Abstracts from the Ide Union County History, published 1878
There is always a charm in reading of occurrences and events with which we are, or our predecessors, have been associated in any way, whether important or otherwise. Brief mention will often recall incidents connected therewith which had been to many the incomplete chronicles here enrolled may prove interesting in recalling memories and it is hoped that they give to these pages an additional value for future reference.
1846- Prior to the year of 1846, there had been no
settlers within the borders of what now comprises
1847-In 1847, the Mormon settlement increased in
conditions were bettered. The Canfield and Stephens Mill was built in
In 1848 and 1849, the twelve congressional divisions, embracing the present county, were surveyed and mapped by the government.
First Decade, 1850-1860
1850-In the spring,
1851---In 1851, several new families settled in
township, namely, Benjamin Lamb, I.P. Lamb, and Alexander Poe. These with the families who came the previous
year, are the pioneers of
1852---The town of
1853---The first county judge was Norman Nun,
1853. The first settler of
The first marriage license in the county was issued August 13th, to Thomas Nun and Sarah Starr. As the county judge could not write, the license was signed by his mark
Norman X Nun.
The first district court convened at Petersville in the fall of 1853.
Except among the Mormons, Henry Peters was the first white person to die in the county. His death occurred in December 1853.
1854---The county judge in 1854 was David G. Lowe. The second term district court was held in Petersville in the spring of this year.
Ames was the first settler in
Lamb was appointed the first school commissioner of
The first tax list was issued October 7, 1854. “This is to certify that Amos C. Cooper, county treasurer of Union County, Iowa, has received a tax list of all taxes that were assessed and levied in Union County for the year of 1854, and the said Amos C. cooper, county treasurer, is charged with the said tax list, which amount is one hundred and sixty-two dollars ninety-three cents and seven mills.
Signed: David C. Lowe,
James B. Dawson held the office of county judge. The county seat was
The first log house was built in
44, dated July 25, 1855, shows Samuel Riggs was paid nine dollars for
Platte township, which at that time included the present
James Lytle came to the county, locating on a farm west of Creston where he established a stage station and post office later known by the name of Lytles Grove.
15th, the townships of Jones and Dodge were located and
May 20, 1856, Warrant No. 77, issued to David Fife, three dollars for the use of room to hold District court, April term, A.D. 1856.
First Fourth of July celebration at the town of
Reuben Madden of
The first settlers of that date remember that winter as the longest and coldest ever experienced, when nearly all of the deer, which before had been plentiful, perished.
1857---The locating and naming of
much larger territory than the present congressional
was county clerk in 1857. Mr. Buckely
was a son-in-law of Bishop Onderdonk of
Oxen. Taken up by N.O. Deter, living in
1858---Union County Fair Association organized
January 30th. James H. Stark,
one of the first settlers,
went with his family to
February 20th. The county court grants petition of settlers for submission to vote the question of restraining swine and ship from running at late.
Dodge township was organized in 1858.
Judge J.W. McDill was the first superintendent of schools in the county with a salary of seventy-five dollars for the first year.
1859---The first newspaper published in the county was the Afton Eagle, in 1859 by Morris and Ryan. It was democratic in politics.