by J. Irvine Dungan

Chapters VI_VIII

Transcribed for the internet by Norma Jennings 

p. 75   



  April 23d, we left Forsyth, some of Company "C," of "cutting Narrative powers" returning, fired the buildings, and we were again on themove. Taking the road to Springfield, we traveled till noon of the next day, when we stopped to rest a few hours at Ozark, when many of our boys supposing our destination to be Springfield, walked on, and when a dispatch was received ordering us to diverge to the northeast, we found that quite a number were ahead on the wrong road. Sergeant Major Burch was sent to not notify them; but many continued to Springfield, not again coming to us for a month. That night we had a rain that raised the streams and softened our beds, we also had a mail, which is the event of the day always. Mail days make the white days for us. Till the 29th, we waded through mud and rain, rain, rain--Missouri skies wept "barrels of tears over us." May the 2nd, found us at Salem, Dent County, Missouri, in a fine camp one half mile from town. No duty to perform, till a rigid camp guard is put on by way of variety.

    Here we received pay, and drew better and more rations than ever before, and remained for a month. While here, our Major Surgeon, Dr. Philip Harvey, left us, being promoted, and Assistant Surgeon, L. M. Sloanaker was Surgeon.

  The 3d of June, we started for Rolla with many speculations as to our probable destination. Reaching Rolla at an early hour the following morning, the

p. 76

same cool reception awaited us there, we entered town with a chilling rain falling, and after some hours spent by our officers in turning over camp and garrison equippage (sic), and by the men in sitting, standing and lying around in the rain, we embarked on some tumbledown old stock cars and made a safe journey to St. Louis, marching direct to the landing.

    Here we found boats ready to take us to Vicksburg, and at a late hour in the day were placed on board the steamer "Chouteau" and started down the Great River.

  At Cairo, while the boat was coaling, the mate abused a negro hand most shamefully; but speedily found that he was "reckoning without his host" and at once made it convenient to go ashore, where he remained.

  The crowded condition of the men was the same, it always of necessity is on board transports, and without accident or incident, we passed Island 10 and other places of interest, reaching the mouth of the Yazoo river the 11th of June, and steaming up a few miles, saw a monstrous fleet of boats, some loaded with stores or ammunition, others carrying troops. Eight miles from the mouth of the river was Chickasaw landing, where we stopped a short time, then rounding out into the stream, came down the river and out into the Mississippi, landing at Young's Point, Louisiana, where were thousands of contrabands camped. The next day crossing the Point through a swamp of dense trees and undergrowth through which no breath of air could find its way, we sweat and fretted, and fell out to "heave over some of our ballast:" lining the causeway with coats, pants,

p. 77

shirts and drawers, and finally emerging into open air, we took a cool breath with a better appreciation of it htan we ever had before.

  Here we went aboard boats for Warrenton, part of our Regiment on the "Silver Wave," and part on another boat. From Young's Point and Warrenton a splendid view of the city and our mortar boats could be had. The 14th moved three miles nearer the stronghold, and the 15th we took position on the extreme left of the investing forces, the 19th being on the right of Herron's Division, which extended to the river below the city. Our camp was in a deep hollow in which was growing cane so close that it was with great difficulty a path was forced through, and in some places impossible. Our duty was doing picket int he rear, digging roads up to the front for siege guns, digging trenches, planting pieces and a sharpshooting. This was continued day and night, the lines were advanced each night and strengthened, the Inquisitorial walls drew hourly  nearer together, and fort after fort abandoned by the rebels. At night the videttes (?) posted in the advance of both our own and the enemy's trenches refrained from firing, although each was visible to the other. Our loss during the siege amounted to but one man wounded, Thomas Pender, of Company "I," and that not dangerously, none killed.

  On the morning of The Fourth of July, when the glad news come, "Vicksburg has surrendered" with prouder hearts than ever before beat in our bosoms we marched into the conquered city. No words of boasting, no insults were addressed to the vanquished; but all conducted themselves as became soldiers of so

p. 78

glorious a Republic. And I have never heard a rebel speak in other than terms of praise of their treatment there.

  After entering the city, and before rations could be issued to so large a number (thirty-two thousand) strolling past a camp, I saw a steak frying and finding it was mule meat, tasted it and to do the mules justice, I must say I have tasted beef more unpalatable, the name of the thing however ruins its flavor

  Our division did guard duty around the city until the morning of the 11th, when at an early  hour we were up, and went aboard the steamer "Tecumseh" leaving our sick and convalescents in camp.

  Here we lay looking momentarily for orders to go down to Port Hudson but nothing came, if I may except a pleasant visit from Major Stanton, once of our regiment, till 4 o'clock in the afternoon when the steamer "Arizonia" (sic) arrived bringing news of the fall of Port Hudson.  This we supposed would end our trip' but orders were received to remain aboard during the night.

  The morning of the 12th, we steamed up the Yazo  (sic) river, a fleet of six or eight steamers and several gunboats. The river was so narrow in many places , that the guards of the larger boats touched either side, and seemed deeper than wide. The overhanging trees interlocked their smaller branches in places and most of the time, men standing on the opposite sides of the hurricane roof could catch the leaves as the boat glided past. The turbid bitter nauseous stream was well named Yazoo or poison water. Along on either shore was an occasional plantation and scores of dusky faces were turned toward us, half fearfully as we passed.

p. 79

  We tied up for the night and at an early hour in the morning started on, the gunboats being in the advance.. About 2 P.M., we heard cannonading ahead, and our fleet stopped, and after two hours tedious waiting, the troops received orders to take one day's rations and be ready to move.

  Leaving our knapsacks on the boats, at 7 o'clock in the evening the 94th Illinois Infantry and our Regiment, under Col. McNulta, of the 94th, were started out through the plantations and coming to a bridge about two miles back that had been partly destroyed. Here Company "A," of the 19th was thrown out as "skirmishers", and the rest of the regiment with the 94th, passed on into the city, hearing just as we entered the suburbs, an explosion that proved afterward to be the gunboat "De Kalb" blown up by a torpedo. Gen. Herron was on board at the time but was not injured and no lives were lost.

  In the morning we found ourselves in the streets of by far the most handsome city we  had yet seen. The fine buildings both public and private, were elegantly fitted up inside, and outside were shaded by large trees; indeed so thick were the trees that but for the spires, the city might be thought at distance to be a grove.

    The few hundred soldiers stationed there had left at the first indications of the approach of the Yankees, and the stores that fell into our hands were very considerable. Ammunition was abundant and good. The citizens learned at the hands of Gen. Herron a lesson that caused them on the approach of a Federal fleet some months afterwards, to give notice of torpedoes being set in the river.

p. 80

  Fruit of all kinds was ripe, and no army having passed through this immediate vicinity everything else was plenty, chickens, honey and other of the good things of soldier's life, and were indulged in freely. Our bill of fare embraced besides meats of half a dozen kinds and wheaten and cornbread, apples, peaches, pears, apricots, figs, melons, and plums; even the bottole of wine was forthcoming.

  On Thursday the 16th, the whole division, except the 20th Wisconsin, were ordered to move; our course was a little south of east, and though as good a country as there is in the south. The succeeding day we reached Black River, about five miles from Canton, where Gen. Sherman's army or part of it, had engaged a force of rebels and drove it the day before.

  From this point we returned to Yazoo City, taking back 2with us a long train of cotton and scores of jubilant contrabands, with which several boats were loaded upon our arrival in the city.

  Part of this trip Gen. Vandever was in command, and won for himself the merited hatred of every man int he division. To speak of his driving thirsty men from wells, and other similar acts, would do no good, and nothing I could say would make him more disliked, therefore I say nothing.

  On the 21st of July, ghoing on board, we left Yazoo City, our fleet consisting of the Armenia, Tecumseh, Meteor, Dove, Desarc, Prima Donna, St. Mary's Iatan, Arago, and Anglo Saxon.

  The trip down the river was a very pleasant one, and was accomplished by 8 o'clock the evening of the 21st. The 24th saw us on board the Sunny South, and steaming down the Mississippi. A cooling breeze

p. 81

from the south  was blowing and notwithstanding the unusually crowded condition of the boat, we enjoyed the ride to Port Hudson, which was reached about midnight the 25th. We disembarked and went into a pleasant camp in a magnolia grove.

  On the 5th of August part of the regiment went on the steamer John J. Roe, and went up the river on a foraging expedition, returning the same evening with cattle and sugar.

  The he4alth of the regiment oat this camp was poor in spite of a high, airy location, where we were dry without being parched by t he sun, and had very good water.

  August the 13th left Port Hudson about 1 o'clock in the the morning, passing Baton Rouge at daylight,. The  river bank has upon it many find plantations and dwellings. Reached Carrollton, La., at 10 o'clock P.M., landed and slept on the levee. Morning brought around us hundreds of hucksters with every imaginable edible and bibible (?), and many not to be imagined,. Our camp was in a grove of Live Oaks with lemon and oleander, interspersed. A more beautiful spot I have never seen, and one hundred yards away flowed the Mississippi. Back of camp was an extensive common upon which on the 21st we had a general inspection by a band-box officer, who scolded and fumed at the lack of polish on our guns and brown ungloved hands--just from the trenches--and not having drawn any clothing we did not look as neat as the regiments that had been on duty in the city for months, so we were condemned--not our regiment alone, but others in Herron's division.

p. 82

  The following day we were reviewed by Gen. Banks and again on the 29th by General Grant, who made a fine appearance on his too spirited steed, for later in the day he was thrown, and for a time the wildest excitement prevailed, but fortunately the hurt was not a dangerous one.

 On the 5th of September we went aboard the steamer Sallie Robinson, with the 94th Ills., and  125 horses. All who thought themselves unfit for a "ten days scount" (sic) remained in camp, and the consequence was, our regiment did not boast over two hundred and fifty men, but they were of the very best.

  The fleet that transported our division, was the following boats: Iberville, Sallie Robinson, Dan. G. Taylor, Arago, and Empire Parish.

  On our way u p the river we stopped at Port Hudson from noon of the 6th till evening, when proceeding on our course we debarked at McCullum's plantation below Point Coupee, four miles, and made ourselves as comfortable as the state of the weather, which was hot, and the poultry yards, which were well stocked would permit.

  The 13th Army Corps had moved nearly the same time that our division did, and contemplated making an advance up the Teche, while Herron with his division was to attract attention to the point where we landed, causing them to fear the advance from that part. The movement of our diversion in favor of the 13th Army Corps.

  While we lay at Morganzia, La., the division under Gen. Herron seemed in a half disorganized state, part of the troops remaining on the boats and many straggling out on shore wherever a convenient shade could

p. 83

be found. But three picket posts protected a large number of rads, and a spirit of carelessness prevailed.

  An expedition was made out to the Atchafalaya River, where the enemy was found to be in force, with artillery planted on the west side of the river opposite the mouth of Flat Bayou, (V.Map)

    This accomplished nothing but to learn the position of the enemy.

 A few days after this Lieut. Col. J. B. Leake of the 20th Iowa, was sent out eight miles toward the Opelousas road with a small brigade of the 19th Iowa,  under Major Bruce, 26th Indiana, under Lieut.-Col. Rose, a section of the 1st Missouri Light Artillery, and a battallion (sic) of the 6th Missouri Light Artillery under Major Montgomery.

  Col. Leake's orders were to stop at Norwood's plantation, making Norwood's house his headquarters, and attract the notice of Gen. Greene, who was in command of the rebel force.

   A company of mounted infantry, composed of details from every regiment in the division, was also with us; it was under Lieut. Walton of the 34th Iowa. The order was to remain at Norwood's so long as water could be had. The cavalry skirmished from the division pickets to the Norwood house, and a sufficient distance beyond to assure them that the force there were driving was only a scout.

  Going into camp here our commander at once set himself to work to acquaint himself with the country, of which he was ignorant, and of which he had no map. Major Montgomery gave him the impression that the road turning to the left from the bridge led in

p. 84

a south-west direction, and in placing the pickets, a post (cavalry) was posted beyond the bridge, and another also of cavalry was placed on the left hand road a short distance from teh bridge. From camp an infantry picket was sent south to a house on the same road the cavalry pickets were on , (this was not known then,) and which was connected to Norwood's by an old road.

  The following day Col. Leake with Major Montgomery, rode to see where that road led, and they found that by this road the rebels could reach our camp easier than we could reach the river; in fact they could connect with the road in our rear by ways against which it was impossible to guard. .

  Running in a south-east course was the grade of a railroad, (marked railroad bed,) on which no ties had ever been placed, and which made an excellent road for either infantry or cavalry. From this railroad was a trail across to that point of the bend nearest camp and troops could travel through any part of the woods easily, the timber was so open.

  Finding the advantageous position the rebels held as regarded roads, Col. Leake at once requested permission to remove within that point of the main road intersected by the by-roads, which was refused, the order being imperatively given to remain there, Gen Vandever, however, being sent out to examine the state of things.. He returned to Morgansia from his visit to the our camp, deeply impressed with the insecurity of our situation, and had an interview at once with Gen. Herron, in which he showed him on the map in what manner the roads and open timbered country, combined to render our position an easily assailable

p. 85

one, but failed to elicit a favorable reply, so, as Gen. Herron deemed our position secure, were again ordered to hold that place. In spite of these reiterated commands, Col. Leake having a note from a citizen outside the pickets, that told of movements indicative of an attack, moved in at night from Norwood's house to Sterling Farm, where that night our little force lay on our arms, and the next day were distributed in the negro quarters and other outbuildings, in such a way as to insure our speedy formation in case of attack.

  The position at Sterling farm, though much better than the former, was still easily assailed for the road to Morganzia was intersected at the point wh ere the abrupt bend is from the North to the East by a path or a cattle trail from the road above, known as Atchafalaya and New Texas road.

  On our arrival at Sterling farm, Col. Leake learning from the negroes on the place, of a cattle driver, belonging to the farm, sent for him, and of him learned the number, course and termination, of these old unused roads, not sleeping till pickets were posted as advantageously as our limited force would permit

  Daily some of our men, cavalry or infantry, sometimes both, would skirmish with the enemy, always driving them and never being able to go farther than the mouth of the Bayou, by reason of their artillery, which was on teh opposite side of the Atchafalaya.

  Every night the pickets were visited, each post, by Col. Leake, and we all thought him much too strict, one cavalryman actually being arrested for sleeping on an advance picket. An air of vigilance prevailed and there never was a camp in which each man more felt

p. 86

the importance of care and watchfulness, such was the force of our commander's example.

  The Nineteenth never before had kept in camp so closely as here, and not an hour passed but the whole command could have been in fighting trim, in line, in less than tow minutes. Every day a squad of our mounted infantry went to the river and returned never failing to see stragglers of the rebels, sometimes inconsiderable numbers; but they never exchanged shots, the rebels fired once at Adjutant Wood, who escaped unhurt.at length this became so threatening that General Herron was addressed in a note, asking if he was aware of the daily presence of large numbers of rebels in our rear, and between us and his division.

  He replied that he did know of it, in fact had taken a prisoner from some Texas regiment, and yet with his three thousand men and several Batteries strongly entrenched, he lay, never making an effort to prevent the enemy from swarming around our rear. He not having out at any time one half the number of pickets we had out all the time with our scanty six hundred.

   The Lieutenant in command of the Section was taken to that gap, and instructed that in case of attack he was not to await orders but place his pieces inside

p. 87

that gap, so sure was Leake that this was the vulnerable side.

  Our force was so inadequate that it was not possible to keep ot enough pickets to defend the passages to our camp as should be, so they must needs be placed where most effective.

  The morning of the 29th of September, was rainy and disagreeable. Near half past eleven, as we were preparing dinner, a shot was heard at the picket post north of camp, then three or four shots in quick succession all from our one picket  post, then a few shots from the cane beyond, the bullets whistling through our quarters. Col. Leake hastily belting on his sword, ordered his Adjutant General to have the artillery placed inside the gap, and to open across the cane field, then ran out to where the Nineteenth was in line awaiting orders, and commanded the line himself to "About face! advance to the fence and commence firing!" which was done at once, the regiment having been in line sooner after the first shot had been fired, than these lines could be written.

  Our regiment fired the first volley at the advancing line of the enemy, causing them to waver for a moment, they again came on. Col. Leake leaving us at the fence, hastened back to the 26th Indiana, and placed them at a fence on our left, but a few rods in advance of our line, ordering them to fire obliquely to the right, then having the infantry posted and at work, our commander hurried to see if the artillery was posted, when to his utter consternation he met the men dragging the pieces into the yard behind the house where the smokehouse and other outbuildings so obstructed the range that to use them was impossible;

p. 88

so all the available force was only four hundred and fifty infantry, the remainder being on picker.

  From the useless cannon, Col. Leake turned his attention to the place he had left us fighting, but to find that we had been driven back from the fence and were so much broken that he ordered us to fall back behind the levee, where we reformed fronting east, being at a right angle with our former line. The right of the 26th also swung around to the levee, so we had a very good breastwork.

  Discovering an attempt to flank us, the 26th was moved behind us and took a position on our right, which the rebels seeing through teh gap in the levee, they changed at once and endeavored to flank our left. Col. Leake had tried to regain our lost ground by two hotly contested advances, but both and been driven back with loss. When the rebels saw our change of front and made there change, it left the immediate front of our regiment open, and an effort was made to advance once more, hoping to cut through the cane and gain the woods, but the men were so fatigued, it was impossible, and as the rebels from their new base opened upon us, a column of cavalry was seen galloping toward us; they were dressed in blue, and to the anxious inquiry of many, the Adjutant General assured us they were our own cavalry, and knowing our battalion was on that road, the squadron was allowed to approach till their rifles could be seen lying across the pommel of their saddles, then they received a volley that brought many down, but the affair was over, and by twos and threes we were picked up. Col. Leake surrendered merely himself, not his command

p. 89

  Gen. Green himself, riding up to Leake asked "Why don't you stop this firing?"-- the men, many of them from fence corners and odd places of concealment continuing to fire till their guns were wrenched from their hands.

  It seems to be the impression that we were surprised! far from it' for to be surprised is to be taken off your guard, when u prepared and unexpected. It means a want of vigilance and fore-sight; it means that duty has been neglected in some particular, and in none of these things were we surprised.

  Our pickets first saw the advancing skirmish line of the enemy; our pickets fired the first shots, and the rebels had only replied by a few shots, when the 19th was in line; and our regiment delivered the first volley of the fight. j

  Then we were not surprised in the attack, but there was that to surprise in the defense, that four hundred and fifty men should hold at bay over five thousand for two hours and ten minutes by the watch, was surprising.  To learn afterward that the killed and wounded of the rebels were equal to our whole number engaged, was surprising, and one thing I cannot forbear mentioning, is, that Col. Leake being shot from his horse when as near the rebel line as his own, although  he had seen the overwhelmingly superior force of the enemy, yet retained h is command, his wound bleeding prfusely, his Adjutant General inefficient, and his positive orders disobeyed by the artillery.

  Our officers have all that were engaged, declared repeatedly, that the more they thought of it, the more they were satisfied that everything was done that

p. 90

could have been done with our force and position and nothing done that should not have been done.

  Major Bruce had been ordered to New Orleans and Capt. Wm. Adams of Co. "E" was in command of or regiment.

  The night previous to the engagement, Gen. Herron had left for the north, having turned over the comand to Major Gen. Dana.

    Gen Vandever had gone to New Orleans. 

    Gen. Herron, in giving over his command to Gen. Dana, said of us, that we were "strongly and securely possed,"(sic) and Gen. Dana therefore should not bear the blame of our capture, if any blame attaches to it. The rebels knew our exact force, and would they have crossed the Atchafalaya with eight thousand men, cavalry and batteries, on a small steam ferry, only to capture five hundred infantry. If there was no positive knowledge on the subject we would yet infer that they had some other object, and it was to attack the division, but our stubborn resistance delayed them till they knew the division was prepared for them, and Gen. Green was heard to order his Adjutant General to order the troops back at once, for they must recross the Atchafalaya that night, for it was too late to go further.

  Our cavalry had escaped, and rode down the rear of the rebel lines, in plain view of the enemy, who supposed them a part of their own cavalry. By a charge no more daring than that of Major Boone, the rebel line would have been broken and our rescue affected.

  Col. Harrison of the rebels, said he had directed the attention of five sharp-shooters successively to Col.

p. 91

Leake, and after seeing their fire ineffectual, had himself drawn his never failing weapon, bnut at the last moment refrained from firing, he knew not why.

  The universal feeling of the rebs was that of chagrin at so hard a fight and so few prisoners.

  I append the following copied from the "Galveston News," Oct. 20th, 1863, which of course gives the advantage of position to us.

  "BATTLE OF FORDOCHE," --"We have been furnished, through a private letter witht eh following account of the battle on the Fordoch: According ot the plans, Lieut. Col. Jas. E. Harrison, commanding Speight's Brigade, was to bring on the engagement with the enemy's main position, four miles in the rear of their cavalry. Col. Grey was to hold Col. Mouton's Brigade two miles above in the direction of Morganzia to meet any reinforcement sent to the enemy from that direction. While one batallion (sic)was to follow Harrison in supporting distance. Harrison was conducted by a guide who gave but little idea of the country.

 "He attacked their rear about half past 11 o'clock on the 29th of September. His position was almost as strong as though it had been made for the purposes. He was covered on every side by ditches, embankments, fences and levees with a large sugar mill on his rear, in addition to a large ditch and fence, inside of all this there was large negro quarters in regular streets. His force consisted of two regiments and a battalion, in force much stronger than Speight's Brigade, the latter in advancing on him had to pass through a cane field covered with vines which while it afforded no shelter, embarrassed our troops very much. This advance was made under a galling fire

p. 92

from his entire force covered. He was driven frm tyhe sugar mill and first ditches to the first row of negro houses where he contested every inch of ground. Harrison made him change front by flanking him, forcing him from street to street till he was forced over the levee when he had to change his front, face by the rear; here he fought desperately using two pieces of artillery with great effect.

  "Harrison ordered one of the pieces to be taken which was captured and retained during the action. The enemy now attempted to flank him by a movement on his left by marching rapidly behind a high levee. This attempt was discovered through a gap or break in the levee. Our men were now inside, the enemy outside behind the levee which was his former front. While he was attempting to accomplish this, Harrison flanked him with his right, and with a division held his flanking column back where his left gave way, retreating across an old field covered with high weeds. At this moment, Major Boone commanding Waller's Battalion cavalry came up with a gallant charge on his right flank, and completed the route. The supporting force never reached Harrison, and the officers and men fought gallantly, men could not have done better. Adjutant Jones and john Harrison (a son of the Col.) distinguished themselves.

  "Major Daniels was wounded, and acted in the most gallant manner. Colonel had two horses shot from under him, and his sword and blanket round his shoulder cut. We lost twenty-seven killed and eighty wounded; and captured of the enemy four hundred and thirty-two privates and non-commissioned officers, and twenty-nine commissioned officers. The forego-

p. 93

ing is an accurate but short account of the engagement which lasted about one hour. General Green in the general plan took the road direct in order to attack the cavalry and any force at the bridge, four miles below the battlefield. There were only two hundred men there, and he soon drove them off, and hearing the fight above, ordered Major Boone to rush to the assistance of the troops engaged, and "charge the enemy if ten thousand strong."

  "Boone did it nobly, only a few shots were fired by the enemy, two of which took effect on him, shattering his shoulder and arm, the latter has been taken off at the joint int eh shoulder, the other hand has only two fingers on it. He is still alive, and it is sincerely hoped that he may recover. Col. Harrison and Major Boone are especially notcied by Gen. Taylor for their conduct in his report to Headquarters, I have been informed."

  A detail, under Capt. Joran, buried teh rebel dead, over fifty, and a paper i nAlexandria gave the wounded over two hundred

  To speak of deeds of individual bravery, is impossible where all did so nobly.

  The following is a list of our killed and wounded, many of teh latter have since died. Also a list of those captured.

KILLED Co. B  - Serg't Henry E. Frisbee

Col. H - 1st Lieut. Silas Kent.
Co. K - 2nd Lieut. John M. Roberts
Co. C - Serg't John C. Ritchie
Co. C - Private Samuel P. Beard
Co. C - Corp. George Temple

p. 94

Co. K - Private Thos. J . Smith
Co. H - Corp. Wm. C. Anderson
Co. D - Corp.  Brooks
Co. C - Mark Walworth


Co. C. - Corp. Robert McGlasgow, right thigh - severely
Co. K - Private Joel Starkey, right thigh - since died
Co. A. - Private James Coleman, right thigh - since died
Co. D. - Private Daniel Walkup, left ankle
Co. D - Private Jonathan Carson, left thigh
Co. E. - Private Thos. C. Chambers, left arm and breast.
Co. G - Private James Allen, right thigh
Co. G - Private Wm. Hinkle, left shoulder
Co. E - Private Wm. Lyons, left thigh
Co. B - Corp. Isaac Rumor, left hand
Co. K - Private E. Stewart, left foot - since died
Co. G - Capt. Andrew Taylor, left hip - since died
Co. G - Private John F. Mann, arm and head.
Co. G - Serg't. J. F. Robinson, mouth
Co. C -Private Wm. W. Kendall, neck
Co. F - Corp. C. E. Carpenter, scalp
Co. H - Private A. Ninehelser, hand
Co. B - 1st Lieut, John M. Woods, head
Co. D - 2nd Lieut. Thos. A. Robb, left leg
Co. G - Serg't Geo. Hardwick, right shoulder
Co. A - Serg't J. Henry Schroeder, hip
Co. C - Private Wilbur D. Sherman, left arm
Co. C - Private John M. Lytle, arm

p. 95


Co. A - Capt. Thos. L. Sprott
Co. A - Capt. Norvill Powell
Co. B - Lieut. John M. Woods
Co. C - Lieut. Geo. Johnson
Co. C - Lieut. James Bennett, Q. R. M.
Co. D - Thos A. Robb
Co. E - Capt. Wm. Adams
Co. F - Capt. Levi Fisher
Co. F - Lieut. Solomon P. Key
Co. G - Lieut. B. F. Wright
Co. K - Capt. S.F. Roderick
Co. K - Serg't Major Oscar G. Burch
Co. K - Com. Serg't Danl H. Roderick, Escaped March, 1864
Fife Major James Payne
Co. A - Serg't J. Henry Schroeder
Co. A - Corp. David G. Anderson
Co. A - Corp. Isaac N. Clark
Co. A - Corp Jasper K. Mason
Co A - Priv. Howell G. Adell
Co. A - Priv. Barney Amoss
Co. A - Priiv. Joseph Cooper
Co A - Priv. John M. Gauies
Co. A - Priv. Benj. F. Goodwin, escaped
Co. A - Priv. Geo Hoffman
Co. A - Priv. John Howard
Co. A - Priv. Dan. C. Leming
Co. A - Priv. Geo. A. Marks
Co. A - Priv. Fred A. N. Pearce, left sick at Alexandria and exchanged
Co. A.- Priv. Alex. Quary
Co. A - Priv. David A. Robertson

p. 96

Co. A - Priv. William Stewart
Co. A - Benedict Rumer, escaped
Co. A - Chris Schmidt
Co. A - Priv. Eli Sheets, escaped
Co. A - Priv. Charles W. Towner
Co. A - Priv. Jasper Trimble
Co. A - Priv. Joseph White
Co. B - Serg't John e. Roth
Co. B - Serg't T. A. Stoalberger
Co. B - Corp. Enos Rushton, escaped
Co. B - Corp. D. R. Comagys
Co. B - Corp. John A. Montgomery
Co. B - Priv. Albert J. Allen
Co. B - Priv. Ed. Darling
Co. B - Priv. John Driskill
Co. B - Priv. Manfred Hall
Co. B - Priv. Wm. R. Hendricks
Co. B - Joseph Hudgell
Co. B - J. N. Skinner
Co. B - John M. Towne, escaped

Co. C - Serg't Thos. E. Johnston
Co. C - Corp. L. Stone Hall, escaped
Co. C - Corp. Geo. W. Cosner
Co. C - Corp. Wm McDoell
Co. C - Corp. Levi B. Cocklin, escaped
Co. C - Priv. J. Irvine Dungan
Co. C - Priv. Luke W. Osborn
Co. C - Priv. Jas. Sturges Anderson
Co. C - Priv. H. Willetts Anderson, escaped. Co. C - Priv. S. T. Easter
Co. C.- Priv. E. B. Helwick
Co. C - Priv Wm. Lytle
Co. C - Priv. John M. Lytle

p. 97

Co. C - Priv. Charles McDonald
Co. C - Priv. A. MCampbell
Co. C - Priv. Wm. McGreger
Co. C - Priv. John M. Porter
Co. C - Priv. Robt J. Moore
Co. C - Priv Wm. J. Lewis
Co. C - Priv. Addison P. Randall
Co. C - Priv. W. D. Sherman
Co. C - Priv. Abraham Snyder
Co. C - Israel Trostle
Co. C - James Van Winkle
Co. C - John N. Young
Co. C - Abner B. Power
Co. C - Chas. H. Nichols

Co. D - Serg't Danl. Buckingham
Co. D - Serg't James Barnes
Co. D - Corp. John H. Lagle
Co. D - Corp. Perry Harrison
Co. D - Priv.Miles Burris
Co. D - Priv. C. B. Campbell
Co. D - Priv. Jonathan Elder
Co. D - Priv. Willard Flenor
Co. D - Priv. Flavius Remine
Co. D - Priv. John Locke
Co. D - Priv. McKinney Robinson
Co. D - Priv. Nelson E. Hall
Co. D - Priv. John Huddlestone
Co. D - Priv. Adam Stump

Co. E - Serg't Geo. W. Hardwick, wounded and left at Alexandriia for exchange
Co. E - Corp. J. B. Knight
Co. E - Priv. Sylvester Dye
Co. E.  Priv. James Deighton

p. 98

Co. E - Priv. Wm. T. Gray
Co. E - Priv. Eli Hampton, left sick at Alexandria and exchanged
Co. E - Priv. Alam Hampton
Co. E - Priv. James Hougland
Co. E - Priv. J. J. Marsell, died at Shreveport, La, Dec. 24th 1863
Co. E - Priv. Abraham Morgan
Co. E - Priv. Gideon Miller
Co. E - Priv. Fieldon Taylor
Co. E - Corp. Geo A. Vise
Co. E - Corp. Lewis Walter
Co. E - Priv. John Wallis
Co. E - Priv. Nelson Mallett
Co. E - Priv.  Abner S. Smalley
Co. E - Priv. Ross Crossley
Co. F - Serg't Wm. H. Friend
Co. F - Serg't J. P. McDaniels
Co. F - Corp. Edward H. Thomas
Co. F - Corp. H. B. Davidson
Co. F - Corp. David Gable
Co. F - Corp. Wm. Herron
Co. F - Priv. Milton Gamble
Co. F - Priv. Geo. B. Dotson
Co. F - Priv. John H. Hager, died at Shreveport, La. Jan. 20th 1864
Co. F - Priv. David P. Herron
Co. F - Priv. Jacob Heindel
Co. F - Priv. Danl. McKay
Co. F - Priv. A. Morris
Co. F - Priv. Leonard Rathfon
Co. F - Priv. Joseph Racer

p. 99

Co. F - Priv. I. S. Siverly
Co. F - Priv. J. R. Shipman
Co. F - Priv. Danl. Sowash
Co. G - Serg't Geo. W. Woolwine
Co. G - Serg't Ogilvie Donaldson
Co. G - Corp. David Hasher
Co. G - Priv. Wm. Campbell
Co. G - Priv. Reuben Cocklin
Co. G - Priv. Geo. W. Cunningham
Co. G - Priv. J. W. Clermont
Co. G - Priv. W. H. Dowell
Co. G - Priv. G. S. Ervin
Co. G - Priv. John J. Fryer
Co. G - Priv. Wm. Hoffman
Co. G - Priv. Joe Ross
Co. G - Priv. Philip Richley
Co. G - Priv. Samuel Taylor
Co. G - Priv. Saml. Turkington
Co. G - Priv. J. C. Wilson
Co. G - Priv. James Milton
Co. G - Priv. Sanford Pugh
Co. G - Priv. Wm. Pugh
Co. G - Priv. Geo. Tucker
Co. H - Serg't Wm. Byers, escaped March 1864
Co. H - Serg't A. J. Smith
Co. H - Serg't Wm. H. Clayton
Co. H - Corp. J. T. Dougherty, escaped March 1864
Co. H - Corp. J. F. King
Co. H - Corp. Wm. H. Smith
Co. H - Corp. Chris Mort
Co. H - Priv. James C. Akers

p. 100

Co. H - Priv. S. Botkin, escaped March, 1864
Co. H - Priv. Z. C. Dean
Co. H - Priv. Isaac D. Evans
Co. H - Priv. Omar Hoskins, escaped Dec., 63
Co. H - Priv. Wm. C. Holmes
Co. H - Priv. Henry Jones
Co. H - Priv Andrew Jones
Co. H - Priv. Silas Langford
Co. H - Priv. J. H. Lannam
Co. H - Priv Joseph Mort.
Co. H - Priv. J. G. McIntosh
Co. H - Priv. J. Nixon, escaped March, 1864
Co. H - Priv R. H. Parsons
Co. H - Priv. J.F. Paxton, escaped March, 1864
Co. H - Priv. David Smith
Co. H - Priv. Ed. P. Taylor, escaped March 1864
Co. H - Priv. Thos. Umphrey

Co. I - Serg't John S. Ragsdale, escaped March 1864 Co. I - Serg't Datna D. Proper
Co. I - Corp. Wm. Orr
Co. I - Corp. Wm. Bragg
Co. I - Corp. Geo. W. Meredith
Co. I - Priv. John T. Barker
Co. I - Priv. David Barker
Co. I - Priv. David K. Calhoun
Co. I - Priv. Wm. N. Holiday
Co. I - Priv. Oliver Johnson
Co. I - Priv.  George Klise
Co. I - Priv. Jas M. Miller
Co. I - Priv. Jesse Meredith
Co. I - Priv. John Newlon
Co. I - Priv. John Roth
Co. I - Priv. Israel Row

p. 101

Co. I - Priv. Wm Spraker
Co. I - Priv. George Stevens
Co. I - Priv. John H. Webber
Co. I - Priv. Rufus Collins

Co. K - Serg't Noble E. Dawson, escaped March 1864
Co. K - Corp. P. H. Grant, escaped March 1864
Co. K - Corp. John Terrill, escaped March , 1864
Co. K - Corp. Thos. N. Pritchard
Co. K - Priv. John L. Burditt
Co. K - Priv. David Davis
Co. K - Priv. Samuel Evans
Co. K - Priv. L. McBarnes
Co. K - Priv. John Wood
Co. K - Priv. Harrison Wood
Co. K - Priv. John W. French
Co. K - Priv. Jesse Starkey

p. 102



  After our capture, we marched back through the rain and mud to the ferry boat, and about dark crossed the river,. On the bank we were huddled together, having had no dinner and no supper, and through the night sat or stood around little rail fires that struggled for existence in this drenching rain that never ceased falling for the next forty-eight hours.

  Sullen over our recent defeat, we had none of the jokes and lightsome talk with which we  usually beguiled the tediousness of sleepless hours. Morning broke upon as weary and dispirited a band as I ever saw, and noon brought us beef and raw meal with no vessels to cook in. From this  place we were marched through the bottoms to Alexandria, passing on the way, parts of Walker's army. The troops used us well, giving us to eat of their own rations.

  For day after day through hot dusty days we marched, having a ride of twenty-one miles that ended at Alexandria, where we were shut up in one room, the Court room. It was about twenty-four by thirty-six feet, and there was a few prisoners already there, so that in that room was fully five hundred men. But we had to stay in it but one night, luckily for us, for the next morning we were started on toward Shreveport, traveling over high rolling, heavily pine timbered country, which afforded views that would have been heartily enjoyed but for the bayonets on either side.

  Corn meal and beef, then beef and corn meal till Natchitoches, where laying over one bright Sabbath

p. 103

day, I eluded the guard, and took a stroll out into the country a few miles, where stopping at a large fine Southern mansion for a drink of water, and telling what I was, I found friends, was entertained by "Star Spangled Banner," and other pieces by a loyal daughter of Dixie, and had a lunch of most appetizing pie and cake washed down by generous wine of their own manufacture.

  At Mansfield, a Union planter brought in and gave us sweet potatoes, for the whole command.

  At Shreveport we were placed on a side of a hill, overlooking town and had nothing to eat for twenty hours after getting there and we had made a day's march before reaching there.

  Hucksters from the town swarmed around with baker's bread, cakes, pies and apples, and hungry men would strip themselves of every available article to get a few mouthfuls. Knives, combs, gold pens and greenbacks all were bartered for edibles

  Here we had hoped we would be paroled; but we were turned toward Texas, and the middle of October we were at Tyler, in a pen on the hill side with the great pine woods around us, and no shelter or means of making one over us.

  Lying out long cold nights, thinking of home, rain falling upon us frequently, these things begat thoughts of escape and many let their thoughts mature into plans and executed their plans.

  From Sterling farm on the long hot march, Colonel Leake  had walked in front of our prisoner column with a severe wound too, and had the fare of the least of his brave band, nor was it from necessity either, for we were with but few officers of the guard who would

p. 104

not have shown so much courtesy toward a disabled prisoner, especially a commanding officer. Many of the wounded men were favored by kind hearted guards; but he seemed to choose to suffer the privations, common to all.

  Very many times on the march by his influence, we stopped to rest when the cavalry guards seemed oblivious of the difference between the endurance of a man and a horse. Not a man of us but remembers with gratitude the care he took of us, his watchfulness of our comfort, both on the march and in camp.

  On the march, he, many times by a few words to the officer in charge gained for us a rest, or a stop at some spring long enough to slake our thirst, and even shortening the length of the our day's journey sometimes by his earnest representations of the fatigue of his men.

  At Tyler a spring of water, c clear and good, supplied us abundantly. With difficulty, a few axes were obtained; but many burrowed in the earth with the tarantulas, centipedes, and scorpions. One of the 26th Indiana was bitten by a tarantula and died in a few hours. Here the regiment lay till winter winds blew chill, and cold frosty nights pinched and bit them when orders were received to go to Shreveport for exchange, only the enlisted men.

  The men were in the lightest possible marching order, and were allowed to take with them no kettles or cooking vessels of any kind. The officer in charge of the guard was one Capt. Alford, a young man and cruel. The first day's march ended at Sabine river and a little raw meal was doled out to them, no beef and nothing in which to cook.

p. 105

  Lucky was he who had, or could borrow a tin cup in which to mix his meal, the baking was simple, a ball of wetted meal was dropped into the coals and burnt into bread.

  After supper and breakfast such as this and a nights rest on the wet ground, morning broke on shivering ragged wretches disclosing the cause of shrinking flesh and chattering teeth, during the night it had frozen hard, and the wet earth was encrusted with a frosty rime, and all the mudhole in the road coated with ice. Over the frozen rough road and through ice-bound streams, those barefooted and half clad five hundred marched, leaving on many a spot of Texan soil drops of blood from bruised and swollen feet. The sun at midday thawing it out only enough to make a cold slush, then toward night freezing again.

  The brutal Alford ordered his men to ride through all streams above us that the water might be muddy for us to drink. What could sustain men, but the hope of exchange at such a time as this. Shreveport was reached, and the men were told that "in a few days" they would start for our lines. The "few days" passed, and through the winter the promise was renewed frequently of leaving in a few days.

  The prisoners here, had the liberty of building huts and from the surrounding woods trees were cut and logs carried, that grew under w3illing hands into comfortable little houses, backwoods style. The chimnies (sic), however, were not successful, and in dark huts full of smoke, sore eyes made their appearance. Once here the Confederate authorities through the intercession of one Col. Tchiod, opened their hears and store rooms, and issued shoes to a few of the men.  From

p. 106

this camp, which was ten miles below Shreveport, many made their escape, some of whom relate their story in the ensuing pages.

  The latter part of March came exciting reports of an advance, and at length the prisoners were suddenly hurried away on the well known road to Tyler. At Greenwood, the first night's stopping place, the regiment was rejoined by some runaways who had been lying in the Shreveport jail, myself among the number. Again, Alford was the officer in command, and the men felt there was no hope but in their power to endure.

  At Greenwood two of Company "B," Enos Rushton and John Towne dug a hole at night while others slept, crawled into it, and were covered over with sticks and earth by their comrades, who left them an air hole, and heaped brush over the spot so no guard would ride upon it. In the morning after our camp had been deserted by the last lingering guard, they rose out of their hiding place, and struck out for "Yankee lines," frightening a native, however, by rising out of the bowels of the earth, two spectral gaunt Yankees. They met Banks' advancing column, far down Red river, and participated in that disastrous campaign.

  Our guard was mounted, and had only only one wagon in which were their cooking utensils and a few day's rations, not any transportation for the sick or those who might give out. With brutal threats and bows with gun and saber the lagging ones were quickened, and when an old man, gray-haired, fell fainting by the wayside, Alford kicked him, prostrate, and a lariat was tied around his neck and secured to the pommel

p. 107

of the saddle, by which they hastened on the weak old man urging him to a half run when he could keep his feet and dragging him by the neck, when through exhaustion he would sink to the earth. Another, who had been sick, lying down declared his inability to go further. Alford drawing his revolver shot him inflicting a severe, perhaps mortal wound, and annoyed at the the groans of the wounded man, he forced his negro slave to get a rail and beat out his brains. By such means they succeeded in marching several hundred men, many bareheaded, most of them barefooted, over a hundred miles with little to eat and no transportation at all.

  The numerous petty ways practiced to annoy us would require more space to notice than I can give. One, however, showed such refinement of cruelty I cannot refrain from mentioning it.  After a wary march we encamped along a clear pretty brook, which ran the length of our camp, and was not over five or six feet wide. Alford placed a line of guards between us and the water, while hundreds of men, thirsty and foot-sore and hungry, were there seeing the water running before their eyes, yet could get none to drink or mix their meal  or to bathe their blistered feet, Tyler once more!

 After months we return and occupy the same little huts we built the fall previous. "Cast thy bread upon the waters." Our stay this time was not long and a second time we started for exchange, only Col. Leake's "layout."

  Our march this time was not so hard, for Leake gained us many favors. At Marshall we h alt and go into camp, a delay we but partly  understood, by hear

p. 108

ing the booming of cannon in the direction of Mansfield. We lay here several weeks; every few days fresh squads of prisoners passed us on their route to Tyler, just from the fields of Mansfield and the Arkansas.

  Our weary waiting again ended in disappointment, for we were marched back to Tyler, where we found between four and five thousand prisoners, most of them without even huts. Men of every tribe and tongue and nation, from every State in the Union, or out, old and young, and Indians of every tribe, were assembled here; ragged many of them, while many were not blessed with a rag, -- a blanket thrown over their shoulders protected them from the heat of mid-day and the chill dews of the night. There were men literally swarming with body-lice, -- ":graybacks" -- and men sick men lying on their backs in the hot sand under a burning sun, breathing out their live in  all this squalor and misery. Instead of the last kind word or prayers, fell on his ear curses and rough jests. Idiocy, and as heart-sickening as any thing, was the passive indifference with which these things came to be regarded. Men standing by laughed at some drivelling (sic) wretch praying for something to eat. When one was sick the stomach refused the coarse corn dodger, and in this way come starvation, -- not to the strong men who could have endured scanty fare, but to those who were sick and weak, -- to those who would like near the sinks day and night, their clothes stiffening with their own filth, maggots and lice crawling over them till they died.

  And at the gate of our pen lay a pile of rough pine coffins, constantly diminishing, constantly replenished,

p. 109

while on an opposite slope, each day fresh mounds were made.

  The pen for the hounds was in sight of the stockade, and many times we have seen the pack take the scent of some of our number, and rarely fail to bring them back. 

  One morning near our breakfast hour, we were aroused by a great outcry from a crowd assembled near the centre of the stockade, and repairing to the spot , beheld a sight that rises before my mind's eye every time I hear the word "pardon" or Jeff Davis. A negro woman is being whipped, -- a young, likely woman, standing on the opposite side-hill, in plain sight, with clothes held high up, exposing her body from her shoulders downward, is writhing and shrieking under the cruel strokes of the whip in the hands of a young man near her age. s stroke after stroke falls upon the quivering flesh, we could hear the sharp blow of the whip and see it curl around her back, hips and legs, and each moment seemed to add to the burning anger of the northern men, compelled to look on, as much as to the agony of the helpless victim; and the maledictions of our crowd upon the hill, were hurled at the brute in human form, and were heard too. Besides our five thousand, there were scores of southern chivalry lounging around enjoying both the suffering of the woman and the discomfiture of the Yankees.

  Again we are paroled, and bid the stockade one more farewell, enjoining upon those to whom we gave our hut, to give it back to us if we returned. The officers in charge of us gave the sole control of the  marching into the hands of Col. Leake, and he regu

p. 110

lated our time so that we made as short marches as possible, and with the least possible fatigue, letting us stop to drink or rest as often as necessary. Yet with all his care and kindness the march was a hard one, for it was July, and the hot dust and pebbles blistered our shoeless feet, while hickory leaves bound round our heads served as hats to those of us without.

  Shreveport again and aboard the boats, we begin to feel that we may reach our lines.

  Slowly we steamed down the Red River, sitting on the lower deck, listening to the plashing of wheels that were impelling us nearer to friends and life again, and watching  the great unwieldy looking alligators lying along the slimy banks.

  At Alexandria we debarked above the Falls and camped opposite the Dam that Gen. Joseph Bailey made, and that made Gen. Joseph Bailey. The next day we walked around the Falls and took other steamboats at the Alexandria wharf.

  The last hungry hours of prison life drew to a close, and the morning of the 22nd of July , 1864, we floated out upon the broad Mississippi, and beheld once more our beloved Banner and knew we were yet alive.

  The last hungry hours of prison life drew to a close and the morning of the 22nd of July, 1864, we floated out upon the broad Mississippi, and beheld once more our beloved Banner and knew we were yet alive.

  The Commissioner of Exchange, Col. Dwight, came along side of our boat in a yawl, and scores of men rushed to the side eager to but touch the old Flag.  The prisoners for whom we were exchanged, were well clothed and in good flesh and spirits, most of them having valises or knapsacks full of surplus clothing, and all their officers had their trunks and brandy flasks, both well filled.

  On board the great "Nebraska" with roomy decks and the best of accommodations for soldiers we had


again Hard Tack and coffee. The change was greater than ever before i experienced.

  The morning of the 24th, we were marched into the city of New Orleans in all our rags and dirt. We were reviewed by Gen. Canby, who gave us words of cheer, and seemed to think we would get to go home. I append an article taken from a New Orleans paper of the 25th inst.

  ARRIVAL OF PRISONERS--REBEL CRUELTIES--CONDITION OF THE PRISONERS-- Yesterday, at about the hour when Sabbath bells were ringing, and good people preparing for worship, our citizens were astonished by the apparitions of a regiment, the like of which certainly never marched through the streets of any christian city.  Hatless and shoeless, without shirts and even garments that decentcy forbids us to name, they were greeted with a murmur of indignation almost universal. The shreds of butternut colored clothing htat fluttered from their attenuated forms deceived us all. We believed them rebels held as prisoners in our hands, and universal execrations was hurled upon the authorities for what ws deemed their inhumanity to helpless prisoners,. But we soon discovered our mistake, they were Union men taken by the rebels in battle,  held many months in captivity and now returned to us for the sleek well fed rebel soldiers that we gave up last week.

  Decency forbids us to describe the utter nudity of these men, officers and soldiers.

  Many of them had not rags to be ragged with, and as their bare feet pressed the sharp stones, the blood marked their tracks. Animated skeletons marching through the streets of New Orleans.

p. 112

  They had just arrived from Red River in numbers nearly a thousand, comprising prisoners from many battle-fields, many of them twelve to eighteen months in captivity. Their story is soon told, they are one installment from the great prison pen near Tyler, Texas, where from four to six thousand are gathered within a stockade fort at t he rate of about a thousand to an acre of land. We will not sicken the reader with a recital of the disgusting  history of this camp. Its foetid (sic) atmosphere, its accumulated filth, its terrible destitution. They can be imagined, we have no wish to recite them.

  Although gathered from various commands, we believe that a majority of them belong to the States of Iowa and Indiana. The 19th Iowa and 26th Indiana are well represented. Thomas Moorehead, Co. "I," 26th Indiana, was cruelly and wantonly murdered by one of the guards named Frank Smith, while ten paces inside the guard lines.

  Four times have the Iowa and Indiana troops marched the one hundred and ten miles from Shreveport to Tyler for exchange, their bare feet being cut with the frozen earth of last November.

   At Camp Ford they have built huts from brushwood with which to shelter themselves. This work was one of slow progress, from the want and the inability to get beyond the guard lines into the woods for material.

   Whenever any of these prisoners escaped they were hunted with bloodhounds and, in nearly every case, recaptured. On the 24th of March Col. Rose ad all the Indiana officers escaped by digging under the stockade, but after nights of weary marching were re-

p. 113

captured by the aid of dogs and brought back. Lieut. Collins of the number escaped again. Lieut. Col. Border, commanding the camp, rebuked teh guard for bringing him back, and posted an order to all guards recapturing an escaped prisoner to shoot or hang him on the spot.

  These mane were marched to Shreveport under the guard of Lieut. Hays, commanding the band of conscripts. So cruel were these men that when the footsore prisoners gave out by the road side, they put a lariat around their necks and tied it to their saddles-- a refinement of cruelty.

  Many officers remaining are in irons, and all are suffering for food, medicine and clothing. The rations served out each to them are a few ounces of beef, Indian meal and salt, no wonder they die like sheep. A small quantity of quinine, blue-mass and calomel, constitute the entire pharmacopoeia of the camp.

  We have not time to relate a third of the cruelties related to us. But there is one thing of such frightful enormity that we should fail to do our duty if we did not call the attention of the Government to it. Two hundred of these prisoners have been vaccinated for the prevention of small-pox with virus tainted with the foul leprosy of sin, and are now impregnated with this loathsome disease.

Immediately upon the arrival of these prisoners the representatives of the Western Branch of the Sanitary Commission, with agents of Iowa and Indiana, addressed themselves busily to the work of ameliorating their condition. Before night they will be clad and their immediate wants cared for.

p. 114

  Col. Kimball by direction of Gov. Morton of Indiana, made four distinct attempts to send relief to this camp without success. Kirby Smith has now expressed his willingness to permit them to be supplied, and the agents of the different States and the Sanitary Commission will immediately ship a liberal supply of necessaries, together with stores for the sick and a supply of healthy virus for vaccine purposes.--New Orleans Delta, July 25th 1864.

  The Quartermaster at once issued us clothing and we had good food. A handsome sword was presented to Col. Leake by the men of hte 19th Iowa and 26th Indiana. The presentation was made in a few well chosen words by Oscar G. Burch, Sergeant Major of the 19th, and an eloquent and touching address made by the Colonel, who had fought at our head and endured with us the rigors of a long imprisonment, and who by his personal interest and influence had mitigated not a little the hardships of our lot. He had won and still retains the unbounded confidence and love of every man in his command.

  The part of the regiment not captured, together with the recruits, arrived after we had been in the city some days, and we, the exchanged men rejoined the others who were in camp on the shell road. Colonel Bruce addressed us in a happy speech, and once more we were a whole regiment.

p. 115


  Friday, October 23r, orders came to move on board transports, it was raining and continued to do so until we got on board, even then not stopping. By one o'clock our regiment was on board the gulf steamer "Gen. Banks." but we lay there till 6 P.M., of the following day, when we ran down past New Orleans, The Quarantine, Fort Jackson, and other places of note and anchored at the "Balize", the weather was quite cold, and the boys thought the "Sunny South" had played out.  On the "Gen Banks" were also two companies of the 15th Maine volunteers, and I find in this journal these words applied to them "quarrelsome, thieving and mean, pale and sickly looking." 

  Many vessels pass us, some going up and some going down. In our expedition were twenty-four vessels. The evening of the 25th, the flag ship "McLellan" came down and was received with the firing of a salute and rockets. Generals Banks and Dana were aboard. The next morning all the fleet being present, we steamed off down the S.W. Pass, taking up a pilot at "Pilottown", and were soon outside the bar where our boat and a few others getting ahead, anchored, waiting that the others might join us. At 3 P.M., we weighed anchor and stood out to sea before a stiff breeze. The sea was quite rough, and this being their first experience on the vasty (sic) deep, many of the men were soon in a retched condition, and seemed anxious to have a general "casting up" of accounts. One man describing his sea-sickness, said: "for a

p. 116

while I felt sick, I feared I should die, then I got so sick I was afraid I would not die."

  Through the night it was rough, and the morning was gladly hailed by all. A heavy sea pitched the vessel about, and many "longed for the flesh pots of Egypt" in the shape of a footing on terra firma. The passage continued rough, but the 30th after a clear sunrise, the wind sprung up and blew a perfect gale from the north. We could not see a hundred yards distant, the sea was lashed into such a mist. The wind was so furious and the waves rolled so high that fears were entertained for the safety of the ship, and we were obliged finally, to throw overboard some caisons (sic)), mules and horses, and a signal of distress was kept flying all day to which no attention was paid.

  The sea carried away the kitchen, and the night was cold and dark and we were hungry. The next morning the sea rose again and it was only by the steady use of a steam and two hand pumps that she could be kept afloat. The men in the midst of danger remained calm and quiet. Toward evening two Sharks crossed our bows, and the sailors at once predicted a death on board, during the night sometime one of the 15th Maine died. About 6 o'clock, the "Empire City" passed us and seeing our signal of distress came alongside, we told her our condition when she went on and reported to the Flag Ship, then returning she took us in tow. After running a few hours we lay to till the moon rose.

  The morning of November 1st, the sea was still running heavily, yet we rode much steadier than before we were lashed to the"Empire City." About noon we took an observation and found we were sixty

p. 117

miles north-east of our desired port. About 3 P.M., we hove in sight of the low flat islands that line the coast of Texas.

  The gunboat "Virginia" started in chase of a suspicious looking craft to the south, and crowding all sail and putting on all steam, soon overtook and brought her to our anchorage, near the mouth of the Rio Grande, but the "Leviathan" brought orders to us, and the following day having received some coal from the "Empire City" we steamed up to Brazos Santiago where we landed.

  The 19th was the first regiment to land and form in line, at once being sent to "the front", four miles out to Boche Chico, where Major Bruce addressed the regiment in a few words of gratitude to a protecting Power that had brought them through the perils of the deep, and requested all who would give God the praise to unite with him in singing "Praise God from whom all blessing flow," and those simple words were seldom sung with more feeling and fervor than then.

  From this island we can see in one direction, Point Isabel, where Gen. Taylor landed troops during the Mexican war and in the other a large fleet of French and English vessels riding at anchor..

  Brazos Santiago is a sand-bar with no vegetable life and nothing good about it, if I except the breeze.

  The 31st we were mustered and the rolls headed "mustered for pay four days out of sight of land on the Gulf of Mexico."

  On the 3d and 4th water was so scarce that many suffered much from thirst. The 4th, crossing the channel, we camped in the chaparral--a scrubby, dense thorny kind of brush--opposite Bagdad. The succee

p. 118

ding day the regiment moved on to the last point between Point Isabel and Brownsville, at which water can be procured; that was about nine miles from Brownsville.

  On the 6th of November, Brownsville was reached and some large warehouses taken for quarters. Here, we were as far away from home as we could get and stay in the United States. Just across the river was the city of Matamoras, in Mexico. We were on the very outskirts of Uncle Sam's wide-spread domain.

  Brownsville contains a population of seven or eight thousand, and many fine buildings both public and private, and five or six churches of different denominations. Many of the people are Mexicans, who though very wealthy are a miserable looking set. Vegetables and meat are plenty and cheap as are also salt and fresh water fish.

  The Spanish ladies justify fully the descriptions given in novels, --all that charming grace is theirs. Most of the ladies war the Serape--a sort of scarf over the head and shoulders.

  Every evening the brass band discoursed sweet music, and the natives of every age, sex, shade of color, condition and dress, assembled to hear it.

  Here ,even in mid-winter everything is in bloom, and the weather warm and pleasant. The prickly pear is abundant, and is a most delicious fruit. The cactus grows to the height of eighteen to twenty feet, and has leaves large as a washboard.

  There is no large timber near Brownsville; all the growth being chaparral, a dwarfed species of oak, that grew so rank it was impossible to force a way through it in many places.

p. 119

  The men frequently went over the river into Mexico, armed with a pass and some silver, as greenbacks or any paper money would not circulate.

  The objects of interesr in Matamoras were many to an American. The Mexican people are anamalous (sic), they are a human paradox, for they are squalid, untidy, quarrelsome and thievish, yet they love music and perform well on various instruments, and are fond of paintings, exhibiting a degree of artistic skill in many of their productions, that was wholly unlooked for to those who had seen none but the "Mexican abroad."  Their love for painting, music and ceremony leads them to embrace the Roman Catholic faith, and Matamoras has as fine a cathedral as is in the south, and well attended. Their dress is varied and fantastic, --they love gaud and glitter.

  I find recorded in a journal the following:

   "Gens. Ord and Herron, on visiting Matamoras today, (Feb. 11th 1864) were met with great eclat, receiving a salute of thirty guns and two hundred bottles of champagne."

  The live here was sometimes tiresome, not receiving mail for a month, and duty was very heavy, a chain guard being around the entire place. At one time two cannons were found in the river and taken up--a man diving and tying a rope around them

  While here at different times recruits joined the regiment, some of whom had been recruited just after the Prairie Grove battle, and had spent eh intervening months lying at some camp of instruction (?).

  Lieut. Col. Kent was on court martial and other duty most of the time, leaving the command of the regiment devolving upon Major Bruce.

p. 120

  In the early part of March, Lieut. Col. Kent resigned, and Major Bruce was made our lieut. Colonel.

  I give here a list of all the recruits of our regiment, some of whom joined at Forsyth, Mo., some did not join till after this time, but I give it here because the most of them here came to the regiment

Company Rank Name
Co. A Private David A. King
" " Peter E. Landis
" " H. Montgomery
" " J. W. Reeves
" " A. J. Riley
" " Wm. Spain
" " S. M. Stevenson
" " James A. Sage
" " G. A. Southworth
" " C. W. Sackman
" " Samuel Cole
" " Isaac Glassford
" " C. N. Johnson
" " Geo. W. Orr.
" " James ELiner
" " John Keithler
" " Fred. Thompson
Co. B Private H. Byrkitt
" " Geo. P. Baker
" " W. L. Byrkitt
" " C. M> Comagys
" " Thos. Cmapbell
" " W. F. Grasner
" " James Heaton
" " D. H. Lewis
" " Elam Rushton
" " David L. Reynolds


p. 121


Company Rank Name
B Private Thos. Sampson
" " D. A. Shion
" " J. Vanderwort
" " Geo. W. Wood
" " Wm Woodward
C Private John W. Anderson
" " J. L. Winter
" " Joe A. Dawson
" " N. L. Babcock
" " S. B. Houston
" " Geo. D. Knox
" " D. K. Larrimer
" " Wm. C. Porter
" " P. Swartzlander
" " S. W. Taylor
" " R. H. Young
" " Thos. J. Talbott
" " N. Wilkin
" " Joseph Skinner
" " Amos Helwick
D Private E. Pope
" " J. R. Peters
" " M. Thompson
" " A. H. McReynolds
": " J. M. Knowles
" " Wm. A. Black
" " R. B. Kenyon
" " J. Q. Gray
E Corp'l John Bressler
" Private Samuel Bressler
" " J. A> Terrell
" " Silas Geer
" " Elias James

p. 122


Company Rank Name
E Private Benj. Kinnion
" " Wm. R. Kinnion
" " G. A. Liddle
" " Jasper N. Matlock
" " Henry Morgan
" " Wm. A. Thompson
" " Patrick Walch
" " Chas. E. Hahn
" " L. N. Southard
" " H. G. Frazer
" " Levi Williams
" " Harlin West
" " Alonzo Willard
" " Z. Grier
" " J. D. Dodge
" " Jasper M. Hewitt
F " Geo. M. Bell
" " E. H. Hurley
" " Geo. Rathfon
" " A. Linderman
" " Jas. Pontzier
" " Jas. B. Gibbs
" " Jas. Steart
Co. G Corp'l Wm. Walker
" " Geo. Rexwatch
" " Wm. H. Sprague
" " John E. Sprague
" " Ormond Pharson
H " John H. Byers
" Private John Guy
" " D. C. Harris
" " John W. Pearson
" " S. R. Stewart, joined at Forsyth, Mo.

p. 123


Company Rank Name
I Private David Moody
" " Edward Murphy
" " Charles II. Stratton, joined at New Orleans
K Private Jesse Starkey, joined at Forsyth, Mo.
" " Jesse Murphy
" "` Geo. W. Anderson
" " Alfred Bales
" :" A. Huddlestone
" " S. Perkins
" " Wm. Paxton
" " Wm. L. Smith
" " J. G. M. Smith
" " Walter Roberts
" " John Gish
" " R. W. Allsup
" " Wm. Bench
" " Geo. L. Carter
" " Samul. McCoy
" " A. J. Smith

  The last of July the regiment embarked for New Orleans, leaving three companies, viz: "B," "C" and "K" at Brazos Santiago, where they remained till Aug. 16th, when they too come to New Orleans

  The return trip of the regiment to the city was prosperous, and they went into camp on the Shell road.