History of Taylor County, Iowa: from the earliest historic times to 1910 by Frank E. Crosson. Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910
(biographicals transcribed by Linda Kestner: email@example.com)
For more than a half century Lock Campbell has been a resident of Taylor county and during this period has been closely identified with the marvelous growth and development which has been carried on within its borders. A native of Iowa, he has been a life-long resident of this state, and during the period covered by his active business career has been instrumental in the improvement of three different farming properties.
Born in Lee county on the 5th of November, 1847, he is a son of John and Esther (McClain) Campbell, both natives of Ohio, the former of Guernsey county and the latter of Licking county. The father was reared and married in Guernsey county and in 1842 arrived in Iowa, casting in his lot with the pioneer settlers of Lee county. There he purchased a farm of two hundred and forty acres, upon which he made his home until 1855, when he invested in four hundred acres in Benton township, Taylor county, to which he removed and upon which he resided for five years. In 1860 he withdrew from agricultural pursuits and removed to Bedford, where he was engaged in merchandising for five years. He passed away in 1886, in Ringgold county, Iowa, at the age of seventy-six years, while his wife's death occurred in 1857. They were the parents of five children.
To the common schools of Lee county and of Bedford Lock Campbell is indebted for the educational advantages which he enjoyed during the period of his boyhood and youth. He lost his mother when a little lad of ten years and remained under his father's care until he attained his majority, when he started out in business on his own account, engaging in agricultural pursuits in partnership with his brother-in-law. He was thus connected until his marriage, after which he purchased eighty acres in Clayton township and later added eighty acres. Few improvements had been made upon the farm when it came into his possession, but with characteristic energy he set about breaking the soil and converting the land into productive fields. He erected a house and a small barn and continued in the work of cultivating and developing the place until 1884. In that year he purchased the farm upon which he now makes his home, consisting of eighty acres on section 20, Grant township, to the further improvement of which he has since directed his efforts. The only dwelling that stood upon the farm at the time of purchase was a little log house which has since given place to a modern (page 542) frame structure, while Mr. Campbell has also erected substantial barns and outbuildings and has surrounded his fields with good fences. He has a large orchard of apple, peach and cherry trees, which yield rich fruits in their season. In fact everything about the place indicates that he is in touch with the modern spirit of progress which is manifest in agricultural lines, and his farming interests have been so wisely and carefully conducted that he has won substantial success. Aside from his farming interests he also devotes much time to raising and feeding stock, and he is enjoying a most gratifying income from the fact that both branches of his business -- the raising of grain and the raising of stock -- are proving most profitable.
On the 9th of April, 1877, Mr. Campbell was united in marriage to Miss Ethel Wright, a native of Clayton township, Taylor county, where she was reared and married. Unto that union were born two children, namely: Hollis E., the wife of W. L. Ross, of Wayne county, Nebraska; and Harry B., of Hill City, South Dakota. In February, 1884, Mr. Campbell was called upon to mourn the loss of his first wife, and later in the same year, in Conway, Iowa, he was again married, his second union being with Mrs. Clara Robinson. This union has been blessed with one daughter, Clara, the wife of E. Harrigan, who resides with our subject and assists in the operation of the home farm.
Mr. and Mrs. Campbell are members of the Methodist Episcopal church, while fraternally Mr. Campbell is a Master Mason, being identified with the blue lodge of Bedford, of which he has been a member for more than thirty years. He gives his political support to the republican party, having cast his first presidential vote for General U. S. Grant in 1872, since which time he has supported every candidate on that ticket. For more than five decades he has been a resident of Taylor county and during that period has been thoroughly identified with its interests. When he first took up his abode within its borders not a frame house was to be seen in the city of Bedford, which was then a little village of log cabins. In the years covering his residence here he has witnessed the county's growth and progress, nor has he been alone an interested witness for he has aided in the work of development.
D. L. CARTER
Agricultural pursuits have characterized the efforts of D. L. Carter throughout his entire business career, extending over a period of about twenty years. Born in Henderson county, Illinois, on the 4th of January, 1866, he is a son of James T. Carter, a successful farmer of Grove township, who is now living retired and whose sketch appears on another page of this volume.
D. L. Carter was a lad of thirteen years when he came with his parents to Taylor county, and his education, which had been begun in his native county, was here completed in the public schools and in Shenandoah College. Amid the activities of rural life he was reared to manhood, and on his father's farm laid the foundation for his future success -- broad and practical experience -- early learning lessons concerning the value of industry, energy and perseverance. He remained under the parental roof until twenty-five years of age, giving his father the benefit of his assistance in the operation of the home farm and in the conduct of his business affairs.
Mr. Carter then purchased a farm of two hundred and forty acres near Sharpsburg, which he developed and improved upon which he resided for eleven years. At the expiration of that period he sold that place and came to his present farm, which was originally a portion of his father's property. The farm, which consisted of three hundred and seventy-five acres located on section 28, Grove township, was under a good state of cultivation when it came into his possession, and he has since directed his energies towards its further development, so that it is today one of the best improved properties in the township. He has erected substantial buildings upon the place and introduced all of the modern conveniences and accessories known for facilitating farm labor, and everything about the place indicates that he has ever kept in close touch with the modern spirit of progress which is manifest in the agricultural world. He has made a close study of agriculture, so that he knows what crops are best adapted to the soil and climate and the proper climate and the proper cultivation of the same, and in connection with this also devotes considerable time and attention to stock feeding, fattening about one hundred head of cattle and two carloads of hogs annually. In this line of activity he has been very successful and both branches of his business, under his careful management, are proving gratifying sources of income.
(Page 669) On the 10th of March, 1891, in Conway, Mr. Carter was united in marriage to Miss Ettie Wilson, who was born and reared in Taylor county and is a sister of B. F. Wilson, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume. Unto them has been born one daughter, Opal, who is the light and life of the household. The parents are prominent and faithful members of the Blue Grove Christian church, Mr. Carter serving as one of the elders, while both are active and helpful in the church and Sunday-school work. Politically he gives his allegiance to the prohibition party at national elections, recognizing the fact that the liquor traffic is one of the greatest evils against which the country today has to contend. At local elections, however, he votes an independent ticket, supporting the best men and measures, uninfluenced by any spirit of partisanship. Public-spirited in citizenship, active and successful in business, and honest and honorable in character, he has won a high place among the representative citizens of Taylor county, within whose borders he has continued to make his home since boyhood, and the fact that many of his warmest friends are those who know him best is an indication that his salient qualities are such as inspire the confidence, respect and good will of his fellowmen.
JAMES T. CARTER
Among the citizens of Grove township, Taylor county, whose well-directed efforts along agricultural lines have made it possible for them to withdraw from active business life and enjoy in well-earned rest the fruits of their former toil, is James T. Carter, a native of Muskingum county, Ohio, his birth occurring near Zanesville on the 24th of April, 1840. Under the parental roof he was reared to manhood, acquiring his education in the district schools of his native county, and at the same time he gained a thorough and practical knowledge of the best methods of plowing, planting and harvesting, assisting his father in the operation of the home farm until about nineteen years of age.
Mr. Carter then went to Henderson county, Illinois, where he later purchased and opened up a farm of three hundred and twenty acres in partnership with his brother, W. M. Carter. He carried on agricultural pursuits in that county until 1879, in which year he came to Iowa, having previously purchased four hundred acres of raw prairie land in Grove township, Taylor county. For some time he was engaged in the arduous and difficult task of developing new farming land, in the meantime meeting many obstacles and hardships, but determination and ambition were strong within him and he persevered from year to year until his efforts were crowned with gratifying success. He and his brother became the owners of one thousand acres of valuable land. The property, which was but partially improved when it came into their possession, was, under their wise management and careful direction, brought under a high state of cultivation. Later the brothers severed their connection and divided the property, and James T. Carter added to his holdings from time to time until he eventually owned six hundred and forty-five acres of well-developed land, all in one body, constituting him one of the extensive landowners of Grove township. He made many improvements upon the farm and in addition to general agricultural pursuits gave considerable attention to stock interests, breeding and dealing in Percheron horses, and having in his possession many fine specimens. He also made a specialty of feeding and fattening cattle for the market, and the excellence of his stock commanded high prices and ready sales. He was thus engaged upon that farm (page 655) until the year 1902, when he took up his abode upon his present farm, consisting of five hundred acres of valuable land on section 28, Grove township, and equipped with three sets of buildings, all in excellent condition. It is a well-improved property, in the midst of which he has erected a neat and attractive residence, and here he is now living practically retired from the active duties of business life.
It was on the 9th of March, 1863, in Henderson county, Illinois, that Mr. Carter was united in marriage to Miss S. S. Lovitt, who was born, reared and educated in Muskingum county, Ohio. Unto this union have been born two sons and two daughters, one daughter, Alta May, having passed away in infancy. The others are: Olivia, the wife of A. L. Gordon, of whom mention is made on another page of this book; Darwin L., an extensive stock raiser and farmer of Grove township, a sketch of whom also appears elsewhere in this volume; and Claud, engaged in farming and stock raising in this township.
Mr. Carter's religious belief is indicated in his membership in the Blue Grove Christian church, the teachings of which form the guiding influence in his life. Since age conferred upon him the right of franchise he has given his political allegiance to the democracy on all national issues, but at local elections he supports the best men and measures, regardless of party ties. He served as township clerk for a number of years and has been closely and helpfully identified with educational interests for some time, doing all in his power to advance the standard and efficiency of the schools throughout the township. The record of Mr. Carter has been a long and useful one, in which his efforts have not only been a means of winning for him a most gratifying measure of success, but have also been potent elements in the growth and development of the community at large. Public-spirited in his citizenship, he has ever cooperated in all measures which have for their object material, intellectual and moral development and advancement, and now, in the evening of life, he is yet keenly interested in the community's welfare, the consensus of public opinion according him a foremost place among the most substantial, representative and valued citizens of the township.
Green Chaney, a well-known agriculturist and stock-raiser of Platte township, owns and operates a fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres on section 23. He was born in Greene county, Illinois, on the 12th of June, 1838, but in early life was brought by his parents to Mason county, that state, where he was reared. After the death of his father he and the other children of the family took charge of the home farm and cared for the mother until she, too, was called to her final rest.
On the 1st of September, 1861, Green Chaney wedded Miss Martha Short, likewise a native of Greene county, Illinois, and continued to reside on the old homestead place where he was reared. His wife passed away about a year after their marriage and on the 27th of December, 1865, he wedded Miss Mary C. Kelley, who was a native of Tennessee but was reared in Mason county, Illinois, from the age of twelve years. A few years later to took up his abode in Dewitt county, Illinois, where he purchased a farm and remained for a period of twenty-three years, devoting his time and energies to general agricultural pursuits with excellent success. In November, 1890, he disposed of the property and came to Taylor county, Iowa, purchasing a farm of one hundred and twenty acres on section 23, Platte township. The place was badly run down but he set resolutely to work, added to and remodeled the house, erected a large barn and good outbuildings and in fact carried on the work of improvement and cultivation until the property is now lacking in none of the equipments and accessories of a model farm of the twentieth century. The farm is divided into fields of convenient size by well kept fences and the attractiveness of the place is greatly enhanced by a fine grove and orchard. Mr. Chaney has extended the boundaries of his farm by an additional purchase of forty acres and now owns a quarter section of rich and productive land, which returns to him a gratifying annual income. In addition to cultivating the cereals best adapted to soil and climate, he is also engaged in the raising and feeding of stock, breeding shorthorn cattle on quite an extensive scale. The son now carries on the business.
(page 527) Unto Mr. and Mrs. Chaney have been born three children. C. E. Chaney, the eldest, who makes his home near New Orleans, is a railroad agent for the Illinois Central Railway Company. Albert M., who conducts the home farm, is a breeder and dealer in shorthorn cattle, now having a herd of about thirty, with a full blooded male at the head. He is an alert and energetic young man and is widely recognized as a successful and enterprising citizen. Sally E., the youngest child of our subject, is the wife of J. O. Shawler, who resides at Council Bluffs, Iowa.
Politically Mr. Chaney is a stalwart advocate of the principles of the democracy but has never sought nor desired office as a reward for his party fealty. While a resident of Dewitt county, however, he served as road supervisor. Both he and his wife are devoted members of the Baptist church at Clearfield, while fraternally he is identified with the Masonic lodge at Lenox. His son, Albert M., is a Master Mason and belongs to the blue lodge at Clearfield. Green Chaney has now passed the seventy-first milestone on life's journey and receives the respect and veneration which should ever be accorded one who has traveled thus far on this earthly pilgrimage and whose career has been at all times upright and honorable. He is well and favorably known throughout the community in which he has resided for the past eighteen years and the circle of his friends is almost coextensive with the circle of his acquaintances.
JOHN F. CHRISTIANSON
John F. Christianson, a progressive and prosperous farmer of Marshall township, Taylor county, belongs to that class of representative American citizens who claim Sweden as the land of their nativity and who in the new world have found opportunity for advancement and progress. Born in Sweden on the 1st of September, 1869, he was there reared and educated, acquiring excellent training in the Swedish language in the common and select schools of his native country. He was twenty years of age when, in 1889, he came to America, attracted by the broader business opportunities and advantages offered in the new world. Crossing the Atlantic he located first in Pennsylvania, where for about a year he was employed in the factory of the Elk Company.
(Page 621) The spring of 1890, however, witnessed his arrival in Taylor county, Iowa, where for about six years he was engaged as a farm hand during the summer seasons, the winter months being devoted to learning the English language in a school at Silver Lake. On the expiration of that period he returned to Sweden to visit his parents and spent about five months in his old home, after which he again came to Taylor county and here on March 18, 1895, was united in marriage, the lady of his choice being Miss Ida Amanda Blade, who was also born and reared in Sweden.
After his marriage Mr. Christianson located in Conway, where he resided for several years, and then, in the spring of 1901, purchased one hundred and eighty acres of land in Marshall township, to which he removed and which forms a part of his present property. He at once set about its further development and later added another tract of thirty-five acres, so that his farm now consists of two hundred and fifteen acres located on section 5, Marshall township. He erected large and substantial barns and outbuildings, enclosed the place with good fences and extended the orchard and grove, while in the midst of a beautiful and well-kept lawn he built a comfortable and attractive residence. He carries on general farming and also engages in raising cattle, hogs and horses, and through indefatigable energy and careful management of his affairs has gained rank among the substantial agriculturists of the township. Enterprising and progressive to a large degree, these qualities have been salient elements in the success which is today his.
As the years have come and gone the union of Mrs. and Mrs. Christianson was blessed with four children, the eldest of whom, Carl, passed away at the age of seven months. Three daughters survive, Edith A., Adina M. and Ruth E., and are all yet under the parental roof. Mr. Christianson was reared in the Lutheran faith, the teachings of which form the guiding influence of his life. In politics he has given his allegiance to the socialist party for the past five years, believing that the principles of that organization are best adapted to conserve the general welfare. Coming to America with no capital and without even a knowledge of the English language, he has worked his way upward in the business world until today he is ranked among the successful self-made men of his township, richly deserving the credit implied in that proud American title. Never has he had occasion to regret his determination to seek a home in the new world, for here he has found the business opportunities which he sought and through their utilization has advanced from a humble place to a position of prominence and affluence in the community.