Aloysius, who was born 1861 and died 24 Apr 1900 at the age of 39, married Elisabeth Creamer, They had 6 children: John, Edward, Joseph, Hugo, Arthur and Aloysius. John married Elizabeth Timp and had 7 children: Linus, Jerome, Lucille, Ralph, Gregory, Lydia and Gerald. Edward married Elizabeth Boeding and had 2 children: Rose and Blanche. Joseph married Elizabeth Schmitt and had 10 children: Daniel, Gordian, Roman, Bruno, Beatrice, Stephen, Roche, Myra, Mary and Verda. Hugo married Matilda Schrandt and had 8 children: Gabriel, Marie, Vincent, Jim, Stanley, Laurie, Judy and Lillian. Arthur never married. Aloysius married Agnes Gerleman and had 3 children: Dennis, Malene and Loyd.
The original land Johann and Marie Lensing purchased in 1854 was passed on to his son Aloysius and Elisabeth Lensing and then to Joseph and Elizabeth Lensing. It was sold in 1986 to settle their estate. Present day owner is Randy Kuennen.
Lensing's that are on the April 1857 official records for Our Lady of Seven Dolors Church at Festina, Iowa are Wenzel and Gertrude - Louis Lensing.
Leseth, Thomas J. and Laura (Emery)
Thomas and Laura Emery Leseth
Laura Louisa Emery was born in SD 25 Jul 1888, daughter of Aaron and Maggie (McMackin) Peck Emery. Aaron Emery (b.24 Feb 1857) was the son of Winneshiek Co. pioneer settlers O.W. and Martha Mclntire Emery. In 1878 Aaron homesteaded near Salem, SD. 27 Nov 1882 he married Maggie Peck, a widow with 3 children: Clara, Lucy, and Wilburn. Laura was Aaron and Maggie’s youngest child. Older brothers Omri and Willard were born in 1884 and 1886 respectively. Discouraged by Dakota’s poor agricultural conditions, in 1900 the Emerys moved to Iowa, first to a farm in Canoe Twp. on the N. Winneshiek road, later to Decorah where Aaron owned a tavern. Three mugs used in the tavern are among his descendants' possessions; the inscription on one reads: “Honor, fame, wealth and love may desert us, but thirst is eternal."
Working out of doors on the farm with her father and riding horses were Laura’s favorite activities. At an early age she demonstrated remarkable ability to minister to anyone requiring medical aid. When she was only 12 years old, without assistance she delivered the baby of a neighboring farm wife. Laura married Edward Aaby 16 Dec 1908. Daughter Florence was born 7 Dec 1909. Edward Aaby died 29 Mar 1911. Florence married Joseph Poshusta 27 Sep 1932. Joe’s woodworking skills were a family trait. His cousins were the Bily brothers, famed clock makers of Spillville. The Poshustas had two sons: Ronald (b.1935) and Joel (b.1940). Florence died in 1990, Joe in 1992.
Laura married Thomas J. Leseth 28 Sep 1916 in Cresco, IA. Thomas was born in Canoe Twp. 8 Jun 1892 to Peder and Ellen (Thompson) Leseth. Laura and Tom resided in West Decorah all their married lives. He became known as “Hard Road Tom”, a key employee of the Fred Carlson Company for about 40 years. At one time it's possible that he was involved in more paving projects in Iowa than any other person. His association with the Carlson firm began with the company’s founder, Swedish immigrant Fred Carlson, and continued through succeeding generations of Carlsons until his retirement in the 1950’s.
Meanwhile, Laura earned great respect and endearment as the local Florence Nightingale and midwife. Not only did she assist in home delivery of babies, but also she remained with the family to assume all household duties during the mother's recuperation. Laura always recalled fondly every one of “her babies", even when the infant had grown to adulthood. Laura died 22 Aug 1980; Tom died 22 Feb 1985. Both are buried in the Lutheran Cemetery, Decorah.
Tom and Laura had 3 children: Hubert (b. 17 Apr 1918), Evelyn (b.7 Jul 1921) and Marvin. Hubert married Phyllis Johnson 14 Jun 1941; they are parents of 2 daughters: Camille and Adrienne . Hubert died 22 Mar 1995 and is buried in the Lutheran Cemetery. Evelyn married Burl Thompson 15 Sep 1940. Their children are: Rita and Linda (1946-1958). Evelyn died 6 Mar 1968, Burl in 1979. The family is buried in the Lutheran Cemetery. Marvin married Barbara Crosley in 1954. They are the parents of Becky and Laurie.
Leuenberger, Johann and Mary (Ess)
Johann Ulrich Leuenberger was the son of Samuel Leuenberger and Barbara Althaus of Rohrbach, Bern, Switzerland. Johann Ulrich emigrated from Switzerland and landed in New York in 1853. In the United States he used the name Ulrich. He made his way to Winneshiek Co. and purchased a farm a few miles south of Spillville.
In 1858 Ulrich married Mary Ess in Ft. Atkinson, IA. Mary was from Buagberg, Germany. She was the daughter of Joseph Anton and Crescentia (Buhl) Ess. Ulrich and Mary had 7 children. They were: John, Henry, Frank, Lewis, Matilda (m. George Kuhn), Emma and Mary.
Ulrich and Mary purchased land and farmed until they retired. At one time they were said to have owned most
See the associated scan to compare with the published information.
Please, contact the County Coordinator to submit additions or corrections.
Winneshiek IAGenWeb Home
Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
~all of which applies to the Winneshiek Co. website. ~
this page was last updated on Monday, 29 March 2021