Clinton County

Lt. Hazel F. Kallenbach


Beulah M. Johnson, formerly of 4147 College ave, and Hazel Kallenbach, formerly of 1245 Sixth ave, have been commissioned third officers at the first WAAC training center, Fort Des Moines. They are selected for officer training on the basis of ability and record of work as auxiliaries.

Source: The Des Moines Tribune, July 2, 1943 (photo included)


Washington -- The war department Tuesday announced the promotion of Capt. Genevieve Smith, army nurse corps, Dubuque, Ia. to major.

Promotions to other Iowans were as follows:

Lieutenants to captain - Myra H. Heeren, army nurse corps, Creston; Charles A. Striegel, infantry, Des Moines; Edward E. Anderson, medical corps, Dubuque and Donald G. Colby, signal corps, Monona.

Second to first lieutenant -- Maryann Hughes, army nurse corps, Clear Lake; Mabel S. Heth, army nurse corps, and Hazel F. Kallenbach, women's auxiliary corps, both of Des Moines, Aletha Steen, army nurse corps, Iowa City; Isadore A. Dilley, army nurse corps, Kingsley, and Ruth M.E. Kosbau, army nurse corps, Waukon.

Source: Quad City Times, July 19, 1944

Capt. Fay Kallenbach, formerly of 1519 Grand ave., now is chief of officers branch, army service forces, of the 1st service command with headquarters in Boston, Mass. Captain Kallenbach enlisted in the WAC in October, 1942, and received basic training at Fort Des Moines. A graduate of the 31st officer candidate class in June, 1943, she has been stationed at Boston since August, 1943. She is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Marcus Kallenbach, Grand Mound, Ia.

Source: The Des Moines Tribune, June 25, 1946 (photo included)

Hazel Kallenbach, of Calamus, Dies

Calamus, Ia. – Miss Hazel Faye Kallenbach, 37, died at 4 p.m. Monday in the home of her brother-in-law, Melvin Dunn, two and a half miles southwest of Calamus. The body was taken to the Kelly Funeral Home in Grand Mound.  Funeral arrangements are incomplete.

Source: Quad City Times, November 2, 1948

NOTE from the journal of a family member:  Hazel Fay, one of Uncle Mark’s daughters, was in the military from 1942 until 1946. She was never married, as far as I know. Fay came to live with us while we lived in the house on the sand hill, which must have been in 1946 or 1947. I knew she had a problem I thought was related to the war.  Neither I, nor apparently anyone else in the household, knew much about depression. She committed suicide in an upstairs bedroom.