History of Taylor County, Iowa: from the earliest historic times to 1910 by  Frank E. Crosson. Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910
(transcribed by Linda Kestner: lfkestner3@msn.com)
Page 582
Among the younger class of residents of Washington township who are meeting with success in their farming operations is Samuel William Brand, owning and operating a farm of one hundred and twenty acres of fine land.  A native of Illinois, he was born in McDonough county on the 17th of March, 1881, and is a son of George and Sarah Rosella (Crabb) Brand.  The father, who was born in Illinois in 1853, still survives and makes his home upon his farm in Washington township, where he is successfully engaged in agricultural pursuits.  He was married in 1880 to Miss Sarah Rosella Crabb, and in their family were four children, Samuel William, Ezra, Lena and Rosa, the last two being now deceased.  The Crabb family originally came from Illinois and Mrs. Brand was one of a family of three children, the others being: John M., of Clarinda; and Ella, the wife of Jesse Bullock.  After the death of his first wife George Brand was again married, his second union being with Mrs. Dell Clark, by whom he has one daughter, Bessie.  By her former marriage Mrs. Brand has three daughters: Pearl, Eva and Mable.
Samuel William Brand is indebted to the public schools of Atchison county, Missouri, for the educational privileges which he enjoyed, remaining a student there until 1900.  The periods of vacation were devoted to assisting his father in the work of the farm, wherein he learned lessons concerning the value of energy, industry and perseverance.  He remained under the parental roof until twenty-two years of age, when, crossing the threshold of the business world, he engaged in agricultural pursuits on his own account, purchasing the farm upon which he now resides.  This consists of one hundred and twenty acres of fine land, and that his early training upon the home farm was thorough and (page 583) comprehensive is indicated by the fact that his place is today one of the well-improved farming properties of the locality, responding readily to the care and labor bestowed upon it and bearing evidence in its well-kept and attractive appearance of the progressive and up-to-date methods of its owner.  Aside from tilling the soil and raising the cereals best adapted to the soil and climate, Mr. Brand devotes considerable time to raising cattle, horses and hogs.  He has also raised some sheep.  His efforts along the line of his chosen work have been crowned with gratifying success during his brief business career, and as he has prospered he has added various improvements to his farm, having erected one of the best and most attractive residences in his section of the township.  He has also built substantial barns and outbuildings which stand as monuments to his enterprise and thrift.
Mr. Brand was united in marriage in Clarinda, Page county, Iowa on the 28th of December, 1904, to Miss Maud Gertrude Gilmore, a daughter of J. W. and Emma Gilmore, the former a prominent farmer residing in Nebraska.  Unto this union was born, April 16, 1907, a daughter Edna Irene, who is the light and life of the household.  Although Mr. Brand is one of the recent arrivals in Washington township, he has, nevertheless, during his brief residence here gained many friends and his salient characteristics are such as to command the honor, respect and good will of all with whom he is associated.  A man young in years, he has already won a degree of success in his business ventures that augurs well for a bright future.