NEW YORK


 

     This village, in Union Township, was platted April 20, 1855, by Messrs. Oorey and Micajah Cross, and said to have been so named because it had more room to grow than our American metropolis had on Manhattan Island.  The first merchant was A. Hutchinson, Sr.; Jacob Morrett, first postmaster.  Others identified with the history of the village have been:  Dr. John Leeper, Jacob States, Albert De Golyer, S. J. Lee, G. A. Bennett, D. L. Hare, and M. G. Thorp.  The last named is the present postmaster.

     The Christian church here was built in 1871 or 1872, and the Methodist church was erected in 1874.

     Dr. Joel Johnson was the first physician to reside here.

     The Masonic order once flourished here, but the lodge has been removed to Confidence.

     Messenger Post, G. A. R., was mustered in February, 1883.  The first officers are: L. H. Goodell, Commander; J. N. Davidson, Senior Vice-Commander; A. W. Dunn, Junior Vice-Commander; A. A. Clark, Adjutant; Milton D. Rew, Chaplain; J. Oldfield, Quartermaster; E. P. Burton, Surgeon; George Harn, Officer of the Day; Henry Olmstead, Sergeant; Andrew Peak, Quartermaster-Sergeant; James Allison, Sergeant-Major.  The original membership, seventeen, has been swelled to thirty-six.  Meetings are held monthly.

     Champion Hill Camp, S. O. V., was organized at New York in 1885, and was so named at the suggestion of L. H. Goodell.

    

Transcribed from the Biographical and Historical Record of Wayne and Appanoose Counties, Iowa Originally published 1886, Inter-State Pub. Co., Chicago, IL

 

Return to main index