History of Taylor County, Iowa: from the earliest historic times to 1910 by  Frank E. Crosson. Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910
(transcribed by Linda Kestner: lfkestner3@msn.com)
Page 610
David F. Ford may well be classed among the prominent pioneer citizens of Taylor county for since he located here in 1880, he has not only seen the county developed and improved into a rich and thriving section, but he has been an active participant in what has here been accomplished, especially along agricultural lines.  Throughout a long period he lived a very busy and active life but he is now living retired in a beautiful home in Blockton, enjoying in well earned rest the fruits of his former labors.
Mr. Ford was born in Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, December 28, 1845, a son of Amos H. and Margaret (Bastras) Ford, both of whom were born in the Keystone State, the former in Lycoming county.  The latter was a daughter of Judge Bastras, formerly supreme judge of Pennsylvania.  Amos H. Ford was a jeweler by trade and for many years engaged in that business in Pennsylvania.  Later, however, he removed to Ashland county, Ohio, and engaged in farming for a number of years.  He located on an unimproved tract but in due course of time through his own labors made it a highly improved farm.  He spent his remaining years in Ashland county and there passed away in 1854.  His wife survived him many years and departed this life in Bowling Green, Ohio, in 1900 when she had reached an advanced age.
David F. Ford was but a young lad when he accompanied his parents on their removal from Pennsylvania to Ashland county, Ohio, and here he was (page 611) reared and pursued his education in the public schools.  After the Civil war, when her children were grown, his widowed mother removed to Bowling Green, in Wood county, that state.  Mr. Ford is, however, largely a self-educated man, having greatly broadened his knowledge in later years through reading, experience and investigation.  He was but nineteen years of age, when in 1864, his patriotic spirit being aroused, he enlisted as a member of the One Hundred and Ninety-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, becoming a member of Company A.  With General Hancock's Corps he went to Virginia and participated in a number of skirmishes.  He was ill for a time in a hospital but when able to be on the field of battle rendered valiant service in defense of his country.  He enlisted for but one year but served until the close of hostilities, being mustered out at Baltimore, Maryland, and he was honorably discharged at Columbus, Ohio, in August, 1865.
Returning to his home in Wood county, that state, Mr. Ford then opened a photograph gallery, conducting the same one winter.  Subsequently, in the spring of 1866, he went to Fulton county, Illinois, and there worked on a farm two years.  Believing that Iowa offered good opportunity to the agriculturist, he then went to Dallas county, this state, and purchased a farm near Adel, and cultivated his place two years, after which he returned once more to Fulton county, Illinois, his wife, having in the meantime, inherited a farm of one hundred and thirty acres at that place.  He cultivated that place for a decade and subsequently returned once more to Iowa, purchasing a farm of three hundred and nine acres in Jefferson township, Taylor county.  Taking up his abode thereon, he gave his attention to the further development and improvement of the tract and as his financial resources permitted he added to his holdings until his place embraced four hundred and forty acres.  In addition to carrying on general farming he also raised and fed stock on quite an extensive scale and through this means greatly enhanced his financial condition.  In 1892 he decided to leave the farm, which he rented to his children, while later he divided his property among them, and Mr. Ford removed to Blockton, having in the meantime purchased thirty-seven acres within the corporation limits.  After adding many improvements thereto, he traded the property for a nice home in this city and here he has continued to live to the present time.  For two years after coming to this city Mr. Ford engaged in the real-estate and insurance business but has now put aside all business cares and is living retired, his invested interests bringing to him an income which supplies him with all the comforts of life.
It was while a resident of Fulton county, Illinois, that Mr. Ford was married June 9, 1868, to Miss Eliza Brown, who was there born and reared.  She is a daughter of John Brown, whose parents were among the first settlers of Fulton county, he having been taken to that county as a child.  His maternal grandfather, Peter Barrows, was a soldier of the Revolutionary war and was wounded at the battle of Bunker Hill.  John Brown was reared in Fulton county and was there married to Miss Delila Hoffman, who was born in the Buckeye State.  The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Ford has been blessed with five children, two sons and three daughters, namely: Ernest and Thomas, who are farmers of Jefferson township, Taylor county; Flora, the wife of Edward Raper, who also follows farming in Jefferson township; Nellie, the wife of U. S. Severns, a resident of (page 612) Fairmont, Nebraska; and Effie, the wife of Warren Sharp, of Jefferson township.  Mr. Sharp is a son of William Sharp, a well known resident of Blockton.
A democrat in principle and practice, Mr. Ford has ever taken a deep interest in public affairs and while living on the farm served for several years as justice of the peace and was also identified with the school board.  He likewise filled the office of mayor several terms and has been a member of the city council a number of years.  In all these public positions he has ever discharged his duties efficiently and has thereby gained and retained the full confidence of his fellow citizens.  Both Mr. and Mrs. Ford are members of the Methodist Episcopal church and for a number of years Mr. Ford served as Sunday-school superintendent.  Fraternally he is a member of the Knights of Pythias lodge at Blockton and maintains pleasant relations with his army comrades through his membership in the G. A. R. post at this place.  A man of tried integrity and worth, Mr. Ford is numbered among Taylor county's most progressive and public-spirited men and Blockton takes great pride in numbering him among her most worthy and respected citizens.