Valle, Ole Halverson and Marit Olsdtr. (Langerue)

(Norman W. Hjelmeland)

Ole Halverson Valle, son of Halvor Larson Valle and Veil Olsdtr. Landsverk, was born 21 Nov 1821 at Numedal, Norway. He emigrated to Rock County, Wl in 1841 when he was 19 years old and worked in the iron mines near Dodgeville, Wl. In 1843 he arrived at Fort Atkinson, IA and became engaged in the service of government as a civilian teamster, hauling provisions from Fort Crawford, Wl to the Fort Atkinson Garrison 15 miles south of Decorah.

He was also employed in breaking up pieces of bottom land on the Upper Iowa River as the government was attempting to teach the Indians agricultural techniques. Ole H. returned to Rock Co., Wl in 1845 where he married Marit Olsdtr. Langerue. She was born 27 Oct 1826 at Numedal, Norway and emigrated to Rock Co., Wl. in 1842.

In 1846 Ole H. and Marit came to the Iowa Territory to the area that later became Clayton Co. They settled in what became Read Twp. southwest from the present site of St. Olaf, IA. Thby later moved to Pleasant Twp. in Winneshiek, Co., where Ole H. died 24 Oct 1901 at 79 years of age. Marit died 9 Jan 1908 at age 82.

They were among the organizers of the Springwater Lutheran Church and were buried in the Springwater Cemetery in Canoe Twp. Ole’s mother, Veil Landsverk Valle, is also buried in the Springwater Cemetery. She died in 1882 at age 91. Ole's father Halvor Larson Valle died in 1857 at 67 years of age and is buried in the Norway Lutheran Church cemetery near St. Olaf, IA. Ole H. and Marit were the parents of 11 children: one died as an infant; Jorond O. (b. 1846) married Lars Thovson in 1890 and lived in Clayton Co. He was a widower and had 5 children. Veil O. (b. 1848) married Peder C. Peterson and lived in Duel Co., SD and moved to Brandt, SD after retiring. They were the parents of 9 children. Anne O. (b. 1849) married Christin J. Peterson and lived in Duel Co., SD and were the parents of 8 children. Sarah (Sigre) O. (b. 1852) did not marry. She was deaf and attended the School for the Deaf at Council Bluffs, IA. She lived with her parents on the Valle farm in Pleasant Twp. and died 31 Jul 1930 at age 77. She is buried at the Springwater Cemetery in Canoe Twp., Winneshiek Co. Halvor O. (b. 1854) married Martha Halvorson in 1875 and they farmed at Duel Co., SD. They moved to Brandt, SD after retiring. They had 5 children. Guri 0. (b. 1856) married Hans Erickson Ness in 1877 and they farmed in Pleasant Twp., Winneshiek Co. They had 13 children: Oscar (infant), Marie, Clara, Oscar, Ellen, Betsy (infant), Willie, Harry, Stanton, Lillie, Charles (infant), Norman and one unnamed infant. (See Hans Erickson Ness)

Betsy O. (b. 1858) died a short time before she was to be married. Olena O. (b. 1861) married Tosten Iverson Hagen in 1879 and farmed in Pleasant Twp., Winneshiek Co. They had 12 children: Eddie, Marvin, Theodore, Matilda, William, Fred, Mabel, Emma (infant) Emma, Elvin, Selmerand Pearl Iverson. Ole O. (b. 1864) married Betsy J. Dahl and lived at Brandt, SD and had 3 children. Ole died in 1931 and is buried in the Springwater Cemetery in Canoe Twp. Winneshiek Co. Mary 0. (b. 1869) married Charles Barker and lived at Decorah, IA. They were the parents of 5 children: Nellie, Byron, Ruth, Harry Barker and an unnamed infant.

Van Pelt, Dorcus (McCullough)

(Carol J. Shipe Volstad)

Dorcus McCullough was born in Virginia on 9 Sep 1830 to John C. McCulloch (McCullock - McKalich -McCullough) born in Virginia in the year 1800 and Mary — also born in Virginia. John was a miller. Dorcus’s brothers and sisters were: John (b. 9 May 1838); in Lafayette Co., Wl; Rebecca; Lucie and more unaccounted for. The family moved from Virginia to Lafayette Co., to Allamakee Co., IA in 1850, and later came to Decorah in the early 1850’s. Dorcus was married to James Van Pelt in the year 1853 or 1854. To this union 10 children were born: Hattie, George, Walter, Ashley, Tess, Phoebe, Grace, Ev, Lou and Helen. (More information on the family is listed under James Van Pelt).

Dorcus's brother John married Janette Garfield 21 Dec 1858. The couple had 5 children: Adele (b. 1865); Mary (b. 1868); Daisey (b. 1876); William and one unknown.

Mary Lucinda married Will Yarwood and for a time lived on an acreage outside of Austin, MN. They sold it to John and Emma Barth Shipe. The Shipe’s still own the acreage after 57 years. Mary and Emma were second cousins. Emma is the mother of the author of this article.

The following notice was published in theTue., 12 Dec 1905, DECORAH JOURNAL: John McCullock, the aged father-in-law of Will L.Yarwood passed away at the latter's home last Sunday. Mr. McCullock had never recovered entirely from the effects of the inhaling of the gas at a St. Paul hotel several weeks ago, where he and Mr. Yarwood came so near being killed by a leaking gas jet. John’s wife Janette died 15 Nov 1901, and both are buried at Phelps Cemetery, Decorah.

John C. McCoiloch (Dorcus’s father) is noted to be living with Dorcus and James Van Pelt during the 1880 census and is supposedly buried at the Cemetery at Conover, Iowa. Dorcus was quite sick on 19 Apr 1900 and died during that year. She is buried in Phelps Cemetery. Her husband James died 14 Sep 1897 and is also buried in Phelps Cemetery.

Van Pelt, James and John

(Carol Shipe Volstad)

James Van Pelt was born in 1820 in the state of Ohio. His brother John Van Pelt was born in Middlesex,Chautauqua Co., NY 8 Apr 1823. Their grandfather John Van Pelt (1758 -1828) served as a private in the Middlesex Co., NJ militia thus fighting in the American Revolution. He was born on Staten Island; died in Penn Yan, NY

John Van Pelt married Sarah Platt (1766 -1854) in the year 1782. James and John’s father John Van Pelt, Jr. (1786 - 1854) married Mary Lee (1798 - 1828) in 1815.


Complete OCR transcription

See the associated scan to compare with the published information.

Please, contact the County Coordinator to submit additions or corrections.

Winneshiek IAGenWeb Home

Copyright statement

Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
~all of which applies to the Winneshiek Co. website. ~
this page was last updated on Tuesday, 30 March 2021