This website was launched befittingly on the 71st Anniv. of the United States involvement in WWII, 12/7/2012.
Seventy-one years ago, the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, brought the U.S. into World War II. In his address asking Congress for a declaration of war, President Franklin D. Roosevelt called Dec. 7, 1941, a date that "will live in infamy."
|ServiceMEN stories||Posted in Mar|
- During the month of March 2017, the number of additional ServiceWomen pages will be posted here: 
Lt. Edna Mae F. Mennenga, Cerro Gordo Co.
Lt. Edna (Koehler) Lauen, Cerro Gordo Co.
Specialist Iva Mae Paul, Wright Co.
Ida Jeanne Dakin, Hamilton Co.
Lt. Col. Kathleen McClure, Hardin Co.
Doris Mamie Hosler, Hamilton Co.
Jean Holtz, Dickinson Co.
w/updates: Hamilton Co's: Robert A. Kahl; Melvin H. Middents; and numerous others.
- Updated/County News Articles Across Iowa: Hamilton County, Daily Freeman Journal, June 27, 1946 -- Thanks to Pat Juon, Researcher, for her transcription! Washington, D. C. — (AP) — The war department......
- Updated/County News Articles Across Iowa: Hamilton County, Daily Freeman Journal, Nov. 13, 1945 (another one from Pat Juon)
- Several historical News stories from 1944 are now posted under the heading: Camp Dodge, Iowa. This includes some very interesting photos.
w/updates: The DesMoines Register published Iowas Honor Roll (which consisted of servicemen photographs from various Iowa counties) depicting those that were killed in action or died as a result of combat or POW status. It has been determined that Iowas Honor Roll (published in Sunday's Register) ran from Dec 1943 into May 1944. At this time the following issues have been transcribed & posted with photographs included on individual Servicemen Tribute pages: Sunday, Jan. 2, 1944 [35 photos]; Sunday, Feb. 13, 1944 [21 photos]; Sunday, April 30, 1944 [15 photos]. ~Thanks to WWII researcher, Terry Hirsch, for spotting this ongoing tribute in the Register.
Muscatine County: Bersch, Arthur A.; Connor, Howard; Gesell, Walter; Kleist, Norman A.; Leedy, David A.
Fayette County: Sanford, Ben B.
Plymouth County: Paulin, Kenneth R.
These listed above are just some of the counties & ServiceMEN names that were updated with the Honor Roll photos. And brand new pages have been created for additional ServiceMEN, as their stories became known.
|ServiceMEN stories||Posted in Feb|
w/updates: Palo Alto Co's, Lt. Bruce Johnston
w/updates: Plymouth Co's, S/Sgt. Lawrence Brandenburg
w/updates: O'Brien Co's, Robert Merriam (POW)
w/updates: Hamilton Co's, Wendell W. Woodall
w/updates: Woodbury Co's, Carl D. Paulson
w/updates: Dickinson Co's, Pvt. Sydney E. Weaver
w/updates: Dickinson Co's, Pvt. William Lee Mitchell
- During the month of Feb 2017, the number of -additional ServiceWomen pages will be posted here: 
- w/6 Obituary updates Hamilton Co: Hames, Oscar H.; Trampel, Elfred; Philbrook, Arthur Clarence; Pelz, Darwin K.; Snider, Wendell L.; Staples, Russel.
- w/ 16 page updates: Woodbury County ServiceMEN: Maron, Ray R.; McCullough, William; Yaneff, Paul; Friend, Willis F.; Hoeck, Wayne J; Lebeck, Howard; Hollmer, Fred T. jr; Casavant, Donald L; Kirsch, Frank G; Dutton, James N; Connolly, James A; Luther, Kenneth M & Laverne; Metz, Wilbur R.; Bradley, John; McGlauflin, John.
|ServiceMEN stories||Posted in Jan|
w/updates: Osceola Co's, Lt. Marvin Duane Schneider
- Researcher, David Parker, has shared wonderful history by scanning the pages of "The Historical Annual, National Guard of the State of Iowa - 1938." This book is a fabulous source of the Iowa National Guard history, with so many pages of facts, photos and description of those involved--A very special book of documentation, leading up the United States involvement in WWII--All the history specific to Iowa. This book is nearing upload completion. The book included 239 pages, with nearly as many photo images to share. The 1938 Index is ready! Again thanks to David Parker who cared enough to take the time to scan and share --- David's father, was Melvin Lee Parker. See his father's detailed page on Johnson County.
w/updates:Woodbury Co's, Pvt. George G. Birmingham