History of Taylor County, Iowa: from the earliest historic times to 1910 by  Frank E. Crosson. Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910
(transcribed by Linda Kestner: lfkestner3@msn.com)
Page 693
Among the prominent and representative citizens of Clearfield whose activity in business lines is bringing to them a substantial degree of prosperity, is John Anderson, who for about sixteen years has been the proprietor of a successful lumber business, dating his residence in this city since 1893.  He claims Sweden as the place of his nativity, his birth there occurring at Nasum, in the province of Christianstadt, on the 13th of September, 1862, his parents being Anders Thomasson and Bengta Pearson.  He spent the period of his boyhood and youth in his native land and in 1878, when sixteen years of age, came to the new world, locating on a farm in Warren county, Illinois.  His education, which had been begun across the water, was continued in the schools of Illinois and he afterward benefited by a course of study in the Davenport Business College, of Davenport, Iowa, becoming thus well equipped for the practical and responsible duties of business life.
After laying aside his text books Mr. Anderson carried on agricultural pursuits on a farm in Illinois for some time and then became identified with lumber and grain interests, learning the lumber business in Alexis, Illinois.  The year 1893 witnessed his arrival in Clearfield, Iowa, where he bought out J. P Rumble & Son, in an established lumber business in partnership with C. W. Edwards.  He has a large yard and carries an extensive and complete stock of various kinds of lumber and building materials.  He was most successful from the start and during his long connection with business interests in this city he has built up an excellent trade which has already reached extensive proportions and is constantly increasing in volume.  He has carefully studied the demands of the trade and keeps in close touch with the lumber market, so that he has been able to make wise purchases and profitable sales.  His keen business sagacity and good judgment (page 694), too, have been salient characteristics in his present prosperity, and he is numbered among the progressive and successful business men of Grant township.
It was on the 29th of August, 1906, that Mr. Anderson was united in marriage to Miss Belle M. Franklin, who was born and reared in Taylor county.  Her father, W. H. Franklin, was one of the early settlers and a prominent farmer of Grant township.  Unto Mr. and Mrs. Anderson was born one son, Franklin John, who is the life and light of the household.
The parents are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, in which Mr. Anderson is serving as a trustee.  Mr. Anderson is stalwart in his support of the principles of the republican party, and although he has served as a member of the town council, he has never sought nor desired public office as a reward for party fealty.  Upon arriving in Clearfield he purchased the property where they now reside.  He rebuilt and remodeled the dwelling and now owns a modern and attractive home, which is a favorite resort with many friends by reason of its warm-hearted and generous hospitality.  Mr. Anderson is a man of exemplary habits, of strict integrity and true worth of character, and his prosperity has been so honorably won that not even the most envious could grudge him his success.  He also ranks among Clearfield's most public-spirited and loyal citizens, his influence ever being upon the side of progress, reform and advancement.