IAGenWeb Project

Adair County Iowa

USGenWeb Project

 


Biographies

Henry and Nicholas Henning

The first to settle in what is now Eureka township were Henry and Nicholas Henning, in 1860. They purchased the land on section 31, in this township, in 1857, but did not move on it until the year as above stated, although they improved and cultivated it. Henry Henning is a native of Hamburg, Germany, born November 1, 1827, the son of Daniel and Annie (Osterhdurf) Henning. He came to Baltimore, Maryland, in 1848, where he remained some three years. From there he removed to Rock Island, Illinois, in 1851 and in 1856 to Adair county. Locating in Jackson township, he purchased the land on section 31 in Eureka, and after remaining about a month, returned to Illinois. In May, 1857, he returned and lived on the middle Nodaway river, near the Jones farm, on section 4, Jackson township. Here he built a small frame house In the fall of 1857, and here he lived until May, 1860, when he removed to section 31, Eureka township. All this time he was improving his farm. He was married February 14, I870, to Miss Mattie Herr, of Richland township, by whom he has one child—Frank.
The Henning brothers started and ran the first brickyard in the county, in 1858. This was then in Washington township. The next year they followed the same line of business in Jackson township, on Alfred Jones' land, and, in 1860, on section 4. The brothers still live on the farms they laid out on section 31.

Nicholas Henning, a native of near Hamburg, Germany, was born in October, 1853, and is the son of Daniel and Anna (Osterndurf) Henning. He immigrated with his brother to Baltimore, Maryland, in 1848, and there remained until 1851, when he came to Rock Island, Illinois, and on the 1st of May, 1857, he moved on section 4, Jackson township, Adair county. He came to his present location on section 31, Eureka township, in 1860, where he owns 250 acres of land, under cultivation, and has a number of fine cattle and hogs. Mr. Henning was married on the 21st day of February, 1868, to Miss Eliza Little.

transcribed from "History of Guthrie and Adair County Iowa, 1884 "

 

Click here to view his and Eliza's gravestone

Back to Biographies

 


Adair County

Return to home page