History of Taylor County, Iowa: from the earliest historic times to 1910 by  Frank E. Crosson. Chicago, The S.J. Clarke Publishing Co. 1910
(biographicals transcribed by Linda Kestner: lfkestner3@msn.com)
Page 444
A neat and well-improved farm of one hundred and sixty acres in Grove township pays tribute to the care and labor bestowed upon it by George W. Davis, a native of Coshocton county, Ohio, whose birth there occurred on the 25th of January, 1841.  He is a son of William and Mary (Stamates) Davis, and was but an infant at the time of his father's demise.  He moved to Muskingum county, Ohio, with his widowed mother, who later was again married. There he was reared to manhood and at the age of eleven years was thrown upon his own resources, earning his own livelihood and supporting his mother until fifteen years of age.  Consequently he had no opportunity of attending (page 447) school, being entirely a self-educated man who, by extensive reading and close observation, has gained a wide general knowledge.
In September, 1861, Mr. Davis enlisted from Muskingum county as a soldier in the Civil war, becoming a member of Company D, Sixteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and went south to Kentucky, where he saw much active service.  His first battle was at Crab Orchard and later he participated in the engagement at Cumberland Gap, while he was also present at the siege and surrender of Vicksburg.  Subsequently he was detailed for hospital service, but became ill and was then taken to Keokuk Hospital, where he remained during one winter.  In the spring of 1864, he joined his regiment at Matagorda Bay and later went up the Mississippi River, taking part in the Red River expedition under General Banks, during which period he participated in several skirmishes.  He was then ordered home and honorably discharged at Columbus, Ohio, his term of enlistment covering three years and one month.
After leaving the army, Mr. Davis returned to Muskingum county, Ohio, where he remained during the following winter, and in 1865 went to Illinois, where he worked as a farm hand in both Henderson and McDonough counties for some time.  Later he rented a farm which he operated until 1877, in which year he came to Iowa, purchasing one hundred and twenty acres of raw prairie land in Grove township.  No improvements had been made upon the place and he was confronted with the difficult and arduous task of opening up a new farm and converting the uncultivated land into productive fields.  Nothing daunted, however, he at once directed his efforts toward its development and later purchased another one hundred and twenty acres, soon bringing the entire tract of two hundred and forty acres under a high state of cultivation.  He enclosed his fields with good fences, erected a comfortable and attractive dwelling and substantial and commodious barns and outbuildings, and under his careful management the farm became a well-improved and valuable property.  He later sold eighty acres, so that the home place now consists of one hundred and sixty acres.  He not only carries on general farming but engages to some extent in stock raising and feeding, both branches of his business proving good sources of profit.
It was in September, 1871, that Mr. Davis was united in marriage in Henderson, county, Illinois, to Miss Emma Johnson, and unto this union have been born eleven children, namely: Elmo M., who is married and is conducting business at Fredonia, Kansas; William M., also married and with his brother at Fredonia; Arthur, who is married and resides in North Dakota; Blanche A., the wife of Louis Key, a farmer of Grove township; Lenora, who married Homer Laird, of Mount Ayr, Iowa; Clara, residing at Fredonia, Kansas; Inez, the wife of Charles Gould, of Taylor county; Dollie and Elsie, who are also married; Bonnie, single, who makes her home with her sister Dollie in Fredonia, Kansas; and Walter, who died four years ago.
A careful study of the political situations early led Mr. Davis to give his allegiance to the republican party, as the principles of that organization were, in his opinion, best adapted to conserve the general welfare.  Public-spirited in his citizenship, he has at all times cooperated in all of those movements which have for their object the material, intellectual and moral development of the community (page 448).  Although he has never sought office for himself, he was elected township trustee, which position he filled for some years, and also served efficiently as a member of the school board.  He holds membership in Blue Grove Christian church and is a gentleman of high ideals and honorable and upright manhood.  Having resided in Taylor county for thirty-three years, he has become well known throughout the community in which he resides and also has many acquaintances in Bedford, while a large circle of warm friends hold him in high regard because of his many excellent traits of character.  He has seemed to realize in a large degree his obligations to humanity, and his actions toward his fellowmen have ever been governed by a spirit of brotherly kindness which has made him very popular with all who know him.  Having started out at the early age of eleven years to earn his own living, with no favoring circumstances at the outset of his career, he has worked his way steadily upward in the business world until he has won a most creditable measure of success and richly deserves the proud American title of a self-made man.