory, Moulton, Iowa, is a native of Appanoose County, born near Moulton, in Wells Township, April 6, 1863, a son of John and Martha Croft.   He was reared and educated in his native county, and after leaving school taught for a time.   He then began working at the miller's trade, and in 1885 bought a half interest in the mill which he now owns, having purchased his partner's interest in January, 1886.   He does a general milling business, and also has a large custom trade.   The mill was built in 1869 by Silas Harter and operated by him about six years.   He then sold to a company that sold it five years later to John Johnson, who conducted it alone until 1885, when he sold a half interest to Mr. Croft.   Mr. Croft was married in 1885 to Miss Gertie Matthews, a native of Van Buren County, Iowa.   He is a member of Lodge No. 365, I.O.O.F. Mr. Croft is a young man of more than average ability, and his business tact and genial manners have made him popular with all with whom he has had any dealings.   Thus far he has been successful, and he has the prospect of a prosperous future in his business life.   In social life he is affable and courteous and his friends are legion, his young associates regarding him as a leader in all the enterprises that promise to be of social or mental benefit.

JOHN CROFT, a prominent and successful cattle-raiser and dealer of Washington Township, Appanoose County, is a man who has contributed largely to the agricultural interests of his township.   Mr. Croft is a native of Virginia, born near Newcastle, September 4, 1835, and is the only son now living of John and Margaret Croft, his mother being a native of the same State as himself.   His father was born in Germany, he coming to America when a small boy.   In 1838 his parents moved to Missouri, where his father died shortly after.   His mother subsequently married again, and came to Appanoose County, Iowa, locating in Caldwell Township, where she died in 1854.   After the death of his mother, John Croft agreed to work on a farm and pay his board for two years for eighty acres of land, after which he worked at different places till he had earned enough to purchase a team, when he commenced the improvement of his eighty-acre farm, his sister keeping house for him till his marriage.   He then married and settled on his little farm where he remained twenty-one years, and added to his land till he had 280 acres, and during this time he was extensively engaged in raising stock which he shipped to different markets.

His father dying when he was quite young, he was almost entirely thrown upon his own resources, receiving but a limited education in the schools of his neighborhood.   He began life for himself with a determination to succeed, and by his persevering energy coupled with his good management he has been successful in all his undertakings.   He removed to his present farm in 1880, where he has 320 acres of land under a high state of cultivation.   His residence is large and commodious, and his barns and outbuildings are in good condition.   He has now a landed estate of 800 acres.   He is still extensively engaged in raising cattle for the fall markets.   He was married April 25, 1858, to Martha Bond, daughter of John and Ann Bond.   His wife died in 1879 leaving seven children: Andrew C., Charles M., James F., Viola F., Emma R., John E. and Laura Alma.   He was again married April 12, 1886, taking for his second wife Mrs. Sarah Mullenix, formerly of Putnam County, Missouri, but a native of Appanoose County, Iowa, and a daughter of Elisha Beard.   Mr. Croft is an active member of the Christian church at Moulton, and one of its most liberal supporters, and is one of the public-spirited citizens of Washington Township.

Ephraim Cummins
    CAPTAIN EPHRAIM CUMMINS, one of the enterprising and successful business men of Moravia, Appanoose County, was born in Spencer County, Indiana, February 26, 1832, the second eldest son of Daniel and Mary (McKinn) Cummins, his father being a native of Kentucky.   His grandfather was the first white child born in the then Territory of Indiana, for which he received 400 acres of land as a present from the Government.   Our subject passed his boyhood in his native county, receiving a common-school education.   In 1849 he came to Appanoose County, Iowa, with his father's family.   In 1864 his father removed to Washington Territory, where he still resides.   On attaining his majority Captain Cummins engaged in the mercantile business on his own account, opening a small store in Moravia about the year 1854, and as his trade increased he added to his general stock till he became the leading merchant in the northern part of Appanoose County.   In 1863 he helped to raise Company F, of the Eighth Iowa Cavalry, and on its organization was appointed its Captain.   He served in the Army of the Tennessee until December, 1864, when he was honorably discharged.   He then returned to Moravia, and engaged in the mercantile business, and at the same time traded extensively in cattle and hogs, shipping to the Chicago markets.   Captain Cummins has been twice married.   His first wife was Miss Theresa Stauber, who died in 1874, leaving six children.   For his second wife he married Anna R. Stauber, sister of his first wife, and to this union has been born one daughter.   In all enterprises tending toward the building up of his town or county our subject takes an active interest, giving both time and means to every laudable undertaking.   He has carried on a private banking business for many years.   He was appointed postmaster at Moravia in 1865, which office he held continuously by reappointment till 1885.   He has been notary public for thirty years, and has served one term as clerk of Taylor Township, filling these positions with credit to himself, and satisfaction to his constituents.

JOHN DAILY, a member of the Board of Supervisors of Appanoose County, from Pleasant Valley Township, is a native of Ireland, born in County Kerry, January 7, 1836.   When he was ten years of age he accompanied his father, Patrick Daily, to the United States and was reared in the State of Ohio.   When fourteen years of age he began to work for his own maintenance and was variously employed until after the breaking out of the war of the Rebellion.   In 1856 he came to Iowa and lived in Appanoose County, where he enlisted in 1862, in Company G, Thirty-sixth Iowa Infantry, and served about seven months, when he was discharged on account of ill health.   After his return home he engaged in farming in Caldwell Township and in 1871 located in Pleasant Township, where he now has a fine farm of 246 acres.   In politics Mr. Daily is a Democrat.   He has served as school director and road supervisor seven years each, and in November, 1885, was elected to his present position.   Mr. Daily was married in 1861 to Miss Mary Jane Clinkenbaird.   They have eight children: Alveretta, wife of M. Shanks; Alonzo F., James L., Thurman, Fannie May, Anna, Emma Jane and Charles.   The family are members of the Catholic church.

, a prominent farmer and stock-raiser of Johns Township, Appanoose County, was born near Columbus, in Bartholomew County, Indiana, June 20, 1823, his parents, Edmund and Nancy (Hummer) Day, being natives of Kentucky, in which State they remained till after their marriage.   They settled in the State of Indiana about the year 1820.   They had a family of four sons and five daughters, three of the children now living; two sons and one daughter.   The father was a farmer by occupation.   Jesse Day was but four months old when his father died.   He passed his youth on the farm with his mother, attending the district schools, where he obtained a fair education in the common branches.   On reaching maturity he engaged in farming for himself.   He was married in his nineteenth year to Keziah Kelly, of Jackson County, Indiana, and of the seven children born to this union six grew to maturity: William E., now living in Kansas; Nancy C., wife of Frank H. Shoemaker, of Kansas; Martha I., wife of Joseph Brown, also living in Kansas; J. K. of Kansas; Mary E., wife of William H. Kelly, of Nebraska, and John W., at home.   In the spring of 1846 Mr. Day settled with his family in Davis County, Iowa, coming in the spring of 1850 to Appanoose County, Iowa.   He located in what is now Johns Township, where he entered a tract of 240 acres on sections 14 and 24.   Mr. Day was one of the thirteen men who helped to organize this township, seven of whom were named John.   Hence the name of Johns Township.

On coming here Mr. Day built a small hickory cabin, this being Hickory Grove, in which he passed the winter, and the following spring erected a larger dwelling, opening out his farm at that time, corn and wheat being his principal products at that time.   He later turned his attention to raising cattle, and at one time took quite an interest in raising fine-blooded short-horn cattle, being among the first in his neighborhood to introduce a high graded cattle.   He is at present making a specialty of raising Clydesdale and English Draft horses.   Mr. Day is an active, public-spirited citizen and is always ready to assist in all enterprises tending to the good of his county.   He was postmaster at Memphis, at which place he lived about ten years.   Mr. Day has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church since his twenty-second year, and was one of the original members of Bethel church.   His wife was an earnest member of the same church till her death, which occurred in August, 1883.   In politics Mr. Day was formerly a Whig, casting his first presidential vote in 1844, but since the organization of the Republican party he has voted that ticket.   He is one of the self-made men of Johns Township, having only $100 in gold and an ox team when he came to this State, and by his good management has accumulated a good property, his home farm containing 220 acres of valuable land.

REED W. DODD, one of the oldest settlers of Taylor Township, Appanoose County, was born near Jacksonville, in what was then Montgomery County, now Floyd County, Virginia, the date of his birth being April 6, 1807.   His parents, John P. and Sarah (Dickerson) Dodd, were born, reared and married in the State of Virginia, the father being a native of Franklin County.   Their family consisted of four sons and three daughters, our subject being the eldest child, and of this family Reed W. and three daughters are now living.   Our subject's maternal grandfather, Elijah Dickerson, was born in Halifax County, Virginia, and was of English descent.   Reed W. Dodd passed his youth on a farm, for a short time attending a private school, living with his parents till reaching maturity.   At the age of twenty-two years he married Irene Montgomery, of Grayson County, Virginia, the fourth daughter of William and Martha (Hiatt) Montgomery.   Of the ten children born to this union eight are living: Eli; Sarah, wife of William Thrift; Lydia J.; Russel, of Lucas County; Clementina, wife of Seaton Taylor; Martha E. married E. Burnett, of Clarke County; Leah Moore, of Creston, Iowa, and Frank M.   Mr. Dodd has thirty-eight grandchildren, and twenty-four great-grandchildren.

In the spring of 1831 Mr. Dodd removed with his family to Hendricks County, Indiana, settling among the timber, where he cleared a farm on which he lived till the fall of 1850.   He then came with his family to Appanoose County, Iowa, locating on his present farm, entering 200 acres of unbroken prairie land from the Government.   Here he built a small log cabin, and commenced the improvement of his farm the following season.   He has devoted considerable attention to the raising of stock, principally cattle and horses, for many years, and still makes a specialty of horses.   His farm now contains 204 acres of choice land under cultivation.   Mr. and Mrs. Dodd have lived together for fifty-six years, and bid fair to live for years, both being hale and hearty.   They have been members of the regular Baptist church for many years.   Politically Mr. Dodd was formerly an old line Whig, casting his first vote for General Jackson, but has voted the Republican ticket since the organization of that party.

GEORGE WILLIAM DUFFIELD, of the drug firm of Duffield Brothers of Centerville, was born near Keosauqua, Van Buren County, Iowa, January 16, 1851, a son of John and Jane (McGibbin) Duffield, natives of Ohio, the former being of Scotch and Irish ancestry.   The father came to Van Buren County, Iowa, in 1834, and settled on Government lands, where he made a farm, on which he still makes his home.   When first locating there his only neighbors were Indians, and he is said to be the first man who brought a wagon west of the Des Moines River in Van Buren County.   He was married tin 1848 to Jane McGibbin, who came to Van Buren County with her parents in 1840, his wife still living to enjoy the comforts of their farm made out of the western wilds of Iowa.

George William, whose name heads this sketch, was reared on the home farm and educated in the common and high schools of Keosauqua.   For one year after gaining his majority he farmed on the homestead, when, in 1873, he engaged in the drug business at Keosauqua with Dr. W. L. Lattimer, which partnership continued till February, 1875, under the firm name Duffield & Lattimer.   He was then engaged in the drug business, as manager for Mitchell Brothers, at Moulton, Appanoose County, until 1877, when he was employed as foreman in the retail department of the wholesale and retail drug establishment of J. L. Taylor & Co., of Ottumwa, until August, 1880.   He then came to Centerville and established his present business, and in 1884 his brother, Ora J., became associated with him, thus forming the present drug firm of Duffield Brothers.   Mr. Duffield was married at Keosauqua, October 20, 1875, to Mary E. Hogue, daughter of James and Elizabeth (Bonner) Hogue, one of the oldest families of that place.   They have one child: Carroll H. Both Mr. and Mrs. Duffield are members of the Methodist Episcopal church at Centerville.

ORA J. DUFFIELD, of the drug firm of Duffield Brothers, of Centerville, is a son of John and Jane (McGibbin) Duffield, his parents being natives of the State of Ohio, and early settlers of Van Buren County, Iowa.   Ora J. Duffield was born near Keosauqua, Iowa, December 27, 1860, receiving his primary education in the district school, and completing it at the Keosauqua High School.   He remained on the home farm in Van Buren County until nineteen years of age, when, in 1880, he came to Appanoose County, and located in Centerville where he clerked in the drug store of Duffield & Harlan for one year.   He then returned to the home farm on account of sickness, remaining there till the following fall.   He was then engaged in clerking in various places until October, 1884, when he formed his present partnership with his brother, George William Duffield, and both being live young business men and excellent managers have built up a good trade.   Mr. Ora J. Duffield is a member of the Presbyterian church, and is a highly respected citizen of Centerville, and has, during his residence here, made a host of friends.

JOHN DUVALL, deceased, was one of the prominent and enterprising citizens of Taylor Township, Appanoose County.   He was a native of Washington County, Pennsylvania, born July 22, 1817, a son of Eli and Elizabeth (Richey) Duvall.   He received a fair education in the schools of Fayette County, Pennsylvania, to which county his parents had removed when he was six years old.   After finishing his education he taught school for several years.   He then learned the carpenter's trade, which he followed a number of years.   In 1843 he was married to Miss Sarah Crawford, the eldest daughter of John and Elizabeth Crawford, who were natives of Maryland and Virginia respectively.   After his marriage Mr. Duvall settled on a farm in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, where he followed agricultural pursuits during the summer months, teaching school in the winter terms.   In April, 1857, he came with his family to Appanoose County, Iowa, settling on the farm which is still occupied by his widow.   He improved his land, adding to it by subsequent purchases till he owned 320 acres, and the log cabin, into which he first moved his family, has given place to a good substantial brick residence, and the barns and other farm buildings are noticeably good.   Mr. Duvall made a specialty of raising a fine grade of hogs, and from this enterprise derived quite an income.   He was a good financier, and at his death, which occurred September 27, 1884, he left a handsome property which he had acquired by his industrious habits and excellent management.   At his death he left his widow and three children: Henry C., Elizabeth R. and Eli H.   He was an active member of the Masonic fraternity, being treasurer of his lodge, besides having held many subordinate offices.   He was a great reader and was well versed in general subjects, and was a strong advocate of the free-school system.   He was a man highly esteemed by all who knew him, and was active in all enterprises which tended to the good of his township, and for a number of years served Taylor Township as trustee and assessor.