feel a strong urge to go to America. After due consideration the decision was made and preparations were begun for the long journey. Peder was then in his 62nd year and his children ranged in ages from 13 to 27 years. The two oldest sons Jens and Iver were married and established on gaards of their own.

On 5 May 1850 the Ruens with 5 of their children-Ole, Hans, Elina, Kjersti and Marthe-left for America. Leaving Hadeland at the same time were Peder’s brother Iver Sonsteby and family, his sister Anne Svensrud, Peder’s nephews Hans Eggebraaten and family and Hans Blegen and wife, and Peder’s niece Ingeborg Strandbakken. This was the largest group to leave Hadeland at one time and the whole community turned out to bid them farewell. We can well imagine the mingled feelings of anticipation and sadness with which they left their homeland. We marvel at and admire our ancestors who braved the dangers of a blustery sea in pursuit of what America had to offer. Theirs was a true faith in God, satisfied that with his help all would be well with them and that they would find God in America, too. Hans’ mother died of cholera on the voyage to America.

On 13 Jul they landed at Quebec, Canada where they had to remain in a quarantine station for 3 weeks. On resuming the journey they traveled by boat down the St. Lawrence River quite some way, and then by canal boat which was drawn by mules led along the canal’s edge. The remaining miles were traveled overland and the party reached Koshkonong, Wl. The Luvbraates went on to IA; the others remained in Wl until the next summer, with the exception of the Sonstebys.

The Eggebraatens moved to Iowa in Jun 1851 and settled in the eastern part of Glenwood Twp., Winneshiek Co. Some time later the Peder Ruens also moved to IA and were made welcome at the Eggebraaten home. The Ruens established themselves on a farm to the south of the Eggebraatens. A log house was built there and completed just in time for Christmas. It was the first house in the community to have a wooden floor. The lumber for this was secured at Moneek. For shingles, thin strips of wood were cut, this being done so skillfully that they turned out nice and smooth.

The Ruen home was about 12 miles east of Decorah, then a hamlet of 4 or 5 families. McGregor, IA was the first market place and the trip took 5 or 6 days by oxen. Later Lansing, IA became the market place and this trip could be made in 2 days. Lansing was a place of steamboat landings and there they received their mail.

On coming to Glenwood Twp. the Ruens purchased 80 acres close to Hans Eggebraaten in the eastern part of Glenwood. The land was purchased from Tom Strongman, a soldier who had a claim to it, and the deed was made out to Ole Ruen. In 1854 Hans purchased the 80 acres from Ole for $500 and later purchased an additional 80 acres of the same section. Here Hans lived the rest of his life.

In 1855 Hans married Ingeborg Strandbakken who came from Norway at the same time as Hans. Ingeborg was born on the Strandbakken Gaard at Toten, Norway 26 Sep 1830 to Gulbrand and Marthe (Eggebraaten)

Strandbakken. Ingeborg was confirmed by Rev. Magellson. It was a long distance to go to meet for confirmation classes with the minister so Ingeborg drove their mountain pony. The confirmands were made to stand erect without stirring all through the class instruction and recitation-and class would last for several hours.On coming to IA Ingeborg worked in Frankville at Teabout's Inn. Here she learned to speak English and became acquainted with pioneer life.

Ingeborg’s mother and other children came from Norway in 1852 and lived for a time in Kilbourn, Wl. Ingeborg went to visit them in 1855. While there she married Hans Ruen. He had made the trip to Wl on foot. They came back to IA in style, however, as Hans purchased a little buggy and a horse in Wl. The buggy was hardly large enough for the two and Ingeborg’s trunk, but it was a thrilling honeymoon trip. The couple were enthusiastically greeted on their return to Glenwood.

Hans and Ingeborg at once set to work on their tarm. By thrift and good management they prospered. In 1866 a new home was built. The old one was not long empty, however, for in 1867 Hans’ half-brother Jens and family arrived from Norway, were made welcome at Ruen’s and lived in the log house until they could establish themselves on their own farm.

The Ruens had 10 children all of whom were living when Hans and Ingeborg celebrated their Golden Wedding in 1905. Their children were; Louise, Clara, Peter, Gustava, Mina, George, Victor, Julia, Rudolph and Theodore. Hans was a tailor and practiced this trade to some extent after coming to America. He was one of those who signed the ‘‘kaldsbrev’’ to Rev. U. V. Koren when a call was sent to him, after the organization of congregations in the various communities. Hans held different offices in the church and was always a willing helper and donor to its cause.

Hans and Ingeborg had great pride in their growing group of grandchildren and they in turn adored their grandparents and have many fond memories of them. Ingeborg died 28 Feb 1915. Had she lived till the next fall they might have celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. Hans died 17 May 1917. Both are buried in the beautiful Pontoppidan Cemetery in Glenwood.

Ruen, Henry and Caroline (Egge)

(Elaine Johnson)

Henry O. Ruen was born 31 Jul 1864 to Ole P and Kari (Egge) Ruen. Henry married Caroline Egge, the daughter of Hans and Emmerence Egge 25 May 1872. Caroline (known as Lena) was born 25 Mar 1872. Following their marriage Henry and Caroline moved to Moland, MN (Steele Co.). They became the parents of 5 children: Elizabeth Kathinka “Kay”, Olga, Leonard, Arthur and Orville.

While living in Minnesota Henry Ruen was president of the Molan Creamery and manager of the Farmers Elevator and Lumber Company. In Oct 1913 the Ruen family returned to Winneshiek Co. Caroline and the children traveled by train while Henry brought the family possessions and cattle with their team of horses. At that time they moved to Frankville Twp. to 160 acres purchased from


Complete OCR transcription

See the associated scan to compare with the published information.

Please, contact the County Coordinator to submit additions or corrections.

Winneshiek IAGenWeb Home

Copyright statement

Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
~all of which applies to the Winneshiek Co. website. ~
this page was last updated on Monday, 29 March 2021