HISTORY OF WARREN COUNTY IOWA NEWSPAPERS - 1855-1896
Source: Directory of Warren County - 1896
Compiled and published by the Indianola Record
Republican – Visitor – Journal - Herald
1855 - John W. Murphy founded the first newspaper, issuing the first number of The Republican Aug. 24, 1855. Mr. Murphy came from Oskaloosa. The Republican expired 49 weeks later after changing editors three times.
April 1857 - J. H. Knox bought the material of The Republican which had been stored away and launched the Indianola Visitor.
1864 - The Visitor passed from Knox to M. Henry Money, who conducted it for two years, as Warren County Banner
1866 - Mr. Knox bought the paper again and changed it back to Visitor.
1868 - Knox sold out to Geo. E. Griffith. Under his management editor was Al Swalm a short time. Then came Brady as editor, and another change of name to Journal.
1872 - W. H. Schooley bought the concern and soon sold 1/2 interest to A. J. Graham.
1873 - Knox came back and the firm became Graham & Knox.
1874 - Name was changed to Herald.
1800s - Sometime in this period it passed into the hands of Anderson Bros. (owners in 1896)
EAGLE – INDEPENDENT – LEADER – RECORD – REPUBLICAN – PEOPLE’S ADVOCATE
May 1859 - J. R. Sherwood started the Warren Eagle as an independent paper. The journal was short lived.
July 1870 - G. N. Udell launched The Independent.
Sept. 1870 - The Independent sold to a company who changed it to a Republican paper and gave it the name Warren County Leader. The Leader was sold to M. G. Carleton and John A. Everett, who changed it to The Record.
Oct. 1879 - Everett sold out to Jones & Wells, who changed its name to Republican, as well as its politics.
June 1880 - Republican was changed to The People's Advocate by C. B. Lake who had obtained it prior to this date. It was the organ of the Greenbackers.
TRIBUNE – ADVOCATE TRIBUNE
Oct. 1875 - George F. Parker founded The Tribune, It was Democratic in politics.1876 - Parker sold to W. E. Andrews
1877 - Andrews sold to J. E. Clarey
The Advocate and Tribune were consolidated under the ownership of W. H. Schooley. (1896 Schooley was the owner)
TIMES – RECORD – MOTOR – SENTINEL – NEW VIRGINIAN
July 1892 - The Times was started by Mr. Rolland Rolland sold out to S. O. Riggs.
Riggs sold out to O. H. Baker.
Spring 1893 - two young men, C. I. Sparks and Alfred Perrine founded The Record.
Feb. 1896 - Record passed into the hands of Lester W. Haworth and Charles B. Little.
1883 - R. T. Elson founded The Motor at Milo. Later came C. E. Price and C. D. Lyon.
September 1896 - Lyon sold out to J. D. Haworth & Son
September 1896 - E. R. Button Launched The Sentinel at Lacona.
The New Virginian editor was Mr. Shane.