Adams County

T/4 Hugh Berry


Personnel of Jefferson Company with Boys Now “Missing in Action”

Here is the national guard company which left Jefferson in March, 1941, taken in the Jefferson armory just a few days before starting its trip to Camp Claiborne, La. The company has been in the thick of the battle in Tunisia and reports of “missing in action” have been received this week by many families.

Source: Jefferson Herald, March 11, 1943 (includes photograph of National Guard group)

News Has Come Recently
24 In Germany

Messages from men who have been held prisoners of war by the German government since their capture Feb. 17, 1943, at Faid pass, North Africa, continue to come to their relatives at home. The first came Monday evening, May 14, and each day more are received.

The Langfords this afternoon received a letter from their son, Verl, who said that another man who went with the company, Hugh Berry now of Mt. Etna, had also been freed. The letter, written May 11 said they were liberated April 21 by the Russians but he had to remain there until May 7 because there had been some heavy fighting in the area.

He said that both he and Jack were in good health. Jack and Berry left May 1, but he remained in camp for duty with the local organization. They were to leave that day for LeHavre by plane, and he would then meet Jack and Berry, and they would go home for 60-day furloughs. Don Hanson was with him, and they expected to get home together.

Source: Jefferson Herald, May 24, 1945

Bob Moore, H. Berry
Arrived Home Tuesday

T/4 Hugh Berry, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ozro Berry, arrived home Tuesday, having been a prisoner of war since February 17, 1943. Sgt. Robert Moore, son of Mrs. Mae Moore, also taken prisoner at the same time at Faid Pass, in Africa, returned Tuesday noon. Both boys will enjoy sixty day furloughs and will report at Hot Springs, Arkansas upon their completion. They are in good health and looking fine.

Source: Adams County Free Press, Corning, Iowa, Thursday, June 28, 1945, Page 1