History of Taylor County, Iowa: from the earliest historic times to 1910 by  Frank E. Crosson. Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910
(transcribed by Linda Kestner: lfkestner3@msn.com)
Page 685
A well developed farm of one hundred and sixty acres, located in Washington township, has been in possession of George R. Brand the past three years, while for two years prior to that time he cultivated this property as a renter.  He is a native of the neighboring state of Illinois, his birth having occurred in McDonough county, January 2, 1853.  His father, A. J. Brand, was a son of George Brand, of Virginia, and the former left his home in the south and made his way to Illinois, where he still resides.  His wife who bore the maiden name of Eveline Russell, was likewise a native of Virginia, and a daughter of Robert Russell of that state.
George R. Brand was trained to habits of industry and perseverance during the period of his boyhood and youth, his time being largely taken up with the duties of the home farm during the summer seasons, while in the winter months he gave his time to the acquirement of an education in the district schools, which (page 686) he attended to his seventeenth year.  However, after putting aside his text-books, he remained on the home farm till he had reached the age of twenty-six years and then started upon an independent business venture by operating rented land in Illinois for two years.  He had heard much concerning the opportunities in Iowa and at the end of that period made his way to Page county, where he rented a farm and operated the same four years.  He then found himself in possession of a sum of money that justified his purchase of property, and accordingly made his way to Atchison county, Missouri, and invested in eighty acres, to which he later added an additional tract of eighty acres.  After a time he disposed of that property to advantage and returning to Taylor county, bought two hundred and eighty acres in Washington township, but he disposed of one hundred and twenty acres of this to his son Samuel and now retains possession of one hundred and sixty acres.  He has made many needed improvements on the place, including a substantial barn and outbuildings to shelter his stock, while he also improved the house and now has a modern and up-to-date country residence, supplied with every convenience to add to the comfort of the family.  While carrying on general farming pursuits, Mr. Brand also raises high grades of stock and through this means has added much to his financial income.
Mr. Brand was married in 1880 to Miss Rose Crabb and by that union four children were born, Samuel, Ezra, Lena and Rose, but the last named is now deceased, while the mother has also departed this life.  Mr. Brand was married again in 1905, his second union being with Dell Stephens, a daughter of F. M. Stephens.  By this marriage there is one daughter, Bessie.
Mr. Brand through his reading keeps in close touch with the current issues of the day but does not take an active part in public affairs.  Devoted to his home and his family, he finds his greatest enjoyment at his own fireside, where his wife and intimate friends know him to be a delightful companion.  Each change he has made in his business life has given him a wider outlook and broader scope for the exercise of his energy, ambition and industry, and his fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres is the visible evidence of the success he has won.