Highway Patrol. She lives in Riverton, UT Kirsti loves horses and spends her free time riding and caring for her two Arabian horses. She has her mother’s gift for sewing, needlework and painting.

After high school graduation, her son, Paul, joined the Marine Corps and served in the Phillipines. After leaving the service, he attended Winona State University, graduating with a degree in accounting. He lives and works in Chicago. Paul likes sports and is a computer whiz.

Julie enlisted in the Army after high school graduation. She trained at Ft. McClellan and Ft. Eustis. She married Charles Sharier, a career Army man. He had 4 daughters by a previous marriage: Candy, Stacy, Joan and Caroline. Julie and Chuck were stationed in Germany for 3 years. While there the family enjoyed wonderful camping vacations in Europe. Caroline went with them on one of their trips to Germany and Italy.

When Wally retired, they moved from Thief River Falls and bought a home in Detroit Lakes, Wally’s home area. In retirement he farmed and fished. Caroline continued with her many interests. She loved watching sports on television. Her favorite was the Wimbelton Tennis Tournament. Julie used to say, "Don’t call Mom when Wimbelton is on. She won’t talk with you!”

Caroline was seriously ill for several years and was on renal dialysis from Jul 1990 until her death 23 Dec 1993 in a Fargo hospital. She is buried in a rural cemetery near Detroit Lakes. Her husband lives in Detroit Lakes enjoying his farm, fishing and pheasant hunting.

Shotwell, Polly

(Hazel Hoyt Markovetz)

Polly Shotwell came to the Decorah-Freeport area with a son and his family and a daughter, Maria, who married David Hoyt. It is known that they came prior to 1854. The family came from New York state. Polly was born 6 Jul 1806 (probably in New York state). When she died on 11 Apr 1866, she was first buried in a Freeport cemetery (the oldest one which has been abandoned for many years). A number of years later, her son-in-law, David Hoyt, bought a large lot in Phelps Cemetery and Polly's remains were moved there.

Shroyer, Thomas and Maureen Ann (Lockie)

(Thomas and Maureen Shroyer)

Thomas Lee Shroyer was born the son of F. Donald Shroyer and Elaine Marie (Wangen) Shroyer. His father was born at Hampton, IA. His mother was born in Austin, MN. Don and Elaine were married in Jan 1948. Thomas has three brothers: Robert James Shroyer of Banks, OR; Larry Dean Shroyer of Cresco, IA; and Timothy Paul Shroyer of Forest Lake, MN.

Thomas married Maureen Ann Lockie on 8 Sep 1946. Maureen was born in Riceville, IA. She is the daughter of Jene Arliegh (Mishimins) Lockie and the late Reed Lowell Lockie, Jr. Her father was born 15 May 1921 in Riceville and died 11 Apr 1995 in LaCrosse, Wl. Her mother was born  near Riceville. Maureen’s brothers and sister are: Gordon Reed Lockie of Riceville; Deborah Jene (Lockie) Van Arkel of Grinnell, IA; and James Scott Lockie of Menomonie, Wl.

Thomas and Maureen have three children, all born in Decorah: John Thomas,  Ellen Frances and Elizabeth Ann.Thomas and Maureen are members of the Decorah Lutheran Church. Thomas is a veterinarian who owns and operates the Decorah Pet Hospital. He was a 1983 graduate of the Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine. He practiced in Olney, IL and St. Louis, MO before moving to Decorah. Maureen graduated from the College of Education at Iowa State University in 1983. She taught pre-school in Olney, IL, children with specific learning disabilities in St. Louis (Churchill School, Ladue, MO) and has taught kindergarten for the past eight years at the South Winneshiek Community School District. As a family hobby, the Shroyers breed, train and exhibit American Quarter Horses and Pembroke Welsh Corgis.

In Aug 1991 the Shroyers moved to their current residence on 250th Street in Glenwood Twp, Winneshiek Co. The previous owners of the farm shared with them a story of how and why the driveway goes from 250th Street, through the middle of the building site and out east of the house to what is now Glenville Road. The section of 250th Street directly south of the building site was not constructed until the 1940's or 1950’s. The driveway was once part of the “Stage Road" - a stage coach route going to Lansing. This story also answered the Shroyers questions about an unusual structure just south of the house. This structure is made of hewn limestone and forms an archway and tunnel supposedly used to house and protect passengers while waiting at this stop. It was rumored that it was also used to keep refreshments cool. At this time the Shroyers are unsure which buildings on their property, if any, existed during the time period of the “Old Stage Road.’’

Sims, Harold and Olive (Fretheim)

(Olive Sims)

Harold Sims was born 10 Feb 1919 in Granger, IA to Norman and Isabelle (Reeves) Sims. Harold served in World War II for 4 years in Belgium, Holland, France and Germany.

He married Olive Fretheim 24 Jan 1942. Olive was born to John Olaf Fretheim (1895-1971) and Ruby H. (Loney) Fretheim (1899-1982). (See John Olaf and Ruby (Loney) Fretheim story.)

Harold and Olive had 3 children: Donald Harold (died at birth 8 Apr 1944); James Norman; and Kathy Ann. James Norman married Elaine Marie Styve. They have 3 boys: Philip James; Michael Allen; and Corey Christopher. Kathy Ann married Troy Hansen 5 Sep 1993.

Harold worked for Thermo Gas Co. until he retired in 1982. Olive worked in a jewelry store for many years. She later purchased the store and sold it when she retired.


Partial OCR transcription, some sensitive personal information such as birth dates of people that maybe living is not included.

See the associated scan to compare with the published information.

Please, contact the County Coordinator to submit additions or corrections.

Winneshiek IAGenWeb Home

Copyright statement

Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
~all of which applies to the Winneshiek Co. website. ~
this page was last updated on Monday, 29 March 2021