(biographicals transcribed by Pat O'Dell: email@example.com)
No history of Taylor county would be complete without mention of Paul Hunter who for many years has been a well-known figure in public circles and has, moreover, been identified with the agricultural interests of Taylor county for several years. He is also numbered among the early settlers of this district, dating his residence here since 1872. Born in Christian county, Illinois, January 14, 1867, he is a son of John and Mary (Weir) Hunter, natives of England and Sangamon county, Illinois, respectively. The former was reared in his native country and later came to the new world, locating in Sangamon county, Illinois, where he was married. He farmed in Clinton county for some years and in 1872 removed to Iowa, settling in Taylor county, where he purchased land in Gay township, his farm consisting of three hundred and twenty acres. Here he reared his family and spent the rest of his life, both he and his wife passing away upon this farm.
Paul Hunter, with two brothers and three sisters, still survive out of a family of four sons and four daughters born unto Mr and Mrs John Hunter. He grew to manhood on his father's farm in Gay township and acquired his early [page 427] education in the common schools. He later supplemented this training by a course of study in the Shenandoah Normal College, and during the latter part of his course there taught during the fall and winter terms. After his graduation from the normal college he was engaged in teaching in Taylor county for seven years. On the 13th of September, 1891, at Bedford, he was united in marriage to Miss Perthena Ann Payton, a native of Illinois who was reared and educated in Taylor county.
Mr and Mrs Hunter commenced their domestic life on the Payton farm in Ross township, where they resided for one year, and then removed to another farm in that township, making their home thereupon until 1896, in which year Mr Hunter was elected clerk of Taylor county. He removed to Bedford and took up the duties of that office in January, 1897. He served for one term and was then reelected for a second term, remaining in office for four years. At the expiration of that period he returned to Ross township and purchased the farm upon which he had previously resided. He devoted his energies toward the further improvement of this place, which consisted of one hundred and sixty acres of valuable land, and continued to make it his place of residence until the fall of 1906, when he sold the property and came to Bedford. Here he was elected a member of the county board of supervisors and served for one term. In 1908 he was relected and is serving in that capacity at the present time. In the latter year he purchased his present farm on section 20, Clayton township, and has since confined his attention to general agricultural pursuits.He also engages to some extent in stock raising and has been most successful in his undertaking. He possesses good business ability, is progressive and up-to-date in his methods and is recognized as one of the prosperous and representative farmers of this township.
The home of Mr and Mrs Hunter has been blessed with two daughters: Eula May, a student in the high school at Bedford; and Opal Marie, also attending that institution, in the same class with her sister.
Mr Hunter is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and politically is a stanch republican. He is well known and active in the local ranks of that party which he has represented several times as delegate at various state and county conventions. He is a man of strict integrity and of genuine personal worth, and the consensus of public opinion accords him a high place among the representative citizens of Taylor county.