History of Taylor County, Iowa: from the earliest historic times to 1910 by  Frank E. Crosson. Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910
(transcribed by Linda Kestner: lfkestner3@msn.com)
Page 593
Dr. T. W. Bennett, making his home in Lenox, is actively engaged in the practice of medicine in Taylor, Union, Adams and Ringgold counties.  He has here resided since March, 1882, and in the intervening years has proven his worth as a citizen and as a representative of the medical fraternity.  His thorough understanding of the principles of medicine and his conscientious discharge of his duties have gained him the unqualified respect of all with whom he has been associated.
He is one of Iowa's native sons, his birth having occurred in Washington county, December 1, 1852.  His parents were William and Catherine (Wilkins) Bennett, natives of New Jersey and of Nashville, Tennessee, respectively, but were married in Washington county, Iowa, in 1845.  The father was of German descent.  On coming to Iowa in 1836, he first located in Des Moines county and from there removed to Washington county, where he entered a tract of government land.  He died upon that farm in 1879 at the age of sixty-nine years, but his wife passed away in Wathena, Kansas, at the age of seventy-nine.  Both were earnest and consistent members of the Presbyterian church and throughout life the father followed the occupation of farming.
Dr. Bennett was reared in Crawfordsville, Iowa, where he attended the public schools, after which he continued his studies in Iowa City and in the Mount Pleasant College.  A review of the business field and the opportunities offered along the various industrial, commercial and professional lines led him to the conclusion that he preferred the practice of medicine as a life work and to this end he studied under the direction of Dr. J. D. Miles, of Crawfordsville.  He afterward pursued a course in the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Keokuk and was graduated with the class of 1877.  He then practiced for five years in his native town, after which he removed to Lenox and is now one of the oldest practitioners of Taylor county, having for twenty-seven years followed his profession in this part of the state.  Throughout the entire period he has kept abreast with the progress made by the medical fraternity, his investigations and researches bringing to him wide and comprehensive knowledge.  He is a member of the Taylor County Medical Society, the Iowa State Medical Society and the Southwestern Medical Society and has read a number of papers before their meetings.
(Page 594)  Dr. T. W. Bennett was married in Crawfordsville, Iowa, July 3, 1876, to Miss Emma Jackson, a native of Canada, who came to this state during her early girlhood and was here reared.  They have no children of their own but have an adopted son, Floyd V. Bennett, who has been a member of their household from the age of three years.  They are prominent in the social circles of the city and county, having an extended circle of warm and admiring friends.
Aside from his practice the Doctor is a director in the First National Bank of Lenox, of which he was one of the organizers.  He is also president of the Clearfield & Lenox Mutual Telephone Company, which he aided in promoting, was one of the promoters and is the president of the Electric Light & Power Company and is the owner of considerable real estate, having made investments in land in Michigan and Texas.  He is also the owner of valuable property in Lenox, where he has built several residences.  Politically he has been a life-long republican, casting his first presidential ballot for Rutherford B. Hayes in 1876.  He filled the office of coroner for two terms and in 1908 higher political honors were conferred upon him in his election to the state senate from the sixth district.  While a member of the general assembly he gave consideration to each question which came up for settlement and left the impress of his individuality for good upon the work of the senate.  He served as a member of the ways and means committee and also the committees on insurance, pharmacy, public health, suppression of intemperance, constitutional amendments, senatorial and representative, suffrage and labor.  He has frequently been a delegate to the county and state conventions and his labors have been effective forces in promoting the growth and insuring the success of his party.
For years Dr. Bennett has been a trustee and a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal church and is a member of the Masonic fraternity, being connected with Lenox lodge, the chapter at Corning, the commandery at Creston and the Mystic Shrine at St. Joseph, Missouri.  For eleven years he was master of Tremont Lodge, A. F. & A. M., of Lenox.  Both he and his wife are members of the Eastern Star and Mrs. Bennett is connected with the Relief Corps, of which she was president for years.  The Doctor ranks as one of the most public-spirited citizens of Taylor county, his labors constituting an important element in general progress and improvement, while in is profession he stands among the foremost in this section of the state