course the building of the railroad gave an unusual impetus
to Promise City. J.
W. Rankins came from Bethlehem with a general stock of goods
and opened a store. Tharp
& Keller started a drug store, which they have since
sold to Charles Manaso.
Dr. W. H. Ernest, of Seymour, started a drug store
which is now owned by C. A. Sager. A Mr. Stripler started a hardware
store which he sold to Duer & Son, and they in turn to
Corbin & Co. L.
Anderson opened his furniture establishment, still under his
Greenlee started a grocery and still holds forth. Mrs. Wilcox
opened a millinery shop and is still here. Noah Scott opened
a general store, but afterward sold out and left. Isaac Bowers
opened a restaurant and ran it a year or more. Dr. Greenlee
started a drug store and ran it a short time. Jack Sharp
started a lumber business and yet follows it. Stanton &
Robinson built a grain elevator. Willis Carr built the Western Hotel,
which is conducted by R. N. Barker.
village was platted by Burris Moore and Richard Givens in
the spring of 1881. It
has had few backsets and now has a population of 300, though
not yet incorporated.
F. Anthony, the present postmaster, was appointed March 1,
predecessor, T. S. Howland, held the office about fifteen
Promise City Press was started in February, 1884. It is a “special
edition” of the Lone Tree Press, of Seymour, and
contains about four columns of matter a week pertaining to
first physician was Dr. Simmons, now of Chariton. He came shortly
after the war and practiced until 1879, when he sold to Dr.
latter removed to Weldon in 1882. Dr. King Trainer studied with Dr.
Simmons, and after two years’ practice went to Kansas. Dr. J. H. Graham
came here from Cedar Rapids about 1881, and in 1884 left for
Burlington, Kansas. Dr.
J. W. Ferguson came in 1881 and Dr. W. H. Everson in 1884,
and both are in practice now.
Presbyterians have held services for some twenty years, Rev.
Bringle, of Corydon, officiating. In 1882 they built a church at a cost
of $1,200, the Methodists contributing to some extent. Revs. D. R.
Hineman and Nugent were the last Presbyterian ministers. The membership of
the society is about thirty-five. The Methodists have held services for
many years and now use the Presbyterian church. Rev. John Harnard
is the present pastor.
The membership is about thirty-five. The Disciples
church was organized in the spring of 1885, and had services
once a month, Rev. Mr. Hickman preaching in the Presbyterian
present no services are held.
The membership is thirty-two.
union Sunday-school is maintained, under the charge of
Samuel Sharp, the attendance at which is about 100.
school-house now used was built in 1882, at a cost of
$1,700. J. W.
Frame is now Principal and Miss Belle Holstein, Assistant. For the year
1885-‘6, 130 pupils were enrolled. The school expenditures amount to