IAGenWeb Project

Warren County Iowa GenWeb
HOME

US GenWeb

SIMPSON COLLEGE

At the first session of the Western Iowa Methodist conference, August 26, 1860, it was resolved that a MALE & FEMALE SEMINARY be located in Indianola, Iowa. By Articles of incorporation in 1867, the name was changed to SIMPSON CENTENARY COLLEGE in honor of Bishop Matthew Simpson and commemorating the centennial of American Methodism.  The name was changed simply to SIMPSON COLLEGE in 1885.

History of Simpson College from 1935 Diamond Jubilee Zenith

GRADUATES OF SIMPSON COLLEGE 1870-1950

Bishop Simpson
 
Bishop Matthew Simpson 1811-1884
Simpson College campus
SIMPSON COLLEGE CAMPUS 1900
Ladies' Hall & Administration Building
     Chapel
                              Science Hall

Chapel at Simpson College Science Hall at Simpson College
Library at Simpson College Administration Building at Simpson College

Sources:
Beneath Whispering Maples: The History of Simpson College, by Joseph W. Walt, Simpson College Press, Indianola, Iowa, 1995
History of Warren County, Iowa from its Earliest Settlement to 1908, by Rev. W.C. Martin, D.D, Chicago, S.J. Clarke Pub. Co, 1908
Zenith, Simpson College yearbooks, 1896-1944