History of Taylor County, Iowa: from the earliest historic times to 1910 by Frank E. Crosson. Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910
(biographicals transcribed by Linda Kestner: email@example.com)
REUBEN C. QUICK
Reuben C. Quick, now living retired in Blockton, was for fourteen years closely identified with agricultural interests in Taylor county, ranking among the well known and prosperous farmers and stock raisers of Gay township. Born in Whitley county, Indiana, December 20, 1862, he is a son of Oliver and Sarah (Priest) Quick, natives of Ohio, where they were reared and married. The father engaged in agricultural pursuits in Ohio for some years and later removed to Whitley county, Indiana, being among the early settlers of that district. The region was largely wild and uncultivated at the time of his arrival and he was obliged to clear a space in the forest in order to erect his cabin. He (page 564) at once set about improving and developing the land and soon had one hundred and sixty acres of land under a good state of cultivation. Subsequently he sold this property and moved to Iowa, locating in Mahaska county near Oskaloosa, where for some years he devoted his attention to raising and shipping stock. Later he removed to Hancock county locating upon a farm, where his death occurred a few years afterward. His first wife, Mrs. Sarah (Priest) Quick, was taken ill and passed away while on a visit to Ohio from Indiana. Later Mr. Quick married again and is still survived by his second wife, who has also again married.
Reuben C. Quick was a little lad of ten years when, in 1862, he accompanied his parents upon their removal from Indiana to Iowa, the family locating in Mahaska county. There the period of his boyhood and youth were spent, while he acquired his education in the common schools of Oskaloosa. Under the parental roof he grew to manhood, in the meantime assisting his father in the cultivation of his farm, whereby he gained a good, practical knowledge concerning the best methods of tilling the soil, planting the various cereals and harvesting the crops. That his early training was thorough and comprehensive is indicated in the success which later attended his efforts after he had entered the business world upon his own account.
Mr. Quick was married on the 11th of March, 1875, to Miss Susan McDonough, who was born in Ohio, a daughter of Aden McDonough, also a native of that state. Her grandfather, who was born in Ireland, early came to America and was among the pioneer settlers of Ohio. In that state Mrs. Quick was reared and educated, and later removed to Mahaska county, Iowa, where she was married.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Quick began their domestic life upon a farm in Mahaska county, which Mr. Quick continued to cultivate until 1883, when he sold that property and came to Taylor county, purchasing a farm in Gay township. Directing his entire time and attention to its further improvement and cultivation, he repaired and remodeled the residence which stood upon the the place, built a good windmill, commodious and substantial barns and outbuildings, and set out a good orchard. He was untiring in his efforts and through his unfaltering diligence and indefatigable perseverance he succeeded in making his farm, which consists of eight acres located in the center of Gay township, one of the valuable and desirable properties of the community. He engaged in general farming, cultivating the crops best adapted to soil and climate, and in connection therewith gave much attention to the feeding and raising of stock, fattening from one to two carloads of live stock per year. Both branches of his business proved remunerative and he continued to prosper until the spring of 1909, when, feeling that the measure of success which he had attained justified his retirement from active labor, he left the farm and removed to Blockton, where he purchased a comfortable residence and has since made it his home, enjoying in well earned rest the fruits of his former toil.
The home of Mr. and Mrs. Quick was blessed by the birth of two children. One daughter, Effie, passed away when only three years of age, while the surviving daughter is now the wife of Frank Cotterson, who is operating the Quick farm. They have a little son, Bruce Cotterson.
(Page 565) Mr. Quick and his wife are members of the Blockton Methodist Episcopal church, and their many good traits of character have gained for them the respect of the people among whom they reside. Politically Mr. Quick gives his allegiance to the republican party, and although never seeking nor desiring public office for himself, he takes an active interest in the affairs of the community, doing all in his power to promote the general welfare. During his many years of residence in Gay township he has become well known because of his strict business integrity and honorable manhood, and he ranks high among Taylor county's substantial and representative citizens.
HARVEY A. WINN RAYNOR
Harvey A. Winn Raynor, whose activity and enterprise in agricultural lines are bringing to him a most gratifying degree of success, was born in Mason township, Taylor county, November 12, 1861, a son of Henry and Miriam (Westenhofer) Raynor. The paternal grandfather, Henry Raynor, Sr., originally came from England, founding the family in Ohio, where his death occurred. His brother was Gabriel Raynor, while his son, Henry Raynor, Jr., was one of a family of four sons, the other three, Joseph, William and Lafayette, having all passed away. Henry Raynor, Jr., the father of our subject, was a pioneer farmer of Taylor county, who married Miriam Westenhofer, a daughter of George Westenhofer, who came of German lineage. She was one of a family of five children born to her parents, the others being Henry, George, James and Rhodes. She became the mother of the following children: Harvey A., of this review; William; Lafayette; Parker, now deceased; Ferdinand, who has also passed away; Austin; Lewis and Ulysses.
Reared under the parental roof, Harvey A. Raynor acquired his education in the district schools of Mason township, remaining a pupil therein until twenty-one years of age, and then, after laying aside his text-books, he assisted his father in the work of the farm until twenty-two years of age. A year subsequent to his leaving home he purchased a farm in Kansas, which he operated for a year, and then returned to his home and for a number of years was engaged in working the old homestead. Later he purchased the farm and has since devoted his energies to its further development. He carries on general farming and also engages in stock-raising, and has been signally successful in his business interests. He has made all of the improvements upon the farm, and (page 388) everything about the place indicates that he is in touch with the modern spirit of progress which is manifest in agricultural lines. The farm consists of one hundred and twenty acres of land, and is one of the valuable and highly improved properties in the township.
Mr. Raynor was united in marriage in Mason township on the 25th of December, 1883, to Miss Cora Smith, a daughter of Rev. Daniel T. and Frances (Jones) Smith. The Smith family originally came from Kentucky, D. T. Smith, the grandfather of Mrs. Raynor, having been identified with agricultural interests in that state. Rev. Daniel T. Smith was a minister of the Baptist church of Grainfield, Gove county, Kansas, and was a man of excellent character, whose life and influence were an inspiration to all with whom he came in contact. Mrs. Raynor was the sister of the following: Thomas J.; George W.; Theodosha; Mary; Edgar; Myrta; Abigail; James; and Dollie. Unto Mr. and Mrs. Raynor have been born four children, namely: Myrtle, the wife of R. C. Pittman, principal of the New Market high school; Lloyd; Flossie and Frank. The parents are members of the Baptist church of New Market, being actively interested in the various phases of the church work, while their lives are at all times in sympathy with their professions. Mr. Raynor gives his political allegiance to the republican party and does all in his power to further the interests thereof, while he has served as a director of the school board, the cause of education finding in him a warm champion. Fraternally he is a Master Mason, and his various interests have served to make his a well rounded nature, keenly alive to life's contacts and life's relations.
A highly cultivated and well improved farm of two hundred acres, situated in Ross township, has been the home of George Reece since the fall of 1905, he having purchased the property the previous year. He is a native son of Taylor county, his birth having occurred on a farm, August 6, 1871. His father, R. M. Reece, was born in Indiana, and was a lad of eleven years when he came to Iowa, his first home in this state being in Louisa county, where he was reared and educated. He then located in Taylor county and was here married to Margrett Swaim. He opened up a farm here, which he cultivated until 1882, when he disposed of his interests here and went to Gentry county, Missouri, but in 1901 removed to Clay county, Illinois, where he still resides. At the time of the Civil war he enlisted for three years' service, joining Company I, of the Eleventh Iowa Regiment in Louisa county.
George Reece, whose name introduces this review, was a lad of eleven years when he was taken by his parents to Gentry county, Missouri, so that he was practically reared in that state, where he acquired his education in the common schools. He remained under the parental roof until he had reached mature years, when he started out to make his own way in the world by working on a farm for two years. He was subsequently married in Taylor county, to Miss Eva May Spencer, their marriage ceremony being celebrated February 20, 1895. Mrs. Reece was born in Missouri but was reared in Taylor county. Her father, Andrew Spencer, now makes his home in Bedford.
Following his marriage Mr. Reece located in Ross township on a rented farm, which he cultivated two and a half years. During this time, owing to his own hard labor and the assistance of his estimable wife, he saved the money which enabled him, at the end of that time to purchase eighty acres. Removing to that place he farmed it for two years and then disposed of the farm and invested his money in one hundred and sixty acres in the same township. After an ownership of two years, he disposed of that property at a good profit, after which he rented the Beard farm in Ross township, operating the same three years, but in the meantime, he purchased and sold two farms and in this manner made a nice sum of money. In 1904, he purchased the farm upon which he now lives, but did not take up his abode thereon until the following years, in 1905. He at once undertook the task of improving the place, repaired and added to the buildings, fenced the fields, rebuilt the barn and built a granary and now has an excellent set of farm buildings. His place comprises two hundred acres situated on section I, Ross township. He is busily occupied in carrying on general farming and also breeds and deals in Aberdeen Angus cattle and Poland (page 515) China hogs. He is watchful of every opportunity pointing to success and the fine farm property of which he is today the possessor is an evidence that his efforts have been richly rewarded.
The home of Mr. and Mrs. Reece has been blessed with two daughters and a son: Geneva Gale, Ava Agnes and John S. Politically Mr. Reece is a democrat and has filled some township offices including that of clerk, road commissioner and township trustee, in the latter of which he has served two terms, being the present incumbent. He takes great pleasure in travel, some of his more enjoyable trips being to Portland, Oregon, and to the Yellowstone National Park. He is a member of the Odd Fellows lodge at Bedford.
Starting out in life empty-handed, Mr. Reece has won creditable success, standing today among the representative farmers and progressive citizens of Taylor county, where the greater part of his life has been spent. He is therefore well known and all have for him the utmost respect and good will.
GEORGE N. REED
George N. Reed is well known as a prosperous and progressive farmer of Taylor county, owning one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 9, Grove township, but he is also well known in other connections, for he is the propagator of Yellow Dent corn which has gained favor in Iowa as well as in many other states of the Union. He was born in Marion county, Ohio, November 20, 1862, a son of James and Sarah Ann (Dodd) Reed. The former was a native of Delaware, whence he removed with his parents to Ohio, being reared in Marion county. He was married to Miss Sarah Ann Dodd, a native of Delaware, after which he took up his abode in Mahaska county, Iowa, in 1863. He farmed in that district for several years and then removed to Keokuk county, this state, where he followed similar pursuits, while still later he continued his journey westward, locating in Harlan county, Nebraska, where both he and his wife still reside, being hale and hearty at the respective ages of seventy-six and seventy-four years.
George N. Reed, whose name introduces this record, accompanied his parents on their various removals in Iowa and acquired his education in the schools of Mahaska and Keokuk counties. He remained with his father until twenty years of age and a year later, on the 13th of September, 1883, was united in marriage to Miss Florence McFall, who was born and reared in Mahaska county and completed her education in the Oskaloosa schools, after which she followed teaching for some years prior to her marriage.
Following his marriage Mr. Reed located on a farm in Keokuk county, operating rented land for several years. He worked earnestly and persistently and in course of years accumulated a sum of money which justified the purchase of land. He remained In Keokuk county until 1895, when he disposed of his farming (page 532) property there and invested his money in one hundred and sixty acres located on section 9, Grove township, Taylor county. On this he erected a commodious two-story residence, a good barn, corn crib, machine shed, and other outbuildings, built fences, set out an orchard and now has a well improved property. He also owns one hundred and sixty acres in Dodge county, Minnesota, and another farm of one hundred and thirty-eight and a half acres in Anoka county, that state, both of which are well improved. In addition to the operation of his home place he also cultivates eighty acres which he rents. For the past year years he has given much attention to the raising of seed corn -- improving and breeding the well-known Yellow Dent corn. Its many good qualities have been tested and Mr. Reed has made exhibitions at various state and county fairs and his corn has won many premiums. He has also experimented with winter barley and has raised two crops annually with an average yield of about forty bushels per acre. He also raises Poland China hogs and shorthorn cattle and has held many public sales, his stock always bringing to him good prices.
Mr. and Mrs. Reed are the parents of four sons and two daughters, as follows: Sterling, who is married and resides in Idaho; Jesse, who operates one of his father's farms in Minnesota; Ernest, at home; Earl, who is attending school; Alta, who is keeping house for her brother in Minnesota; and Lois, who expects to become a professional nurse, pursuing her studies in Ainsworth Hospital at St. Joseph, Missouri. They also lost one son, who died in infancy.
Mr. Reed gives his political support to the men and measures whom he deems best qualified for office, regardless of party ties. He has served as a delegate to county conventions and for the past two years has filled the office of justice of the peace. Starting out in life empty-handed he has through his diligence and persistency of purpose and the assistance of his estimable wife worked his way upward until today he is the owner of three well improved farms. He has not only made a success of the occupation which he has made his life work but he is as well a valued citizen, ever studying out new methods and seeking to advance the agricultural interests of Taylor county and other sections of the state.
JOHN C. F. REED
John C. F. Reed who devotes his time and energies to the pursuits of farming and stock-raising, is the owner of a valuable and well improved farm of one hundred and sixty acres on section 26, Platte township, where he resides, and also has a tract of forty acres in another section. He is numbered among the worthy native sons of Iowa, his birth having occurred in Union county, this state on the 26th of May, 1863. His father, J. H. Reed, was born, reared and married in Ohio. In 1852 he made the overland trip to California, spending about two years in the gold mines of that state. His wife passed away while he was in the west and after returning from the Pacific coast he made his way to Union county, Iowa, about 1855. There he opened up a new farm, gradually transforming the once barren land into a rich and productive property. Subsequently he disposed of the place and came to Taylor county, where he spent the remainder of his life, his demise occurring in 1885 when he was sixty-nine years of age. He owned six hundred acres of valuable land in this county and was long numbered among its most prosperous, enterprising and representative citizens. While a resident of Union county he married Miss Demaris Bliss, who was born in the east but was reared in that county. She survived her husband for eight years. By his first wife J H. Reed had one son, J. H. Jr., who now follows farming in Adams county, Iowa. By his second marriage he had five sons and seven daughters, those still living being: John C. F., of this review; William, a prominent agriculturist of Taylor county; Truman, a resident of Adair county, Iowa; and David, who lives on the old home place near Lenox.
(Page 528) John C. F. Reed was reared on the home farm in this county, early becoming familiar with the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the agriculturist through the assistance which he rendered his father in the work of the fields. When twenty-four years of age he left the parental roof and bought the farm of one hundred and sixty acres on section 26, Platte township, where he has since resided and in the cultivation and improvement of which he has been busily engaged to the present time. He built a commodious and substantial two-story residence, two large barns and good outbuildings and also planted an orchard and a fine grove of maple trees. In addition to the cultivation of cereals he also raises and feeds hogs and horses, both branches of his business returning to him a gratifying annual income. About 1898 he purchased an additional tract of forty acres in this county and also owns one hundred and sixty acres of pasture land in Ringgold county. As the years have gone by his capable management and energy have brought to him well earned and justly merited success and he is widely recognized as a most progressive and substantial citizen.
On the 19th of December, 1888, in Adams county, Iowa, Mr. Reed was united in marriage to Miss Lenora A. Custer, who was born in Henry county, this state, but was reared in Adams county. They now have a family of six sons and two daughters, as follows: Harry, Alpha E., Ralph E., Glen C., Adis M., Harley O., Mary E. and Helen A. Mr. and Mrs. Reed lost a daughter, Lola E., who died at the age of two years.
In his political views Mr. Reed is a stanch republican and has capably served in the office of road supervisor, while at the present time he is a member of the school board, with which he has been connected for some years. Fraternally he is identified with the Woodmen at Clearfield, while his religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Calvary Methodist Episcopal church, with which his wife is also affiliated. Long a resident of Taylor county, he is widely known within its borders and the substantial qualities which he has displayed in his citizenship and in his business relations have gained him a high place in the regard and good will of his fellow townsmen.