The first store in Monroe Township was opened by John Miller & Sons in 1854.  This store was near the site of the village of Genoa, which was laid out by Hugh Miller, of the above-mentioned firm, in 1855.  The village was so named on account of the postoffice of that name, which had just been established.  Hugh Miller was postmaster while he remained in the business, which was till 1857.  Since then the office has belonged to the successive merchants of the place.  For many years Walter Hartsough has been the incumbent.

     Genoa was of some importance as a trading point before the construction of the Rock Island Railroad, and the consequent building up of Seymour.  Prominent among those who were at different times engaged in mercantile trade should be mentioned, Smith & Bennett, Hopkins & Bro., John Jamison and Conger & Michael.  Many of Genoa’s best men went to Seymour in 1872 and subsequently, and Genoa declined in importance.



Transcribed from the Biographical and Historical Record of Wayne and Appanoose Counties, Iowa – Originally published 1886, Inter-State Pub. Co., Chicago, IL


Return to main index