3 grandchildren: Diane, Racheal and Eric and also one great grandson.
As a child Charles loved to invent things. He made guns out of just about anything and they worked. His mother would have to hide them from the other children. He entered the army in 1955. When he returned to Decorah he worked for Holt’s Dairy as production foreman for 8 years. Following this he worked at the Decorah Creamery for the next 3 years, until moving to Cedar Rapids in 1965 where he worked for J.C. Penny’s for 27 years. He was also a custodian at the Trinity Methodist Church for 23 years. Doris provided transportation for many people during these years. She was a good driver and enjoyed the people.
Charles is a wonderful artist and storyteller. He is involved in church activities and is on the Board of Deacons at the present time helping others in any way he can. He is now retired and spends his time helping Doris at the rest home. He lives in Cedar Rapids.
Houck, Charles and Clara (Morss)
(Carrie Houck Lee)
Charles Newel Houck was born 2 Jan 1872 in Burr Oak, IA to Jacob and Anna Malinda (Sill) Houck. His father was born in PA 1 Jan 1824 and his mother was born 14 Oct 1828 in New York State. They were married in NY 1 Jan 1850. He had two brothers, Francis Wayland and William and one adopted sister, Emma Duprez.
Charles married Clara Louise Morss on 4 Mar 1903. She was born 28 Jun 1870 in Decorah, IA. She was the daughter of Edward B. and Nacny Morss. They had no children but raised Gertrude Butler Cooper.
“C.N.” Houck spent his entire professional life in the practice of law with the exception of a short time when he traveled for the McCormick Harvester Co.
He attended school in Burr Oak and Decorah, Carleton College for 4 years and the University of MA for one year. He studied law in the office of Atty. Frank Sayre of Decorah. He served as Winneshiek. Co. Attorney in 1912 and was reelected for 2 terms. He served as District Court Judge in 1918 and 1919 being elected to fill out the term of A.M. Hobson. He also served on the school board.
C.N. was a member of the Iowa State Bar Assn., Pres, of the Northeast District Bar Assn, and a member of the Winneshiek Co. Bar Assn. He was exalted ruler of the Elks, a member of the Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias. He enjoyed hunting and trout fishing.
Clara graduated from Decorah High School and attended Valders Business College. For many years she was a court reporter in the 13th Judicial District (Northeast Iowa). She was considered one of the state's most outstanding court reporters.
Clara was a member of the old G. E. Society of the Congregational Church and the Broadway hospital unit. Along with Charles she was among the founders of the Oneota Golf and Country Club. She was Pres, of the club for 2 years during its early years. Charles died in 1946 and Clara died in 1948. They are buried in Phelps Cemetery.
Houck, Frank & Stella (Tosten)
(Carrie Houck Lee)
Frank LeRoy Houck was born 9 Jul 1884 in Burr Oak the son of William and Margary Ellen (Bowman) Houck. His father was born 23 Nov 1858 in Burr Oak to Jacob Houck and Malinda Sill. Frank's mother was born 23 Apr 1861 in Canoe Twp., the daughter of Lysander Bowman. Frank had one sister, Mabel Houck.
Frank married Estella Luella Tosten on 21 Dec 1927. She was the daughter of Tosten and Christina Johnson. Tosten was born in Norway 20 Nov 1850 and came to Winneshiek Co. when he was about 18 years old with his parents, Tosten Tostenson and Sigrid Ode and his sisters and brothers, Sigrid, Anne, Ole and Peder Ode.
Stella’s mother, Christina Johnson was born 23 Jul 1862 in Pleasant Twp. the daughter of Carl and Martha Nelson. Carl was paid to go into the Civil War for another man. He died there and is buried at the Jefferson Barracks Cemetery in MO. Martha was left to raise her children on $8.00 a month given to her by the government.
Stella had 5 brothers and two sisters: Olaf, Sam, Alfred, Carl, Clara (L. L.Short), Mathilda (W.S. Rolland), and Stella's twin brother, Teddy, who died at three weeks of age. He was thought to have pneumonia.
Frank and Stella had four children: Wilbur, Charles, Harvey and Margary Gottschling. Wilbur LeRoy their oldest son married Esther Otteson on 23 Dec 1954. They had 3 children: Carrie (Kevin Lee); Glenda (Gene Viker) and Bonita (Charles LaRue). Wilbur died 19 Jun 1992.
Charles William married Doris Bell 4 Jun 1954. They had one child: Sharon (Darrel Nightingale).
Harvey Jacob was married to Lorraine Bigler on 4 Jun 1960. They have 2 children: Rodney and Pam.
Margary married William Gottschling 16 Jun 1977. They had 4 children: Debra (Dean Ernest), Diane Allan, Mark and Robert Miller.
Frank got his education in the brick school house in Burr Oak now replaced by a wooden structure. In 1893 he moved to the Blanchard Farm 2 miles south of Burr Oak. It was there that Frank injured his arm and back grubbing out stumps and filling in ditches.
About 1907 or 1908 the family moved to OR where he worked making wooden shingles. After a year or so they moved back to Burr Oak and worked on the farm. Eventually they moved to Decorah where William and Frank owned a livery stable. About 1927 they moved to Twining, Ml where they farmed for 9 years. About 1932 they moved the family to PA for a short time where William and Frank worked on the WPA road crews, then moved back to their farm in Twining. About 1938, and after the deaths of Frank’s parents, they moved back to Winneshiek Co. and settled on a farm near Freeport. Frank retired from farming in the early 1950's and moved to Calmar. While living there he developed gangrene from poor circulation in his legs. He passed away in the hospital in Iowa City, IA.
Stella grew up on the Tostenson farm in Pleasant Twp. and went to the Daubney school. She was a member of the Big Canoe Lutheran Church in her early years. By the time she was old enough to help on the farm her siblings were already gone except Carl.
Please, contact the County Coordinator to submit additions or corrections.Winneshiek IAGenWeb Home
Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
~all of which applies to the Winneshiek Co. website. ~
this page was last updated on Sunday, 28 March 2021