History of Taylor County, Iowa: from the earliest historic times to 1910 by  Frank E. Crosson. Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910
(transcribed by Linda Kestner: lfkestner3@msn.com)
Page 503
Among the native sons of Taylor county who are seeking their fortune in agricultural lines, is Otis M. Brown, who has also won considerable distinction throughout the community as a well known and successful stock-dealer.  His birth occurred in Grant township on the 4th of October, 1875, and he is a son of David and Martha (Freeman) Brown.  The father, who is now living retired in Sharpsburg, is numbered among the old settlers of Taylor county, within whose borders he carried on agricultural pursuits for a number of years, and from an early day was thoroughly identified with its growth and development.  He was a soldier of the Civil war and gave valuable aid to his country during (page 504) her hour of need.  He is now serving as a member of the town board of Sharpsburg, is an efficient trustee of Marshall township and is one of the county's honored and respected citizens.
Upon his father's farm in Taylor county Otis M. Brown was reared to manhood, and amid the scenes and environment of rural life laid the foundation stone for a future successful career.  He received liberal educational advantages in the common schools near his father's home, and the periods of vacation were devoted to the work of the fields, early becoming familiar with the tasks that fall to the lot of the agriculturist.  Remaining under the parental roof, he continued to give his father the benefit of his assistance until he reached man's estate, when he took up agricultural pursuits on his own account, operating a farm in the capacity of renter for some years.  It was his desire, however, that his efforts should more directly benefit himself, and so, when he felt that his capital justified such a step, he invested in a farm of two hundred acres, known as the old Fisher farm, to which he removed and to the cultivation and development of which he directed his attention until 1895.  In that year he traded that property for his present farm, upon which he has since continued to make his home.  The place at first consisted of one hundred and twenty acres, but he later purchased an adjoining tract of eighty acres, so that he now owns two hundred acres, located on section 18, Marshall township.  When it came into his possession the property was in a neglected condition and greatly out of repair, but his energy was untiring his diligence unfaltering and his perseverance indefatigable, and he at once set himself to its improvement.  With the passing of the years he wrought a great change in the appearance of the farm and today, due entirely to his well directed efforts and wise and careful management, the place stands among the best improved and valuable properties of the locality.  In its midst he has erected a good, substantial dwelling and commodious barns, and outbuildings, all of which stand as monuments to his industry and thrift.  He has enclosed the fields with good woven wire fences and has a fine orchard and grove of his own planting, and everything about the place indicates that he has kept in touch with the modern spirit of progress which is manifest in agricultural lines.  In connection with his general farming he has, for the past three years, made a specialty of breeding and dealing in Belgian and Percheron horses, having sold some very fine animals of those breeds.  He also raises Duro Jersey hogs and has been most successful in his stock interests.  He enjoys a gratifying income from the fact that both branches of his business -- the raising of grain and the raising of stock -- are proving most remunerative, and he is numbered among the substantial, progressive and successful business men of the community.
It was on the 19th of January, 1898, that Mr. Brown was united in marriage in Sharpsburg to Miss Mary Richey, who was born and reared in Taylor county and is a daughter of Isaac Richey, one of the early settlers in this district.  Five children have come to bless this union, namely: Oma W., Roy M., Charles O., Grace A. and Daisy M., all of whom are still under the parental roof.
The parents hold membership in the Sharpsburg Presbyterian church and occupy a very high place in the social circles of the community.  Politically Mr. Brown has given stalwart allegiance to the republican party since age conferred upon him the right of franchise, although he has never held nor been an aspirant for public office as the reward for party fealty.  He was one of the promoters of the Sharpsburg & Gravity Telephone line, serving for two years as its treasurer, and he has also cooperated in many other movements which have been a source of substantial benefit to the community at large.  He has a large circle of friends in Taylor county, within whose borders he has spent his entire life, and those who have been acquainted with him from his boyhood know him as a man of the highest principles and most honorable manhood, whose dealings with his fellow men have ever been such as to inspire the confidence, trust and respect of all with whom he has been associated.