Walby’s of Winneshiek County

(Leland Walby)

Ole Walby was born 25 Jan 1863 to Andrew Walby in Hadeland, Norway and came to the USA when he was 18. A few years later his brother Anton made the journey. Ole first settled in Wl. When he was 21 he moved to Frankville Twp. in Winneshiek Co. where he found work at the Sheggrud farm. On 16 Sep 1889 Ole married Sophia Sheggrud. They farmed in Frankville Twp. Ole was a well-known Winneshiek Co. pioneer and lived the remaining years on the farmstead. Fie died 12 Apr 1939 in Decorah, IA.

Ole and Sophia had 7 children: Alwin, Gladys (m. Kingsbeck), George, Sylvia (m. Kneeskern), the twins -Evelyn (m. Bolson) and Esther (m. Forsblad), and Kenneth. Alwin Sanford Walby (b. 7 Feb 1890) remained in the area and farmed in Allamakee and Winneshiek Counties. Alwin married Lenora Charlotte Peck (b. 9 May 1895) on 30 Aug 1919. The Pecks were from Winneshiek Co. Alfred Peck was born 1835 in Oswego Co., NY He had 6 brothers. Five brothers migrated West. On their westward journey they worked in Pennsylvania on the Erie Canal driving horses that pulled barges through the canal. Continuing west Alfred's brother George worked in Wisconsin at a newspaper. Later he wrote the book Peck's Bad Boys which became a well-known popular book! George W. Peck served 2 terms as governor of Wisconsin from 1891-1895 and died in 1916.

Alfred worked and lived in Minnesota meeting Martha Marie Rogers who was also born in New York in 1839. Her family had moved to Wisconsin and then to Minnesota. Alfred and Martha were married 14 May 1860 and moved west of Frankville in Winneshiek Co. They built a log cabin and the farm was in the family for generations. Eight children were born: Wallace “Wall”, Dolph, Sidney, Dan, Ace, Martha (m. Halsey), and two died in infancy Mary and David. Dolph “AD” married Nellie Hastings in 1893. Seven children were born: Lenora Charlotte (m. Walby), Roy, Hartley, Helen (m. Lucich), Elmer, and two died in infancy Nellie and Mary E. The Peck brothers were accomplished musicians, playing violins, drum, organ and piano. Martha Rogers Peck’s brothers were well-known violin makers.

Alwin and Charlotte’s family included 4 children, Dorothy (m. Waters), Lester, Leland and Doris (m. Ellis). Alwin farmed east of Frankville in Winneshiek and Allamakee Counties. Both Charlotte and Alwin were active in the Frankville Presbyterian Church. Alwin was a Board of Director for the Frankville Cheese Factory. Charlotte taught in rural schools.

Leland Everett Walby (b. 22 Aug 1925) played a great ball game as pitcher and farmed in Allamakee and Winneshiek Counties, building a strong dairy farm. Leland married Janice Nellie Brainard on 1 Jun 1946. Janice also taught in rural schools. Janice was a member of the Frankville Ladies Aid. Leland and Janice are both past elders of the Frankville Presbyterian Church. Leland earned the Allamakee Co. Distinguished Dairyman award in 1972. He also served as the Big Four Dairy

Herd Improvement Association’s (DHIA) first secretary and 25 years later served as its president. Leland was on the Postville School Board, Tree Farm and Conservation groups, NFO, the Frankville Cemetery Association and presently serves on the Northeast IA Community Mental Health Board. Leland and Janice still reside at their woodland home in beautiful Winneshiek Co. Their children are: Jan Rupnick, Seattle, WA; Mary Froelke, Cresco, IA; Laura Geno, Postville; and Wendy Froelke, Forest Lake, MN; and 2 boys adopted when they were 8 and 5, Craig of Postville and Richard of Marshalltown.

Helen Lucich of Hood River, OR lived with Leland and Jane for 4 years after her husband died. She now resides in the Aase Haugen Home in Decorah.

Walker, Daniel and Emma (Hurd)

(Bonnie Welsher)

Daniel Peter Walker was born 15 Nov 1859 in Moneek, IA, the son of William Henry and Eliza Ann Walker. After the death of his father in the Civil War, Daniel and his sister, Charlotte (b. 24 Nov 1861) were sent to an orphanage in Cedar Falls, IA. After many attempts to run away from the orphanage, Daniel, at the age of 15, finally was on his own. In 1899, Daniel married Emma Ida Hurd in Decorah. They had 8 children: Ethel, William, Nellie, Guy, Charles, Lottie, Grace and Georgia. All the children were born in Decorah.

Ethel Mae born 28 May 1888, was reared in Decorah, then lived in Rushford and Spring Valley, MN returning to Waterloo, IA in 1911. Ethel married George Milford Essex 30 Jan 1924. George was a court bailiff from 1928-44. He died 7 Apr 1952. Ethel was a member of the Linden Methodist Church, D.U.B.-1016 for 27 years and the Eagle Lodge. She had no children, but many nieces and nephews who called her “Auntie F”. Ethel died 19 Mar 1967 in Waverly, IA and is buried in the Garden of Memories, Waterloo.

William Robert born 15 Jan 1891, married Kathryn Kirchberger 17 Jul 1912 in Waterloo. During World War II, he served with the electrical engineers in the Aleutian Islands. After the war he was employed by the Construction Machinery Co. of Waterloo. In 1958 he opened the Walker Electric Shop on Jefferson Street in Waterloo. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church. William and Kathryn had 2 children: Bob Walker (Denver, CO) and Madeline Walker Williams (d. 1986). William died 6 May 1964 and is buried in Fairview Cemetery, Waterloo. Nellie Eliza born 8 Sep 1892, grew to womanhood in Decorah and then married John Carter 16 Mar 1919 in Galena, IL. Two children were born to this union: Dorothy (b. 26 Dec 1919) and Wayne (b. 20 Jul 1921). John died at home in Sep 1953. Nellie died 16 Sep 1980. Both are buried in Fairview Cemetery, Waterloo. Guy Ellis born 8 Jul 1898, was like his father, Guy grew up to own a junk yard and rear 8 sons and one daughter. Guy married Helen A. McCleery 15 Nov 1915. They had 5 sons of whom one died of measles and another was stillborn. Guy owned and operated Walker Wrecking & Salvage in Hampton, IA until he and Helen divorced in 1939. In Jun 1940, he


Partial OCR transcription, some sensitive personal information such as birth dates of people that maybe living is not included.

See the associated scan to compare with the published information.

Please, contact the County Coordinator to submit additions or corrections.

Winneshiek IAGenWeb Home

Copyright statement

Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
~all of which applies to the Winneshiek Co. website. ~
this page was last updated on Tuesday, 30 March 2021