Carroll Daily Times Herald

Carroll, IA

11 Apr 1945




Saves Unit by Knocking Out A Nazi Tank

By Frank Miles
(Daily Time Herald War Correspondent)

In the Field with the First Army (IDPA) -- Captain Stanley J. Jones, Primrose, of the 28th division, who attained his present rank through promotion from first lieutenant has been made an infantry company commander in recognition of splendid combat service.

The captain was awarded the Silver Star for gallantry in action during von Rundstedt's Ardennes counteroffensive when he knocked out a nazi tank with a bazooka and kept the Germans from over-running his company's position.

Captain Jones became acting company commander in November after his commanding officer was wounded in the bloody battle in the Hurtgen forest and was evacuated. He led his outfit through a maze of booby-trapped and barbed wired entanglements and concrete fortifications to capture the shell-shattered village of Simonskall.

The captain's Silver Star citation reads in part:

"Visualizing that the town was about to be over-run and it would be impossible to evacuate the wounded, First
Lieutenant Jones procured a bazooka, and with utter disregard for his own safety, advanced under small arms fire to a position, where he successfully knocked out the menacing enemy tank with three direct hits."

Captain Jones was an instructor in Shannon City high school before he entered the army. He has a B.S. degree from Parsons College, is married and has one child.

Sgt. Jack A. Freedman, Burlington, has been promoted from private first class in the 28th infantry of the Eighth division which in Normandy, Brittany, Brest, the Crozon Peninsula, Luxembourg and Germany has participated in some of the toughest fighting in Europe.

Pfc. Fred E. Martinson, Des Moines of the Ninth army, was in a patrol of seven men, who under enemy machine gun fire killed one Jerry, wounded two and captured 29 prisoners, three 25 mm. ack ack guns and a machine gun.

Pfc. Lynn Richman, a Coralville, was sitting on a slope when a German 88 shel landed near him and proved to be a dud.

William "Bill" Troughton, stocky, genial war correspondent from the London Daily Express, and I were up front together in the fight for Cologne. Two nights later he introduced me to massive Peter Lawless of the London Daily Telegraph. The next day Lawless was killed, Troughton was wounded in the legs and Walter Farr of the London daily Mail was slightly wounded by a nazi shell.

While I was writing this article Troughton hobbled by with a grin.

He was in the British air forces and infantry two years during World War I.

Source: Carroll Daily Times Herald, April 11, 1945

Return to News Index