Hutchinson sold out to J. E. Rockhold, who was postmaster until 1881. Arnold made an assignment, and his business was for a time conducted by John F. Hughes. D. D. Elson then purchased the store. N. O. Elson became postmaster in 1881, while running a furniture store. He still holds the office, but in the summer of 1885 he changed his stock to dry-goods. John F. Hughes bought back his store from D. D. Elson, and is still in business. Hutchinson & Williams have a general store. Charles Lathrop has succeeded to the ownership of Rockhold’s store. David Bruner has a drug store, John Pierce and Robert Burns blacksmith shops, and Benjamin Latimer, a grocery.
Dr. Frank Hemenway has practiced medicine here since 1881. Dr. Cyrus Westerfield located here in 1877, and in the summer of 1885 went to Indianola.
The Methodists built their church here in 1877, and have been successively under the ministrations of Revs. Patterson, P. J. Volmer, Boren, E. W. Brady, J. W. Cassel and A. K. Morrison. The society has a membership of about seventy. Services are held every two weeks.
The Disciples were organized about 1879, and have held services irregularly since. Robert Burns has preached every two weeks for a year past. There are some forty members.
There is no school here, the nearest one being a mile and a quarter from Clio.
The station of the railroad was established about 1876. D. C. Walker is now agent.
The population of Clio is 115.