1943 . . .

LeMars Globe-Post
Thursday, July 8, 1943

The last of the sons of two LeMars families left yesterday to join the armed services, when Peter Keihn, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Keihn, and Kenneth Smith, son of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. H. Smith, went to Sioux City to join other recruits for the U. S. Navy.  Being under 18, the boys did not have to go through the draft machinery.
This now makes all five sons in the service for the Keihn family, and all three sons for the Smith family.

~Pvt. Francis “Shorty” Hazel arrived home from Fort Sill, Okla., to spend a furlough in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Joe Hazel. Pvt. Hazel is in the overhead department of the army, consisting of keep up the area. He is engaged in painting and carpenter work.
~Cadet Bud Masuen left June 30 for service with the navy at Marysville, Mo., where he will be stationed for a year at the State Teacher’s college.
~Jack Koerner and Wayne Begg left last week for St. Ambrose college at Davenport, where they start service in the U. S. Navy in the V-12 program.
~Rex Knapp, son of Mr. and Mrs. F.W. Knapp, who left here for military service, is in Jefferson Barracks, Mo., where he will received the six weeks basic training. Mrs. Knapp received a long distance telephone call from Rex Saturday night.
~Delores Kunkel, 20, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew J. Kunkel, LeMars, is taking a four month course in radio communications, learning to transmit and receive messages in International code, at the naval training school for Waves on the campus of the University of Wisconsin, Madison.  Upon completing the term she may qualify for a rating of a radioman, third class. She will be assigned to duty at a shore station within the continental limits of the United States and relieve an enlisted man for active duty with the fleet or aboard.
~Pfc. Kenneth L. Klemme, son of Mr. and Mrs. Emrey Klemme of near Akron, has been transferred to Salt Lake City, Utah, for further training as an aerial engineer with Western Airlines. He was formerly with American Airlines in New York City.
~Pvt. George Kucera of Camp George West, Golden, Colo., visited in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Pete Charles over the holiday. 
Mrs. Pete Charles and Pvt. Geo. Kucera left Wednesday to visit in the home of their mother, Mrs. Anna Bogdzell of Omaha.
~Mrs. Gertrude Albert has received a card from her son, Wayne Albert, stating that he has been graduated from a paratroopers school at Fort Benning, Ga. He made his last jump Friday and received his “wings” Saturday.  Five successful jumps have to be made to win the paratrooper’s “wings.” Pvt. Albert volunteered for paratroop service and was transferred from an armored division at his request. He was drafted last fall.
~Pfc. Elmer Bruns arrived home this morning from Camp Chaffee, Ark., to spend a 9-day furlough in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Bruns, of Brunsville.
~Pvt. Donald Winchester has written his parents from Africa, stating that he is in good health. He likes the country but says he would sooner be in the “good old U.S.A.” Pvt. Winchester has been in Africa two months.
Elton Carey
has applied for immediate induction and expects to leave Sunday for the first lap of his army V-12 training. Meinert Orban goes with him. Another navy enlistee is Jack Harker, who expects to be called into active service in about a month.
Corporal Kenneth Sitzmann returned home Saturday from Lubbock, Tex., where he is a sheet metal worker in the army air corps, on a 15-day furlough. Cpl. Sitzmann has been in the army since Dec. 1, 1941, five days before Pearl Harbor, and is therefore entitled to wear the pre-Pearl Harbor service ribbon.

 LeMars Globe-Post
Monday, July 12, 1943


~Photograph of Herman Stoos included on the front page of the newspaper issue
(NOTE: The news article was obscurred and could not be transcribed. See the July 29, 1943 news issue below for another story about Sgt. Herman Stoos.)

Mrs. Robert M. Koenig has received a cablegram from her husband, Lt. Robert Koenig, who is in England, stating that he has received an air medal for having successfully completed five air missions. Lieut. Koenig is a member of a bomber crew.

~Cpl. John VonHagel has returned to Nashville, Tenn., after spending a nine-day furlough with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Gerd Von Hagel.
~Pfc. Lloyd James Cronin, son of Mr. and Mrs. James J. Cronin of near Marcus, left this morning spending a seven-day furlough for Fort McArthur, Calif.,after here. Pfc. Cronin has been in the army since September 22, 1941.
~Pfc. Edward J. Swain, who is stationed at Long Beach, Calif., has recently been promoted to corporal and was transferred from No. 4 gun crew to No. 5, according to word just received by his mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Swain of Alta.
~Esterre Bohlke, Special Technician 3/c (Waves), daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joe B. Bohlker, spent a few days in her home before reporting at her new base where she will be a link trainer instructor.
~Germaine Robinett arrived here Friday night from the Brooklyn Naval hospital, to spend 12 days in the home of his mother, Mrs. Lillian Robinett. He is rated a pharmacist’s mate, second class, and has been in the navy since July 4, 1942. He received his “boot” training at the Great Lakes.
~Bud Bolser has notified his parents that he is now stationed in the navy training camp of Bennison, near Farragut, Idaho. His outfit is now under quarantine for scarlet fever.
~Seaman Fritz Mayrose and his wife arrived here Saturday morning for a visit in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Mayrose. He has completed his training at Great Lakes, in the fire control school. He will remain here until Wednesday. Seaman Mayrose said he has received shipping orders, but naturally can not name the ship. Mrs. Mayrose will make her home in Chicago.
~Hilbert Ludwig, who is stationed at a camp in California, is enjoying a 10-day furlough at his home here.
~Word has been received in Kingsley of the recommended advancement of Jack Graham, to be advanced to the rank of Chief Petty Officer, in the Navy. Graham enlisted in the navy on Sept. 20, 1939, and was rate yeoman first class on January 1, 1943. He served at sea in the combat zone for 3 years and 10 months. In April of this year he was assigned to duties as yeoman in charge of personnel and now has been found qualified for the next highest rating.
~Maynard Alfstad of Sheldon is stationed at Jefferson Barracks, Mo., and John Alfstad is at the Great Lakes naval training station. Both are sons of Mrs. Harry Alfstad of Sheldon.
~Elton Carey and Meinert Orban left last night for Des Moines to be inducted into the army. They asked for prior induction and expect to take part in the V-12 program. When they left they did not know where they would be sent for training. John F. Starzl was sworn in Friday for active service in the navy under a V-6 enlistment. His original enlistment last January was not completed at that time due to a suspension of voluntary enlistments, and he has been working in the Bremerton Navy Yard until now. He is home on a 5-day leave. Charles William Keihn and Kenneth Smith left Des Moines Saturday for Farragut, Idaho, for boot training in the navy.
~Seaman First Class Robert Traufler, son of Mrs. Genevieve Traufler, arrived in LeMars Saturday night to spend part of his leave with relatives here. He is a former Globe-Post carrier and was a very good one.  About a year ago he enlisted in the navy.
~Pvt. Kenneth Lubben of Camp Haahn, Calif., arrived Sunday morning to spend a week’s furlough in the home of his mother, Mrs. Ethel Lubben. Pvt. Lubben is a member of the coast artillery and enlisted on January 28, 1943.
~Pvt. Gene Nuebel will leave Tuesday night for his camp at Little Creek, Ft. Story, Va., after spending a week’s furlough in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Joe Nuebel. He is a member of the second coast artillery and entered the service the day before Thanksgiving.
~Allen Rudolph Bartels, son of R.C. Bartels of LeMars, this week entered the electrician’s service school at Farragut, Idaho, for a 16 week course in that specialty.
~The George Schnepf family have received word that their son, John Schnepf, who is in the army, that he is now in Alaska on the Attu Island. He writes that the climate is wonderful and his health is good. Wm. Carrington, who also is on the Attu Islands, has written his parents in Kingsley, that there are four boys from Kingsley stationed near him.
~Harris Rosendahl, who enlisted in the Merchant Marines, and who has been assigned to sea duty after completing his training at the Sheepshead Bay, N.Y., training station, was notified just before shipping that he has been selected for training in the merchant marine officer’s school, and was given a leave home.  From here he will go to -----Kansas. [the copy cuts off here]

Now At Fort Crook For Final Physical Examinations

The July draft contigent left Sunday afternoon by bus for Ft. Crook, Neb., for final physical examinations for the United States armed forces. The group numbered 15 and they will return sometime tonight or tomorrow for three weeks furlough before starting actual training.
The list includes the following: 
Earl B. Haack, Remsen
Delbert J. Joustra
, Akron
Elton H. Carey
, LeMars  
William E. Fitzpatrick
, LeMars    
Earl Helm,
Sioux City
Raymond E. Reed,
Chas. W. Swift,
George W. Cain,
Avery J. Burns,
David M. Fenske,
Donald W. Schwier,
Eldon H. Simonsen,
Meinard W. Orban,
Norman C. Marienau,
Paul Hoppe,
The following men have been transferred to other boards and will leave for service too:
Alvin L. Workman, Madera, Calif.
Melvin J. McAnninch, Long Beach
Edward J. Wesseling, Pella
Nick J. Schwiesow, Omaha
Robert H. Nason, Stevens, S?

LeMars Globe-Post
Thursday, July 15, 1943

This Is Suggested by Terse Letter Received By M. A. Cass, Jr.

A brief letter received by M. A. Cass, Jr., thanking him for some cigarettes he had sent, indicates that Allen H. Wernli was wounded in action somewhere in the South Pacific, but gives no hint of his present whereabouts, except that he is in a hospital somewhere.

The letter does not say that Wernli was wounded; states merely that he “had a little tough luck” and indicates that he does now know at present whether he will be returned to duty, or possibly sent home on furlough

Allen Wernli is a private first class in the Marine corps. He has been stationed at Pearl Harbor, but may have been fighting at New Georgia or almost anywhere in the South Pacific.  He may at present be in a hospital in the South Pacific, at Pearl Harbor, or at San Francisco.


Lieut. Wade Woodke, son of Mr. and Mrs. C. C. Woodke of this city, has notified his parents by letter that he has arrived in New Guinea with the American air force. Lieut. Woodke is a bombardier and spent some time in Australia before landing in the islands. His letter passed the censors in regard to giving his location.

Army Gets Six and Navy Five From Last Contingent

There were four rejects in the July draft call, leaving 11 men who will enter actual training in about two weeks.  A group of 15 went to Fort Crook, Neb., last Sunday for physical examinations, and after a three weeks furlough, the army will get six of the men and the navy five.

U. S. Army

U. S. Navy

Earl Helm, Sioux City

Earl B. Haack, Remsen

Avery J. Burns, Westfield

Delbert J. Joustra, Akron

Eldon H. Simonsen, Merrill

Raymond E. Reed, Kingsley

Meinard W. Orban, LeMars

George W. Cain, LeMars

Norman C. Marienau, Merrill

Donald W. Schwier, Struble

Paul Hoppe, LeMars


~A report lacking details was received at Western Union College Wednesday, to the effect that Calvin Gillespie, who was in the Navy aviation, was being hospitalized after being wounded in action.  Definite confirmation of this report has not been received.
~Captain Ted Ryan, of the U. S. Army medical corps, who is home on furlough to his home in Sioux City, was in LeMars visiting his friends here today. Capt. Ryan is a former Western Union college student.  He attended medical college later, and is now attached to an army unit at New York.
~S/Sgt. L.R. Featherston, who is stationed at the Army and Navy hospital in Hot Springs, Ark., and Pvt. Gerald Featherston, aviation cadet stationed at Morningside college, Sioux City, spent the week-end in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Greg Featherston in Union township.
~Sgt. Walter J. Smith from Camp McClain, Miss., arrived Thursday afternoon on a furlough visit with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Chas. H. Smith. Sergeant Smith just missed seeing his youngest brother, Kenneth Smith, who left last week for Camp Farragut, Idaho, and his oldest brother, Petty Officer 3/c Marvin R. Smith of Davisville, R.I., who was here on a short furlough the latter part of June.
~Aviation student, Marlin McDougall, who has been attending pre-flight school at Washington University, St. Louis, arrived in LeMars yesterday for the funeral of his uncle, Alec McDougall. Upon completion of his course at St. Louis, he expects to go to San Antonio, Tex., for classification and flight training.  Mrs. McDougall, and his sister, Mary, who has been working in St. Louis, accompanied him. They all plan to return to St. Louis. McDougall is a squadron commander and has command over about 100 men.
~Sergeant Vincent Pollock, who is stationed at Camp Phillips, Kan., is spending a furlough with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Max Pollock at Akron.
~Pvt. Russell Gillespie of Camp Rucker, Ala., is visiting with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. D.L. Waterbury of Akron.
~Cletus J. Hansen, who entered the armed services in August, 1942, leaving from Primghar, was in LeMars Wednesday making arrangements to work for Uncle Sam on the farm. He was honorably discharged from the coast artillery at Miller Field, N.Y., and will farm near Granville.
~Mrs. Clifford Kress of Merrill received word her son Paul Kasten has been advanced to seaman first class. Paul has been stationed with the Navy Seabees at Sitka, Alaska, since December, 1942.
~Mrs. Herman Harms of Brunsville left Friday morning for Seattle, Wash., where she will spend two weeks visiting her son, Willis Harms, a member of the United States Marines. Willis enlisted in the Marines in November 1942 and was called into the service on December 2, 1942. He spent his 19th birthday en route to camp.
~Cpl. Dick Crayne of Camp Crowder, Mo., is spending a furlough with his family in LeMars.
~Pvt. Roy Willer, who is in training at an army camp at Long Beach, Cal., is spending a furlough with his father, Charles Willer, at Akron.
~Dr. A.J. Kessler of Akron has left for Dallas, Tex., to be inducted into the dental corps of the army. His rank will be captain.
~Pvt. Stanley Harris and wife are visiting relatives in Akron. He is training at Camp Pendleton, Oceanside, Cal.
~Relatives of Corporal Herman Dirks have received word that he is in training school at Camp Davis, N.C.
~Cadet Henry C. Koch of Hannibal, Mo., spent a 11-day furlough at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Koch. He reported on July 11 at St. Louis, Mo., for further instructions for navy aviation.
~Albert Olson, who is stationed at Chicago, is spending a furlough in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ole B. Olson.
~Seaman Willis Radtke of the naval training school, San Diego, is home on furlough visiting his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Radtke, at Westfield.
~Lieut. Rush Benson, stationed at Fort Sill, Okla., with the field artillery for officer’s training, arrived in Sheldon Friday evening on furlough visit with his mother and sister.  His father, Major Raymond T. Benson, is at New Orleans.

LeMars Globe-Post
July 19, 1943

Dr. and Mrs. E. M. Miller of this city have received information concerning the report in the last issue about Lieut. Calvin Gillespie being wounded in action.
Lieut. Gillespie attended Western Union College and while here lived at the Miller home.

A letter received from him states that he was in New Guinea and was flying a B-25. He states his plane was hit somewhere in the area of Rabaul, the shells piercing the cockpit. He states he is progressing favorably in a hospital there, after undergoing “an operation.”  It is believed that Lieut. Gillespie was wounded by shrapnel while flying over Rabaul, but from the tone of his letter he is feeling fine and his spirits are still high.

Soldier Nearly Drowned When Water Cans Tipped Over

Remsen Bell-Enterprise:  Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Doud of Oyens returned from Camp Livingston, Alexandria, La., where they went following receipt of word that their son, Verdon Doud, was seriously injured while on army duty, report that the lad is out of danger although he narrowly escaped death.

Verdon, with several other army boys on the night of June 29, went for a truck-load of water, carried in 100 cans, each can full weighing 50 pounds.  Verdon was riding the cans on the return trip, and during the dim-out the driver missed the road and the truck rolled off a steep embankment.

Verdon was caught under the avalanche of cans, and besides injuries inflicted by the cans themselves, was nearly drowned by the spilled contents. Quick aid saved his life although he was unconscious for seven hours. He suffered two head injuries, both regarded as serious, besides many bad cuts on his lower body.

Mr. and Mrs. Doud, traveling by auto, arrived at his bedside the following night and spent several days with him. Army authorities had provided every accommodation for them and the Oyens couple declare they received splendid services from the Red Cross as well. They left their son in a much improved condition and by Monday, this week, he was well enough to telephone his parents at Oyens, saying the doctors expected him to remain a hospital patient for two weeks longer, after which he will go to a convalescent ward for a like period.

~In a letter received recently from Bob Becker, son of Mr. and Mrs. Alwin Becker, he stated that he is now stationed at Camp Fannin, Texas, where his battalion has just been filled and training is now starting in earnest.
~According to word received from Bud Scholer, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frank Scholer, he is stationed at Almeda.  He is attending the Cooks and Bakers School. Bud said that the boys get quite a few weekend passes and that many of them go to the Russian River which is near there.
~A letter was received Saturday from Kenneth Smith, who entered the Navy July 7, from Camp Scott, Farragut, Idaho. Kenneth stated that he liked the Navy to date, and that Charles Keihn, who enlisted at the same time, are still together and hope to stick together thru boot training. Letters from friends would be greatly appreciated by the boys and their addresses could be had by calling the home of the boys’ parents.
~Pvt. Hilbert Ludwig, son of Mr. and Mrs. George Ludwig, and Pvt. Gayland Bollin, son of Mr. and Mrs. G. Bollin, have left for Camp Beale in California, after spending a 15-day leave furlough in the home of their parents.
~Aviation Cadet Bevan G. Holmberg, son of Mr. and Mrs. E. E. Holmberg of Merrill, who is at the army air forces advanced flying school at Moody Field, Georgia, was recently commissioned a second lieutenant with the rating of army pilot.
~Seaman Dale Rienking, 2nd class machinist mate, who is stationed at Daytona Beach, Fla., is spending a furlough in the home of his sister, Mrs. Art Berkenpas.
~Cpl. Albert C. Olson, who has been stationed at the Stevens Hotel, Chicago, is spending a 10-day furlough in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ole B. Olson, of Seney.  Cpl. Olson is in the air corps.
~Cpl. Bevo Reynolds and wife arrived here late Thursday from Albuquerque, N. M., to spend a furlough in the home of his mother, Mrs. C. A. Reynolds and family. Cpl. Reynolds is in the quartermaster’s corps, attached to the air force and entered the service September 5, 1942. He is a former printer of The Globe-Post. Mrs. Reynolds, the former Myrna Dose, a nurse at Sacred Heart Hospital, is employed in a doctor’s office at Albuquerque. Mrs. Reynolds has another son, Harry Reynolds, in the army on the West Coast, and a daughter, Odette Reynolds, a member of the WAVES.
~Lieut. Albert Wiltgen, navigator in the ferry command at Memphis, Tenn., arrived home Thursday night for a short furlough in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. N. W. Wiltgen. Lieut. Wiltgen was a former member of K Company and attended training at Camp Claiborne. When the outfit shipped across, he was chosen for special aviation work and in October will have completed a year as a navigator. He has made several trips across the ocean, doing transport work.
~Lieut. Bob Kempker, bombardier pilot stationed at Dalhart, Tex., arrived home Thursday to spend an 8-day leave in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. F. Kempker. He has been in the service for two and one-half years and received his wings on April 1, 1943.  He has completed his combat training and is ready for action.
~Robert John Flynn, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Flynn of LeMars, was recently graduated from Aviation Radio school at Jacksonville, Florida, as a third class petty officer. Enlisting December 1, 1942, he was sent to Great Lakes, Ill., for indoctrination and training, before being transferred to the Naval Air Technical training center at Jacksonville.  Flynn is now a qualified aviation radioman and will probably see sea service with a naval air unit.

LeMars Globe-Post
July 22, 1943

Remsen Boy’s Name On U. S. List of Those Rescued

A Navy release yesterday included the name of a Remsen sailor, G. H. Juhl, among the 150 men rescued by the Navy after they had been stranded on a Kula Bay island near New Georgia.

The men were part of the crew of the cruiser Helena, sunk in a battle with the Japs in which losses several times as great were inflicted on the enemy.

A number of Chinese refugees, who had come to the island originally from Canton, were rescued along with the Americans. The rescue was ticklish, as the island was within range of Japanese shore batteries. The castaways managed to conceal their presence from the Japs and the rescue was affected without interference from the enemy.

Acting on the suggestions of friends and relatives of men and women in the armed services, The Globe-Post will henceforth run most news items about those in uniform under the above heading. Send in YOUR service news. Give the boys (and girls) in uniform credit for what they’re doing, and don’t let them be forgotten just because they’re far from home.
~Lieut. Bill Arendt, who has been on duty at a camp in Alabama, has been ordered to Camp Carson, Colo., and managed to get a couple of days leave in the home of his parents in LeMars this week.
~George Miller, who has been serving at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., since his induction into the army, has been transferred to Omaha, where he will be a member of the permanent army overhead.
~Sgt. Herman H. Borchers, who is an instructor at the Fighter Command training school on radar and searchlights at the Orlando Air Base, Orlando, Fla., arrived Thursday for a 14-day furlough at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Borchers of near Akron.
~Seaman Dale Rienking, machinist mate 2/c, who has been visiting his sister, Mrs. Art Berkenpas, also his mother, Emily Reinking, left Wednesday of last week to resume his duties at Daytona Beach, Fla.
~Pvt. John Foreman, of Long Beach, Calif., spent a few days at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. M. J. Foreman. He was called here for the funeral of his grandmother, Mrs. John Reiners, Sr., of Orange City, who passed away on July 4.
~Pfc. and Mrs. John Aalbers were dinner guests in the home of Mrs. Aalbers’ parents, Mr. and Mrs. M.J. Foreman on Monday. Pfc. Aalbers left Saturday for Pueblo, Colo.
~Pfc. William G. Hamann spent a five-day furlough last week with his wife and son, Mrs. Wm. Hamann and Glenn in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Emil Hamann of LeMars.  They also visited in the home of Mrs. Hamann’s mother, Mrs. Blanche Hammett of Sioux City. He is stationed at Camp Haan, Calif.
~Pfc. Eugene L. Dorr, son of Mr. and Mrs. Lester Dorr, LeMars, has arrived at the army air forces training command post in Scott Field, Ill., where he will receive an intensive course in radio operating and mechanics to fit him for duty as a member of a fighting bomber crew.
~Robert John Flynn, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Flynn, LeMars, recently graduated from the aviation radio school in Jacksonville, Fla., as third class petty officer. Enlisting Dec. 1, 1942, he was sent to Great Lakes, Ill., for indoctrinal training before being transferred to naval air technical training center in Jacksonville.  Flynn is now a qualified aviation radioman and will probably see service with a naval air unit.
~Donald R. Witt, seaman 1/c of the USCG, left on Thursday for San Francisco, Cal., after spending a 14-day furlough in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Reinhold Witt.
~Nick Stoos of Remsen and Aloys Stoos of LeMars write home to relatives here that while they were stationed in Australia, they met each other. We can’t give the names of the divisions, but they both are in the Navy.
~Cpl. Albert T. Hoffmann, son of Mr. and Mrs. T. F. Hoffmann of Merrill, has been assigned to the technical school, army air forces technical training command, Sioux Falls, S.D., training as a radio operator-mechanic. Cpl. Hoffmann attended Liberty Consolidated school and graduated in 1935. He was inducted on April 20, 1942, and has been stationed at Camp Roberts, Calif., San Antonio Cadet Center, Texas, and Sheppard Field, Tex.
~Pfc. Henry Ommen of Camp Butner, N. C., is spending a 12-day furlough in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Ommen.
~Pvt. Virgil L. Knorr arrived home Sunday from Camp Butner, N. C., to spend a 10-day furlough in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Knorr.
~Doyle Niehus, Petty Officer 3/c, has arrived safely in Ireland according to word received by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Andy Niehus. After finishing a course in radio, he joined the merchant marines and is now a radioman stationed at a large American naval base in Ireland.
~Seaman First Class Gunner’s Mate, A. H. Bauerly and his wife, spent Monday evening in the C. M. Peckenpaugh home. Seaman Bauerly is spending a furlough in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Bauerly of Remsen.
~Pvt. Robert Casper of Camp Haan, Calif., is visiting relatives and friends in this vicinity this week.

LeMars Globe-Post
July 26, 1943

~Cpl. and Mrs. Bevo Reynolds left Sunday morning for Albuquerque, N.M., where Cpl. Reynolds is stationed at Kirtland Field.
~Verdon J. Doud, Oyens lad who on June 29 was seriously injured when he was thrown from an overturned truck near Camp Livingston, La., has suffered a relapse, according to word received last week  by his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Doud. However, his condition is not alarming. After having improved sufficiently to be out of bed, Verdon is reported to be suffering with severe head pains and a heart ailment, and is again confined. A long period of complete rest is required, according to army doctors.
~Vernon Breitbarth, son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Breitbarth, has notified his parents that he has passed for radio. He is stationed at Camp Scott, Farragut, Idaho.
~Sgt. Walter J. Smith, stationed at Camp McCain, Miss., in the medical corps, returned to camp Friday evening after spending 9 days of this 15-day furlough in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Chas. H. Smith.
~Cpl. Ray J. Renken, son of Herman Renken, who has been stationed at Camp Butner, N.C., is now stationed at Camp Crowder, Mo. His brother, Marvin E. Renken, is stationed at Daniel Field, Augusta, Ga.
~Cpl. Allen J. Dugan, son of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Dugan, who has been spending a 10-day furlough here, returned Wednesday evening to Camp Van Dorn, Miss. Cpl. Dugan is assigned to the medical corps of the 370th field artillery and just before coming home completed a two-months course in surgery at the Brooks General Hospital at Fort Sam Houston, Texas.
~Robert E. Reeves, son of Dr. and Mrs. J. L. Reeves, is stationed at Camp Barkley, Texas, where he is in officer’s training infantry.
~John Kowalke, former student at Western Union, visited here two days before returning to New York, where he has reported for Navy training. He is planning to apply for a commission as a chaplain in the army.

LeMars Globe-Post, Thursday, July 29, 1943

Ray McNamara of K. Company Tells of Hot Fights
Wounded in No. Africa
Were Within 25 Feet Of Ronald Carey When He Was Killed
Ray M. McNamara, of Kingsley, home on a furlough with his mother, Sarah McNamara is the first of men from this vicinity involved in the North African campaign to return home. He was guest of honor at an open-house party given at Kingsley by his friends, and was interviewed Tuesday by a Globe-Post reporter.

Ray McNamara was wearing an Army summer uniform, with American campaign ribbon and two silver stars for meritorious action in two conflicts. His left hand is still in bandage. He was wounded by a machine gun bullet on Hill 609, Tunisia, where the Americans broke the key German defenses and opened the door for the extraordinarily fast _____ in Africa. The bullet passed through the hand, damaging the bones, and the index finger is now held down against the palm. When he returns to the military hospital, it may be necessary to amputate his finger. He was also wounded in the right knee with shrapnel, and the knee will x-rayed upon his return. He already spent 2 ½ months in hospitals.
McNamara left LeMars with old K. Company. There are of course many K. Companies in America, and the code of censorship prohibits identifying the company in any other way. The names of the divisions have been printed just to be on the safe side and to say that the old K. Company is still functioning as a unit with many of its original members still in the company.

“We saw our first battle on a ______ from a little town called _assar. We thought that was tough, but it really wasn’t. It was just our warming-up stance. We held the hill successfully against German attack and later spread out and went all across the desert. We came to Fondouk Pass and thought the fighting there was really tough, but later we all decided that this too, was only WARMING UP for tougher battles to come.”

There was another hot fight in _____ Pass, and after that there was the really tough job of taking Hill 609. Pvt. McNamara was not able to tell much about the ______ ground of the battle for this hill. It was on this hill he was wounded, and lost interest in the proceedings. However, the dispatches have stated that hill was strongly fortified by Germans. They had artillery which prevented for other forces from getting further to the plain which lies north, and the hill had to be ______ before the final push in the _est of Tunisia could be made.

Pvt. McNamara did not see ______ outfit after he was wounded, so he was unable to be a part in the triumphant entry into Tunis and Bizerte. He says that although he has received letters from friends, he _____ be unable to state whether his company was included in the push against Sicily, past or ____ing.

When questioned of personal pride he said, K Company is certainly one of the fightin’est outfits to land in Africa. When asked who, of all the men in the company were the TOUGHEST IN BATTLE, Pvt. McNamara replied:
"The toughest? They’re all really tough. I think almost everyone in the African campaign agree that K Company and the other two outfits with us were about as tough a proposition that ever inhaled the African dust."

Questioned why did Germany’s best men turn and run?  [Next line not readable]

Of course, not every man was given the same blood-lusting ability to get at the enemy in hand-to-hand combat. But it wasn’t a matter of desire anyway. When the time came, you just went at it whether you thought it was right or not.

We were continuously under fire for hours at a time, at times waiting in holes, some of them covered with brush and ____ling, completely unprotected by chance bullets, taking chances with snakes, thorns, mines and the other fellow’s bayonets.

BUT AT TIMES WE FELT THAT OUR WORST ENEMY WAS THE SUN. I hear talk about the heat, since I’m back, but I tell you that there is no sun as hot as the African desert is when you have to lie out there on the baking rocks that send the heat up into you, and the endless sun over you, and you barely dare to take a sip out of our scanty water ration, because a movement might attract enemy aerial observers. The crawling and waiting are bad, but the fighting in such heat is worse, and sometimes it went on hour after hour, with no rest, and sometimes, it seemed, no hope.

“It was in times like this that we really came to respect and love our non-commissioned officers, who never sent their men into danger, but always led them there. Men such as Sgt. Vanderwall; Sgt. Buck Stausen of Dubuque (who joined K Company in Scotland), and by his quick thinking saved his men from almost certain destruction several times; Staff Sergeant Lowell Betsworth and Corporal Jack Rickabaugh, who was so good in tactics that he could outmaneuver the Jerries any time and any place.”

“Corporal Rickabaugh’s specialty was showing up at unexpected places at the right time with a sub-machine gun, with which he could infiltrate the enemy positions. Those Jerries got to watching for Corporal Rickabaugh, and try to shoot him up, but just when it looked as though they had him, he’d turn up somewhere else and pour a stream of bullets into the guys who were assigned to get him. There’s no doubt that he saved a good many lives for us, because these tactics of his certainly made our advance easier and safer.”

“For close-in fighting, I’d put my money on Corporal Johnny Trobaugh. He’s especially good with a gun-butt and bayonet and the enemy who meets him hand-to-hand is a gone goose. So far, anyway, and he hadn’t even been wounded up to the time I left.”

“I saw Corporal Trobaugh battling a pretty tough little German, and when Trobaugh attempted to disarm him in the approved bayonet-fighting manner, which jerks the gun out of the fellow’s hand, the German hung on, and was THROWN CLEAR OVER TROBOUGH’S HEAD, like pitching hay. It was just too bad for him.”

Pvt. McNamara was about 25 feet from Corporal Ronald Carey when the latter was killed, early in the Tunisian fighting. Although Carey was a little fellow, he was one of the coolest and best thinking under that the company had.

Roddy Steers (of Kingsley) and I were about 25 feet from Corporal Carey when he was killed by a mortar shell.”

“Corporal Carey was in charge of a walkie-talkie outfit (portable radio.) Roddy and I were talking to him, when mortar shells started to land near us, and we decided to spread out and drop down. Corporal Carey, of course, was delayed by his radio equipment, and couldn’t get down so quick. He was knocked down by a shell fragment. But other men have been knocked out, and we didn’t think Ron was badly hurt. A MOMENT LATER, however, ANOTHER MORTAR SHELL LANDED RIGHT BESIDE HIM, and that did the business. He wasn’t badly messed up, but it was enough.”

More for a gag than anything else, the reporter asked McNamara if there was anybody in the old LeMars outfit who wasn’t a good soldier.
“Not a one!” McNamara answered promptly. “They’ll all do their stuff. They have all faced everything the enemy could throw at them. Many in our outfit and other outfits with us were wounded, sick, and quite a few killed.”

“Many a time we were homesick, and once in a while we wondered if the people at home realized what we were going through for THEM. And the boys would gripe too. But every time the show-down came, every single man was facing the enemy; every single man did his job, willingly and well.”
“To put it bluntly, Ma’am,” he said to the reporter, “I’ll say it’s one damned fine army!”

A Two-Way Job
On the Enemy

From an army evacuation hospital “somewhere in North Africa” Dr. and Mrs. Jos. Sharp of Kingsley received a letter from their son, Wyman Sharp. He says he is recovering nicely from his wounds, being hit three times in the leg and hip with bullets about the size of .30 caliber. He didn’t realize the extent of his injuries for about a week, and doesn’t know yet what did happen. Hill 609 was a terrific battle and “the Americans had to shoot the enemy going over, and bury ‘em a week later coming back,” the Kingsley News-Times reports.

Mrs. Frank Stearns has received word from her son, Willard Stearns, from Tokyo, Japan. The message was on a Japanese card and stated that he was well, “health as usual.” He said that he had not heard from home since 1941.

The message came through Switzerland through the medium of the Red Cross. As Willard did not know that he parents had moved to Des Moines, the car was sent to LeMars.  He was captured by the Japs at Bataan.

[Family Note: This article refers to Herman Stoos' mother as Mrs Herman Stoos and she was actually Mrs Mattias Stoos. ~information from Matthew Stoos, nephew]
Mrs. Herman Mattias Stoos has just received a letter from Capt. Chas. A. Easton, commander of the service company in which her son, Sgt.  Herman Stoos, was serving when he was killed in Africa. The captain says:
“I wish to extend to you my personal sympathies and the sympathies of the entire command upon the loss of your son, who died bravely while in the line of duty. I sincerely feel that we share your loss with you, for Herman’s absence from our ranks will be greatly felt by those who knew and worked with him.

Your son had been with this company for a long time, having come to us while yet in the States, and throughout this period he was respected by all; a fine soldier and a true friend. He did his work willingly and in such a way as to make it an example to be followed by all.

He has been buried in a well-kept American military cemetery, and his personal effects will be forwarded to you through official channels. If I may in any way be of assistance to you, or give any further information, please feel free to call on me.

In closing may I extend to you the sincere condolences of the entire service company upon the loss of one we know was dear to you. With kindest personal wishes, I remain,
Very Sincerely yours,
Chas. R. Easton, Capt. –th Infantry”

~Pfc. Jack Hart, who is stationed at Camp Van Dorn, Miss., is spending his furlough in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Hart.
~Donald Schulte returned to Camp Crowder, Mo., after spending his furlough with his brother-in-law and sister, Mr. and Mrs. Louis Lampe, and with his parents at Breda. Donald has finished his technical training, having specialized in code work, and will receive his rating upon his return to Camp Crowder.
~Pvt. Felix Traufler arrived from Scott Field, Ill., having received an honorable discharge from the army. Private Traufler will be employed in defense work.
~Pvt. John Pitts has returned to his post with the military police at Des Moines after spending a 10-day furlough with his mother, Mrs. Maude Pitts. He is one of three brothers in the service. Pvt. LeRoy Pitts is stationed in the army air corps at Colorado Springs, Colo., and Pvt. Melvin Pitts is somewhere in the South Pacific.
~Cpl. Robert Munger of Camp Young, Indio, Calif., arrived here Monday evening to spend a 15-day furlough in the home of his mother, Mrs. Maggie Munger.
~Mrs. Harvey E. Johnson and 10-month-old son, Gary Lee of Creighton, Neb., have been visiting the past week in the Fred Elsen and Edw. Johnson homes and with other relatives and friends. They have also been visiting relatives at Cherokee and Holstein, the latter being the place where Harvey Johnson was in the electrical business, before he went into the service in March 1942.  He is now stationed somewhere in Canada in the radio signal service group.
~Mr. and Mrs. J. D. Tindall have received word that their son, Capt. Robert Tindall, has undergone an appendicitis operation. Capt. Tindall is stationed somewhere in Alaska.
~AM2/2 Leonard C. Weber, who has been stationed in the New Heberees Islands, returned home Sunday to spend a month’s furlough in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Frank H. Weber.
~Joe E. Stahl of Kingsley, was graduated from a special course for diesel motor operators at the naval air technical training center, Navy Pier, Chicago, last week. Promoted to the rating of fireman, first class, he awaits assignment to duty with the fleet or at a shore station.
~Staff Sergeant Lauren Featherston of Kingsley is spending a 10-day furlough in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Gregg Featherston. He is stationed at the Army-Navy hospital at Hot Springs, Ark.
~Lee Bainbridge, of Kingsley, who is serving in the U. S. Army, has been transferred to a camp in Arizona, where he says “it’s 140 degrees in the shade, and 40 miles to shade.”
~Capt. Harold Wolfson, medical corps, of Kingsley, well trained for duty with troops in the field, after six weeks of rigorous preparation, was graduated July 15, from the medical field service school at Carlisle Barracks, Pa. Following the exercises, he left for his new station where he will put into actual practice the medical training, tactics, military sanitation, logistics, field medicine and surgery, and administration which he learned thoroughly at this West Point of the medical department. He was among a class of 315 physicians, dentists, veterinarians and sanitary engineers who prepared themselves at the army school to convert their professional skills from peacetime to war conditions. Capt. Wolfson, 39, attended Rush Medical School, where he received his M.D. degree.
~Pfc. James Felton left for Kessler Field, Miss., Wednesday after spending his furlough in the Melbourne vicinity.
~Lieut. Donald Munro, is now stationed at Nashville, Tenn., where he is attending umpire school.
~Mr. and Mrs. George Pehler are now receiving lots of mail from their son, Max Pehler, who, they think is somewhere in Algiers. However, he writes that he is getting little, if any, of the letters they send to him. “Our whole outfit has the blues,” he writes. “Nobody gets any mail.” The Pehlers have tried V-mail and ordinary mail and airmail, but it all seems to be held up somewhere. But mail from Max is delivered very promptly—sometimes only four days after the date it is written in Africa. Evidently it is flown back over the Atlantic. Presumably there is plenty of ship space for return mail but all the ships are heavily loaded with war supplies going overseas.
~Pvt. Earl E. Davis has written his sister, Mrs. F.A. Geitz, from French North Africa, where he is stationed. He states that his division was “in on the invasion and several major battles” but specific information was not given. Pvt. Davis has been in the service since Dec. 16, 1942, having gone to Camp Roberts, Calif., and from there directly overseas.
~Pvt. George Rickabaugh, U.S. Marines, left Saturday morning for the Navy hospital at San Diego, Cal., for a physical recheck. Pvt. Rickabaugh has been spending a 30-day furlough in the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Pat Rickabaugh.

Parents Here Relieved; Haven’t Heard From Him for 2 Weeks

Mr. and Mrs. George Koenig were overjoyed Monday night when they learned that their son, Lieut. Bob Koenig, had returned safely from the dangerous mass raid on Hamburg, Germany. The Germans had claimed to have shot 27 of the planes down. American flyers reported that the anti-aircraft fire was terrific.

Lieut. Koenig was the navigator on a 4-motored bomber, which was said to have done exceptional work against military targets, and returned safely to base. Lieut. Koenig’s wife, the former Miss Jean Kistle, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Percy Kistle, is making her home at LeMars.

News that Bob Koenig is still in there flying was especially welcomed because it has been two weeks since any mail was received from him and he is a pretty reliable writer. And while two weeks is not a long time, a lot can happened in that time during active bombing. In the last letter received from him, Lieut. Koenig said “so far I haven’t received a scratch.”

Rattler Was More Surprised Than Annoyed and Didn’t Bite

(Letter received by the Sitzmann family here.)
Long Beach, Cal.
July 22, 1943
Dear Folks,
Back in camp again and boy that means something! Although we all had a very enjoyable time it seems very nice to be back here. Our maneuver was held in Lugana Canyon on the Penterilla mountains. They are about 30 miles from here, straight south toward San Diego. Most of our time was spent in hiking. One day we had a sham battle and it got quite rough. A lot of the fellows were cut up from man to man fighting. It was one platoon again another and having no ammunition we just used actual manpower to take me prisoners. That was really fun.

One day while were out we ate “C” rations. They weren’t bad at all. Each fellow got six cans and you used two for each meal. The cans are about the size of those small soup cans. There is everything in them from candy to coffee. You don’t heat them or anything. It would have been tough if fires would have been allowed.
Uh! Uh!

I had a narrow escape while out on maneuvers. I was trying to hide from some other fellows (enemies) and I laid on a rattle snake. I do mean a big one, too! He was about 8 feet long and I know as big around as my arm. He really scared me. Our officer wouldn’t let us kill him for fear he would strike one of us. The last night we got a rattler about four feet long and he had 11 rattlers. He was just fair size. Other things that bothered us were cactus and mosquitoes.

The last day we were there we went to the beach (about four miles.) We really had fun that day. Went swimming and did some of us ever get burnt. There are lots of sorry boys around here today.