years, until they, like so many farmers, were hit hard by the Depression. They had to sell the home farm, continuing to operate the Section 32 farm until the early 1940’s, when they moved to Decorah where they lived until their deaths in 1954 and 1960. It is appropriate that they rest today in the country, in the small rural Russell Cemetery, not far from where they lived, surrounded by relatives, old friends, and neighbors.
Sharp, Lloyd and Hazel (Quandahl)
Lloyd and Hazel Sharp and family on their 50 Wedding Anniversary, December 1981. Left to right: John,
La Vonne, Lloyd, Hazel, Merlin, Caryl and Phyllis.
Lloyd Hutton Sharp was born 19 Jan 1907 on the family farm on Section 19 and 20 in Canoe Twp, Winneshiek Co, IA, the son of Charles Hutton Sharp and Stella Mary (Headington) Sharp.
On 8 Dec 1931 Lloyd was united in marriage with Hazel Quandahl (b. 5 Mar 1914), the daughter of John Severin Quandahl (1863-1925) and Sara (Nesheim) Quandahl (1879-1970).
During the early years of their marriage, Lloyd and Hazel were both employed at the Decorah Produce. Later, Lloyd worked in the construction trade for the Coffeen and Torvik construction firms in Decorah. Using the skills learned in his years of construction work, Lloyd later started his own construction business, specializing in cement work and concrete block construction. In the 1960's, Lloyd started working at Luther College, first as a custodian and later as night watchman and a member of the Luther College security staff. Hazel was employed as a cook at the Cozy Tea Room in Decorah and for many years as a cashier and "soda jerk” at Ted's Tobacco Store. In the late 1950’s, she started working at Luther College, and for many years was head cashier at the Luther Student Union.
Luther College came to play a large role in Lloyd and Hazel's life. All five of their children attended Luther, three of them graduating from the college. Even now, in retirement, Lloyd and Hazel retain a keen interest in the development and progress of Luther.
In the early 1950’s, Lloyd and Hazel purchased a house at 706 South Avenue on the “flat" in Decorah, which was to be the family home for some 35 years. About 1965 they enlarged the house with an addition, Lloyd doing some of the construction work himself. He is especially proud of the cement block garage he built to further improve the property.
Lloyd and Hazel became the parents of 7 children: Cheryl Rae and Merle Hutton, both of whom died in infancy in the 1930's; LaVonne Hazel is employed in the insurance business and lives in Chicago, IL; Caryl Lee is a high school language arts teacher and lives in Spring Valley, MN; Merlin Lloyd is employed as a supervisor at Deco Products in Decorah and lives in Ft. Atkinson, IA; Phyllis Sarah was married in 1970 to James Cutsforth, Jr. at St. Aloysius Catholic Church in Calmar, IA. They live in Ottumwa, IA where Jim is employed by an automobile agency and Phyllis works for the Ottumwa City Cemetery. They are the parents of 3 sons: Brian James who married Keitha Pickerel of Ottumwa in Oct 1994; Patrick John ; and Sean Michael . John Charles is employed at Camcar in Decorah. In 1984 he married Joanne (Halweg) Paul of Decorah. They are the parents of 3 children: Heather Ann ( Joanne's dtr by a prior marriage); Andrew Hutton ; and Lauren Marie.
In 1991 Lloyd and Hazel sold their home on the flat and moved to an apartment at 702 Maiden Lane, where they currently reside, always keeping in touch with family, old farm neighbors, “flatter" friends and members of the Luther “family.” In 1986 their children LaVonne, Caryl, and Merlin, along with three other partners, purchased the historic Wiest Mill in Ft. Atkinson and the “mill house” is often the setting for family gatherings and holiday celebrations.
Sharp, William and Sarah (Smith)
William Sharp was born in Yorkshire, England in 1824. He married Sarah Smith, who was born in 1829, the daughter of William and Sarah (Hutton) Smith. William and Sarah emigrated to the United States about the year 1850, settling in Canoe Twp, Winneshiek Co, IA, on a farm where they were to live the rest of their lives. William Sharp developed this homestead, acquiring more land from time to time until he owned about three hundred acres of fine farm land along the Upper Iowa River in Sections 19 and 20 in Canoe Twp. and Section 30, Bluffton Twp. This farm, a Century Farm, is currently owned by George Smith, a grandson of Sarah Sharp’s brother, George. Another of Mrs. Sharp’s brothers, William, a wealthy Bluffton Twp. farmer, provided money in his will which made possible the building of Decorah’s first hospital, the Smith Memorial Hospital. William Sharp died 31 Dec 1881. Sarah Sharp continued to run the family farm until her death 27 Jan 1895. Both are buried in Russell Cemetery, Section 27, Canoe Twp, Winneshiek Co.
William and Sarah Sharp were the parents of 12 children: Elizabeth A., single, died in 1932 and is buried in Russell Cemetery. Sarah J. (1853-1903) married Milo Emery (1857-1933). They did not have any children.
See the associated scan to compare with the published information.
Please, contact the County Coordinator to submit additions or corrections.
Winneshiek IAGenWeb Home
Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
~all of which applies to the Winneshiek Co. website. ~
this page was last updated on Monday, 29 March 2021